View Full Version : Best iRiver to get?

David Delaney
August 7th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Looking for advice on the best Iriver recorder (ebay) to get...I want to use it for weddings and for some short film work as well.

If there are any other devices that I am going to need with the iRiver, please let me know as well. I am using an HC1 Sony HD camcorder.

Thanks

Dave Blackhurst
August 7th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Hi David -
Look for a iFP-7XX or 8XX - those two series are able to take an external mic. The "XX" is just for whatever the model # is, which designates the amount of memory the particular model has... even the 128M units are probably usable for recording weddings...

The 7 series seem to command a big premium still, but the 8 series can be picked up reasonably cheap on Ebay...

And plan on a Giant Squid lapel mic - they do sound quite nice, and for the $, can't be beat. Got one used, and will be getting a couple more soon - plug right into the iRiv's, and make for a nice compact system

David Delaney
August 7th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Should I go for a 1Gig or just a 256meg iRiver?

Sean Johnson
August 7th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Should I go for a 1Gig or just a 256meg iRiver?

i just got a 256MB but i haven't used it yet. i also got one of the Giant Squib mics. hope it works out.

David Delaney
August 7th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I hear that they are on sale until August 12...
I am going for the iRiver tonight. If you don't mind me asking, what is a good Ebay price for them?

Do you get the Groom to put the iRiver in his pocket and just hook up the lapel that way? This isn't wireless, so I am assuming that is the process...

Also, why don't people just use a digital recorder instead of an iRiver for recording? Is there a reason? Is there better audio through iRiveR?

Adam Hoggatt
August 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Just a quick warning about the iRivers. I had a problem with losing an entire recording if the battery went dead (which happened a few times). Instead of saving the file up to that point, the entire thing was lost. Caused me a ton of problems. I eventually went with the M-Audio Microtrack 24/96. You can get them on ebay for around $250 (about what the iRiver cost me) and they are FAR better (they are made for professional recording applications after all).

I don't know if this is a typical problem with iRivers but you may check it out first.

Jeff Emery
August 7th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I don't know what the absolute best iRiver is but I use the the 890 and am pleased with its performance.

The 890 has a built-in preamp for external mics and 256Mb of memory. That gives me a little over 4 hours of record time. I use three iRiver 890's for weddings. One on the groom, one on the officiant, and one on the speaker's podium. I use lapel mics. I was thinking about getting a 4th for recording the choir/singer/soundboard.

iRiveramerica(dot)com has an oulet for refurbished units. All my units are refurbs. I haven't had any problems.

I always put a fresh, new battery in prior to recording. I also place tape over the battery cover just to be sure it doesn't accidently get popped off. Plus the tape gives me a place to "label" the unit so I know what's recorded on that unit.

The audio is quite acceptable IMO.

A warning regarding ebay units. Buying on ebay is like a box of chocolates. You never know for sure what you're really going to get. Sometimes you get one of those crappy ones you won't like.

I bought an 890 unit "used but in good condition" off ebay. Turned out to have issues with both the input and the headphone jacks. So that unit is worthless. That's why I decided to go with the iRiver outlet. $45 each but at least they had a 90 day warranty so I could be sure it all functioned properly.

Good Luck with whatever you go with.

Jeff

Paul Cascio
August 7th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Could you tell me what settings you use on the IRiver. I just bought one and also got an underwater cases and earphones. Great for doing laps in the pool!

Jeff Emery
August 7th, 2007, 09:12 PM
When recording with an exteranl mic I use Stereo, 44.1 KHz, 128kbps.

Jeff

Vito DeFilippo
August 7th, 2007, 11:08 PM
This is the page for you:

http://www.videouniversity.com/iriver.shtml

All the info you need on setup, mics to buy, etc.

I have the ifp-899, and the ifp-895, both from Ebay. I use the Giant Squid mics that Darren makes for irivers, that let you record in mono at 160kbps. Works great. For the 800 series, get the right angle plug if you go with Giant Squid. For the 700 series, get the straight plug.

Always use fresh batteries for your event, because it's true you will lose your recording if it dies.

Renton Maclachlan
August 8th, 2007, 04:51 AM
I got 4 off ebay - average of about $US11.

Steven Davis
August 8th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Also, why don't people just use a digital recorder instead of an iRiver for recording? Is there a reason? Is there better audio through iRiveR?

One of the reasons I use Iriver's instead of other recorders is the lockability of the unit. I'm not aware of another unit that can be locked.

