View Full Version : JVC Pro HD and Adobe Premiere Pro

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Brian Orser
April 1st, 2007, 04:35 PM
Hey guys, I'm trying to capture some 480/24p footage shot on the HD110U into Premiere 1.5. I've gotten it to work, I guess. But I think my pixel aspect ratio is off, or something else, because the footage looks weird, and some of it wont play back correctly in Premiere or VLC.

How does one correctly capture 24p DV footage into Premiere Pro 1.5? What are the appropriate project/capture settings?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eugen Oprina
April 1st, 2007, 04:59 PM
You have to install Aspect HD . This solved all my problems in premiere.
Good luck
Eugen

Brian Orser
April 1st, 2007, 05:36 PM
Thank you Eugen. However, I thought I should be able to do SD 24p without Aspect HD. Is that incorrect?

I'll be getting Aspect HD then. Thank you.

But, is it true that one can't properly capture DV 480/24p footage with Premiere Pro 1.5.1?

Brian Orser
April 1st, 2007, 10:05 PM
Update:

I realize I didn't describe the problem very well. The playback of the footage is juddering, and the aspect ratio is off. It looks squashed horizontally. I can conform it in Premiere back to 16:9, but when I try exporting it, it oges back to the weird squashed aspect.

Help?

Brian Orser
April 2nd, 2007, 11:25 PM
Sorry, but, *Bump*

No one has any ideas? Would it help if I posted footage?

John Hudson
April 3rd, 2007, 12:08 AM
Does Premere still not support Native 24 p ? Is this what I am getting ?

Get Vegas,

Brian Orser
April 3rd, 2007, 12:19 AM
I think that must be my problem. Thank you John.

Chris Barcellos
April 3rd, 2007, 12:21 AM
In my version of PPro 1.51, there is Panasonic 24p. Of course 1.51 is an old version, and 2.0 is the up to date Premiere. It has "DV-24P" project settings. I don't work with 24p, but I am sure it does 24 p these days.

This is not a place to bash a person's choice of editor. I have Vegas and Premiere, and each has its strong points...

Whats more, Brian should post something so we can see what issue is.

Brian Orser
April 3rd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Chris, thank you for your response. I would have posted something, but I'm getting Premiere 2 soon, so it shouldn't be a problem. But thank you.

Brian

Brian Orser
April 3rd, 2007, 12:57 PM
---Sorry. Accidental double post.---

Oscar Honorio Pantoja
April 3rd, 2007, 04:11 PM
---Sorry. Accidental double post.---
24p o 24p advance ????

Brian Orser
April 3rd, 2007, 11:36 PM
I believe it was 24p, not 24pA.

Jiri Fiala
April 16th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Hello, I probably messed up and filmed a gig with 720/24p. Now I have to export to DVD. I don't know what is the most likely format for watching of this job (CRT or progressive TVs and monitors).

Could anyone recommend a best way to export this 16:9 video to PAL DVD from Premiere Pro 2? Progressive or interlaced, upper or lower field when interlaced, apect ratio (from HD to SD DVD)... I tried several ways and none of them looks decent. Anyone with similar experience? Thanks in advance!

Marc Colemont
April 17th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Are you using PPro without AspectHD plug-in?
Otherwise I would recommend using the HDlink software included in the AspectHD package to convert the footage to SD.

Rana Sodhi
July 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Dear all

I’m new to the forum and need some help. Just bought the JVC- HD200, currently doNE 2 jobs on it. i recorded the shoots on 576/50i – SD mode as i had a jvc gy 500 beofre. I currently have ado premier 1.5 and matrox card. been very happy with the camera on the shoot but have the following questiosn

Question –

Will I be able to still edit on the current version

Do I need to upgrade to 2.0 version

Use Nero for burning and making menu etc……

CS3, is this the way forward……

As mentioned before I’m currently using SD MODE, but will next year go to HD mode…..will i have to upgrade again.....

Any help will be good…….

Also any tips on the camera as I shoot weddings,…..ie settings etc....

thanks

rana

Ted Ramasola
July 4th, 2007, 09:34 AM
rana,

you can still use 1.5, i have tried using it with cineform for hdv work.
I have, however, abandoned, it for edius. more stable and fast.

Ted

Rana Sodhi
July 4th, 2007, 09:38 AM
thanks ted,

i did look into edius ....but it would mean more money for the new suite...will have another think....thanks for your reply.

regards

rana

Marc Colemont
July 5th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Hi Rana,

I use Premiere Pro 2.0 /After Effects flawlessly with my HD100
I sold my Matrox RTX.100 Extreme card which only did SD, and bought the ProspectHD plug-in from Cineform instead.
All my projects I shoot and edit in 720P, even when I know the end-result will be in SD.
Firstly I find that the conversion to DVD looks much better and crisp because the MPEG2 has more info to convert.
Secondly I generated already after-sales for customers because they know I will be able to offer them HD version when finally the HD-DVD or Blue Ray DVD breaks through.
For now I deal with it by generating WMV-HD or HD Quicktime files which I burn on standard DVD's.