Jonathan Jones
August 8th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Just a quick warning about the iRivers. I had a problem with losing an entire recording if the battery went dead (which happened a few times). Instead of saving the file up to that point, the entire thing was lost. Caused me a ton of problems. I eventually went with the M-Audio Microtrack 24/96. You can get them on ebay for around $250 (about what the iRiver cost me) and they are FAR better (they are made for professional recording applications after all).

I don't know if this is a typical problem with iRivers but you may check it out first.

Its true that it can corrupt your recording and you lose everything, as this happened to me once - but it was because I stopped recording, and then immediately shut it off before it had a chance to "get its thoughts together". Now I make sure that after I press 'stop' I give it a few seconds to save the file before shutting the unit off.

I have 4 iRiver units, and I think they are a life saver. The M-Audio unit really seem like a great device and an attractive option. It certainly is going to record higher quality audio, no doubt about that. But for a tight budget, you really can't beat the iRiver 7xx and 8xx series if bought from reputable sources - they can be had for a fraction of the price of the M-Audio device. My 4 units, plus Giant Squid mics, totals about half the price of 1 retail priced Microtrack.

I generally use the iRiver specifically as a backup device. The truth is that even at the highest recording settings, it still records to a highly compressed audio file, which is noticable when compared to higher quality recordings. But for spoken word capture, it really is a great recording solution, and if I fatten the sound up a little bit in post, it blends really well with audio I capture using pro gear.

I also find the iRiver a great option because of its size. It is significantly smaller than most other portable recording devices, including the M-Audio. (It is a little thicker than most because of the awkward '3-sided' form factor, but it still quite small and very light. I find that it very discreetly fits into clothing pockets, and have generally been told by clients that they forget that they are even wearing it.

I have Giant Squid mics for each of the iRivers, and they really are a great sounding mic. One of them is white, so I have been able to use it on a few grooms in white jackets or military dress whites without having the cord and mic being a distraction if seen around the jacket edge.

Because of their size, I have successfully used them in alot of places, including in the wireworks of flowered garden archways for outdoor garden weddings, attached to music stands to capture the audio of a string quartet or guitarist playing background music for outdoor weddings, in the pockets of special speaking guests or 'readers' at weddings where there isn't a podium and when I don't have enough wireless mics to go around, and even hidden in an eyeglass case planted on a podium when I wasn't given an option to plug my gear into house audio.

The iRivers are a great device to have as backup for a multitude of situations.

A search in these forums will generate alot of results pertaining to the iRiver. There are also a few posts that include optimal settings and procedures.

Hope this helps.

-Jon

David Delaney
August 8th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Ok, thanks for all the response. What is the best cable size 5 ft, 4ft etc (Giant Squid) that people are using?

Warren Kawamoto
August 8th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I've been using the iRiver T-30 with no problems. It has a built in microphone as well as a line-in input. It's smaller than a pack of chewing gum and uses 1 AAA battery. Recording time is 17 hours at the highest bitrate, capacity is 512mb.

For ceremonies I use it as a groom's backup mic in his pocket, for receptions I hook up one to the DJ via line input, and another I hide in front of the bride and groom's flowers to catch their laughter and comments during the reception. My main audio sources are 1 Lectrosonics wireless mic, and on-camera mic.

The T-30 sells new for about $30 new, and I've seen used ones on ebay for $1! Get a bunch...how can you go wrong? If you don't like em, send them to me!

The only problem I've encountered is that they're so small, I keep forgetting where I hide them!

David Delaney
August 8th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Sounds great, have others had problems/challenges with the iRiver T-30? I don't think I have seen it mentioned before...

Vito DeFilippo
August 8th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Sounds great, have others had problems/challenges with the iRiver T-30? I don't think I have seen it mentioned before...

Well, Warren must be using the sound he gets from the built in mic. As far as I know, the T30 will not accept a mic level input like the ifp 700 and 800 series. So you can't use (easily) an external mic with the T30.

Vito DeFilippo
August 8th, 2007, 11:00 PM
What is the best cable size 5 ft, 4ft etc (Giant Squid) that people are using?

I use the 5 foot. It's long when you are micing the groom, but you just stuff the extra in his pocket. When you want to mic the podium and route it here and there, it's nice to have the extra length.

Warren Kawamoto
August 10th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Well, Warren must be using the sound he gets from the built in mic. As far as I know, the T30 will not accept a mic level input like the ifp 700 and 800 series. So you can't use (easily) an external mic with the T30.

Yes, that's true. The T30 can't accept an external mic. However, it's small and covert enough to the point that you can gaff tape it to the underside of a gooseneck on the podium, and it's invisible.

The T30 also comes with a neck strap and you can wear it like a pendant. Go line in and plug into the DJ or house system. I found the unit very versatile and considering it costs only a dollar now, it's a huge bang for the buck.

David Delaney
August 10th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I was listening to the sound files on your page - and the ones that are recorded with the Omnidirectional Mono, sound fatter and less tinny than the ones for the Iriver? Is this my imagination? I want to get the best mic for the Iriver...so which would you recommend?

Vito DeFilippo
August 12th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I found the unit very versatile and considering it costs only a dollar now, it's a huge bang for the buck.

Can't argue with that...

Michelle Lewis
August 15th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Is there a Mac equivalent to the iriver?

Vito DeFilippo
August 15th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Is there a Mac equivalent to the iriver?

http://www.iriveramerica.com/support/ultra/iFP-manager-mac.aspx

Dana Salsbury
August 15th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Zoom H2 release next week. I've been waiting all summer for it.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1916

I'm glad to see more and more wedding videographers are going wired. Interference is just a pain.

Vito DeFilippo
August 15th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Zoom H2 release next week.

Looks like a great unit. Unfortunately, doesn't seem to have a hold/lock switch, which could be a problem if you want to put it in someone's pocket. We'll have to wait and see what the verdict is.

Really looks great, though. Very useful.

Ger Griffin
August 16th, 2007, 11:45 AM
dana i've been waiting all summer myself.
is it def coming next week?

Jason Robinson
August 16th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Oooo. I like the idea of hiding the mic on the head table to catch laughter and giggles...... now if I can just book another gig...

Warren Kawamoto
August 16th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Hey,
Here is another guy who used the T30 with a mic preamp and got good results:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=93725&highlight=t30

Alex Amira
August 17th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Yes, that's true. The T30 can't accept an external mic. However, it's small and covert enough to the point that you can gaff tape it to the underside of a gooseneck on the podium, and it's invisible.

The T30 also comes with a neck strap and you can wear it like a pendant. Go line in and plug into the DJ or house system. I found the unit very versatile and considering it costs only a dollar now, it's a huge bang for the buck.

The T30 sounds like a good addition to my 895.
Where did you get it for 1$?

Peter Chung
August 17th, 2007, 11:49 AM
The preamp costs about $37 on ebay. In addition, you will have to worry about another battery (besides the recorder itself) dying.

You could get an iFP-7xx or 8xx series iRiver, which has a built-in preamp, for the price of the T30+preamp combined.

I have 3 iRiver 795s and an 800 series that I use and haven't had a problem. Just make sure you don't turn off the power before recording has stopped. Also, make sure recording has stopped and not only paused.

The preamp, however, still would come in handy. These Mac Pros have everything except a Mic In port. The preamp would allow you to hook up a mic to the Mac Pro through the line-in port without having to use a mixer board or separate mic preamp. I like that these preamps are really small and battery powered :)

Bobbi Urban
August 19th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Can anyone tell me where to purchase the giant squid mic? Also, is there a particular "kind" to get for using with the iriver? I need it for wedding ceremonies. Thanks!

Denny Bryant
August 19th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I have 3 iRiver 795s and an 800 series that I use and haven't had a problem. Just make sure you don't turn off the power before recording has stopped. Also, make sure recording has stopped and not only paused.

I hate to sound ignorant on this, but how do you know when the recording has stopped & it is safe to turn it off? Thanks.

Denny Bryant
August 19th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Can anyone tell me where to purchase the giant squid mic? Also, is there a particular "kind" to get for using with the iriver? I need it for wedding ceremonies. Thanks!

http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-mono1.htm

Vito DeFilippo
August 20th, 2007, 06:21 AM
I hate to sound ignorant on this, but how do you know when the recording has stopped & it is safe to turn it off? Thanks.

You push the record button to start, and push it again when you want to stop. You'll see it indicate something like "scanning music file" (I forget exactly), then it's stopped.

Bobbi Urban
August 20th, 2007, 01:03 PM
With the iriver and using the mono sound giant squid mic, how does that work in post-production with mono sound? Do you need to somehow split it into 2 channels for stereo sound so it doesn't sound off compared to the rest of the footage? Audio stuff is a little beyond my knowledge at this point.

Peter Chung
August 20th, 2007, 03:51 PM

You push the record button to start, and push it again when you want to stop. You'll see it indicate something like "scanning music file" (I forget exactly), then it's stopped.

Basically, it won't say "Recording" anywhere on the screen and should look pretty much the same as when first turning the device on.

Peter Chung
August 20th, 2007, 03:57 PM
With the iriver and using the mono sound giant squid mic, how does that work in post-production with mono sound? Do you need to somehow split it into 2 channels for stereo sound so it doesn't sound off compared to the rest of the footage? Audio stuff is a little beyond my knowledge at this point.