Rana Sodhi
July 6th, 2007, 04:22 AM
HI Marc

Thanks for the response. i think i will do the same - bin the matrox card.

One question - if i was to record in HD MODE.....but i wanted to give the end product in SD to my clients who will watc on normal dvd player what's the best way i should do it.

I believe to i would have to buy a new deck to play the HD Tapes as i don't wish to use the camera.

once again thanks

rana

Joseph A. Benoit
July 6th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Hello Rana
Why not just buy a DR HD100
no tape needed if you choose
When done shooting you just dump you clips down to your computer ready for edit.in either M2T format or QUICKTIME format
Just a thought

Joe

Martin Guitar
July 16th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I downloaded the trial and i can't get it to capture footage. There is also no presets for HDV 24p.

Does anybody use PP CS3 as their main editing software yet? I know it was released no too long ago.

thanks

mg

Steve Mullen
July 16th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I downloaded the trial and i can't get it to capture footage. There is also no presets for HDV 24p.

Does anybody use PP CS3 as their main editing software yet? I know it was released no too long ago.

thanks

mg

I think there is no HDV (MPEG-2) support in the Trial.

David Parks
July 16th, 2007, 06:50 PM
You probably can download a 15 day trial version of Cineform Aspect to edit HDV.

Julian Maytum
August 13th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Hi all!

Great board, great resource!

I am buying Sam Druckerman's HD100 from him and I am so looking forward to trying this camera out! Thanks Sam!

Anyway, I am used to editing in Premiere - It's what I learned on and while I have hated it over time, apparently CS3 is much improved and a really nice application to work with.

My question is, how well does it work with these JVC camera's? I am picking up the focus enhancements DR-HD100 to go with it and I see there are a lot of options/formats to choose from and I am just wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks for me within an Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 environment.

Thanks in advance!

David Parks
August 13th, 2007, 05:09 PM
www.cineform.com

You will most likely have to use Aspect v.5 for PPro to edit in HDV on anything but the fastest computer.

Cheers.

Julian Maytum
August 13th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I'm *hoping* to get this one job done for a client right away here that will let me build a 4 gig of ram quad core Intel monster that I hope will do well at editing HDV. Currently I am using an X2 3800+ with a gig of ram.. gonna throw another gig at it this weekend and I will have to check out aspect now as well.

I've been doing some work with a local producer here and he swears by Edius. He uses a realtime card at the moment (Canopus card I believe) and he wants to switch to HDV (another JVC fan who currently uses 5 DV500's). He was asking me about real time cards and HDV.. I don't know enough about it to comment really. Any suggestions or ideas in that regard?

Julian

David Parks
August 14th, 2007, 08:15 AM
The main thing about HDV is that on some systems you may need an intermediate codec to help with the long GOP splicing. In the case of Ppro it is Cineform. Edius has there own Canopus codec as well as Apple (Pro res) and Avid (DNxHD). Avid Liquid is the only true native MPEG 2 edit system that demuxes m2t onto m2v. Dual cores are cheap now and if you get a good graphics card with Open GL, a drive array on Raid 0, then you can edit in realtime. You mentioned Avid Liquid... that uses background rendering a lot. But on most systems it is the intermediate that is doing most of the work...

As for realtime cards like the Matrox RX2 and Axio, I think they help with output and downconversion of HDV timelines along with multiple streams of HD editing.

I edit on Avid Xpress Media Composer and Liquid. So my knowledge of other editing systems is what I've gleaned from these boards. You might spend some time on the editing forums to get a good view of everything.

Antony Michael Wilson
August 14th, 2007, 08:37 AM
FCP is perfectly capable of editing HDV natively. You can choose to use ProRes or uncompressed (or many other codecs) as the render codec in an open timeline but you can actually cut native if you wish and if the machine is fast enough. Edius captures mpeg but all renders are to the HQ codec. Liquid works well natively and with an uncompressed render codec. Avid Xpress Pro, MC and Symph only support HDV1 at 30fps and that support is very weak indeed with far less efficient use of processor power compared to a similar spec machine running Edius, Liquid or FCP. The same is true for Avid's HDV2 support on the traditional machines, so most user prefer to transcode to the appropriate DNx flavour for ease of use. Many Avid editors are quick to dismiss mpeg for native acquisition and editing because they haven't seen what the competition can do.

Tup Wright
August 14th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I use Premiere Pro CS2 and edit HDV natively. I have used cineform, which is good and I reccommend it, for it is a great codec with many uses even beyond premiere pro. I have used FCP, and Avid. I think premiere is better than them all. I love the ability of the production studio to move around photoshop, after effects, audition, etc, quickly and seamlessly and I hear it's even better in CS3.