When you use a mono audio source in FCP, it sends the audio to both channels so you don't have to duplicate the channel for left and right. Recording in mono allows you a much longer recording time and makes editing easier. If you were to record in stereo with the iRiver, one channel would have audio from the mic but the other channel will be silent.

However, if you plan on recording in mono, make sure to get the mono mic for iRivers from Giant Squid as the iRivers don't use the standard channel for recording mono (don't ask me why). If you use a standard mic in mono mode, you may pull all your hair out when you find out you recorded hours of silence(!)

Also, for easier editing in FCP, convert the mp3 file that you get from the iRiver into an aif file so that you don't waste time rendering the audio. This is easily done in Quicktime Pro or iTunes.

Hope that sheds some light on audio for you, Bobbi.

Dave Blackhurst
August 20th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Most times you can clone the audio, or if you're mixing 5.1, this track usually will go in the center speaker, and doesn't necessarily need to be "stereo" - center spkr is typically dialog. You'd only need to move the source around (either side to side for stereo, or within the soudspace for 5.1) if you needed it for some effect.

Mark A. Foley
August 26th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Looks like a great unit. Unfortunately, doesn't seem to have a hold/lock switch, which could be a problem if you want to put it in someone's pocket. We'll have to wait and see what the verdict is.

Really looks great, though. Very useful.

To lock the record button, you simply push the record button for a least 5 seconds. To stop the recording, reverse the process....

Steven Davis
August 26th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Zoom H2 release next week. I've been waiting all summer for it.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1916

I'm glad to see more and more wedding videographers are going wired. Interference is just a pain.

Did you buy it, review review review? :}

Sean Johnson
August 27th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I recently got a iRiver 890 series and finally used it this past saturday. I use a Mac to edit and I'm having trouble getting the audio onto my Mac. I got the iRiver refurbished and without accessaries. I do have the T10 with all its accessaries. I use that USB to hook up to my computer. Apparently the iRiver was made to use with a PC. I have a PC laptop but it wants me to install the software which is for the T10. I think there's a problem.

Does anyone know how I can get the audio from my iRiver and put it on my Mac?

Vito DeFilippo
August 27th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Sean, someone already asked that question in this thread. I posted this link:

I don't have a mac, so can't give you more hints, but check it out.

Sean Johnson
August 27th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Sean, someone already asked that question in this thread. I posted this link:

I don't have a mac, so can't give you more hints, but check it out.

thanks a lot, you guys are always on point!

Andrew Brown
August 28th, 2007, 09:13 AM
As far as I can work out all irivers are not Mac compatible.
Does anyone know of a Mac friendly alternative.

Chris Barcellos
August 28th, 2007, 10:45 AM
What about the two posts above yours ? Have you tried that with IRivers ?

Jonathan Jones
August 28th, 2007, 12:26 PM
What about the two posts above yours ? Have you tried that with IRivers ?

Yeah, Chris is right, as noted above in the thread, compatibility is practically a no-brainer. The application is called iRiver Music Manager, and it is available for both Mac OS9 and Mac OS X. Works like a charm.
-Jon

Denny Bryant
September 20th, 2007, 11:51 AM
I bought a couple of 899s a while back & have just started messing with them .. as it turns out they have the newer firmware loaded on them that won't allow any recording above 96kbps .. I can NOT for the life of me find the older revisions of firmware on Iriver's site. Can anyone point me in the right direction (maybe I'm overlooking something)? I have to get this squared away before Saturday!!

What versions do you guys run & is there anyway that you could copy the current firmware out of your 899 unit & send it to me?

Thanks in advance!

Vito DeFilippo
September 20th, 2007, 12:03 PM
What versions do you guys run & is there anyway that you could copy the current firmware out of your 899 unit & send it to me?
Thanks in advance!

Easy to find on the iriver site. Go to support/download. Fill in model, etc.

Here's the direct link to the latest firmware:

http://www.iriver.com/support/down_ok.asp?idx=4342

There's a different procedure which you must follow if you have the UMS firmware installed. Check here:

http://www.iriver.com/support/faq_view.asp?idx=47

Denny Bryant
September 20th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Easy to find on the iriver site. Go to support/download. Fill in model, etc.

Here's the direct link to the latest firmware:

http://www.iriver.com/support/down_ok.asp?idx=4342

There's a different procedure which you must follow if you have the UMS firmware installed. Check here:

http://www.iriver.com/support/faq_view.asp?idx=47

Thank you very much Vito .. I figured I was going to all the wrong places on their site!

Adam Hoggatt
September 20th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I just picked up 2 899s as well and you guys just saved me a big hassle. Thanks!