I just finished a 20 minute piece for a large coffee company, and the only issue I had with HDV was that when the project would load it would take a long time, like 10 minutes to complete loading. After that it worked great. When I first edited HDV, with a friend's JVC I had sync issues, but I think that was a camera problem as he started getting issues in FCP with it. But after I bought my own HD100, I have been able to capture and edit with no issues.

Canopus and Matrox both make good systems, but I have found that with the effects I use, money is better spent on hardware--storage, ram, processor and video card.

Julian Maytum
August 15th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Boy, looking at the adobe user forums and other places, it looks like CS3 doesn't even support 24p out of the box. That is insane. So do I want to buy that (upgrade for me at least) and then cineform.. not at all. Makes no sense to me that it isn't supported.

Time to look at other options I think.

My goodness, what NLE's support JVC's 24p out of the box?

Julian

Antony Michael Wilson
August 15th, 2007, 02:29 AM
FCP definitely. I believe Liquid and Edius also now support it officially. Can anyone confirm?

David Parks
August 15th, 2007, 07:49 AM
FCP definitely. I believe Liquid and Edius also now support it officially. Can anyone confirm?

Yes Liquid and GV Edius have 720/24p presets.

Ted Ramasola
August 15th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Stopped using premier after more than 10 years. Using Edius on our facility's 5 edit suites. Editing is stable. Presets for 24P are available. I have HD100 and have edited a theatre projected material at 720P using WMV via procoder.

Tup Wright
August 15th, 2007, 09:42 AM
I shot and edited a music video in HDV24p native on premiere pro cs2. No problems. Download the presets:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3409

tup

Julian Maytum
August 15th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I shot and edited a music video in HDV24p native on premiere pro cs2. No problems. Download the presets:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3409

tup

Can you use these presets in CS3 I wonder?

I called Adobe today and what a nightmare that was. The guy told me that 24P is old and no longer supported. After I explained to him that he didn't know what he was talking about, he agreed it probably would be supported in an update "later on" but told me there was no-one there that I could talk to who would know anything about it. Mind boggling. I want to get into After Effects later on and thought it would be nice to stick with a product I already know (Premiere) but what's the point really?

A local producer I work with at times extols the virtues of Edius 4 and told me I should go with that. I think I am going to have to check it all out a bit more and maybe I will go that route.

Crazy isn't it?

Julian

Dennis Tzeng
August 15th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I also use Cineform with Premiere Pro. Had to upgrade my Cineform when I upgraded to CS3 as well. It makes editing of JVC HD 24P very smooth on a good system. I wish Adobe didn't drop the ball on this, but they did. Don't know how a company with that much money and solid products can do stuff like this. Premiere Pro has alot of potential but with stuff like this it makes it harder to recommend to other people.

BTW CS3 is barely an upgrade from CS2, it's not even worthy of a .5 upgrade

Julian Maytum
August 15th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I agree Dennis. From what I have read it seems they put all their efforts into bringing it to the Macintosh platform with this release. I just wish they wouldn't bugger things up that work from one revision to the next or at least acknowledge and fix it if they do.

I am going to have to have a hard look at Edius and other options.

Laszlo Horvath
August 15th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I am going to have to have a hard look at Edius and other options.

I changed from Premiere to Edius 3 two years ago. Now version 4.51 and I can't be happier.
Right now I editing 24p wedding, two camera shoot, big project. Work great. No sinc issues no problem at all, just smoooooth and stable. Everything realtime.
I know you will be happy. You can download the free 30 days trial version.

Laszlo

Oscar Honorio Pantoja
August 15th, 2007, 10:38 PM
cineform in to premiere is good for poor pcs.
a dualcore 2.13 with 2 g ram is very well to editing with premiere 2 hdv 24p native, Presets the adobe and jvc is very good.
Avi capturated whit a cineform, edit to a premiere, exported m2t for dvd = no good quality.
Is my opinion.
If yo computer is slow machine, cineform is excelent for edit hdv into premiere.

Dennis Tzeng
August 16th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Also with the JVC 110U I've gotten the monitoring aspect and recording to work for 24P HDV, however importing it into Premiere CS3, the video and audio are off sync.

Julian Maytum
September 5th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Hi all,

I went for broke and picked up a quad core system that unfortunately can only run Vista (slipstreaming XP didn't even work).

I can't afford Cineform at the moment and to be honest the computer edits HDV very nicely.

I'm trying to figure out the export options for CS3 though. I tried them all and none of them seem very spectacular. I want to keep the footage as good as possible (Shot in HD 30fps seeing as CS3 no longer supports 24fps with our camera for some strange reason). Exporting to mpeg2 seems to make the most sense as these are .m2t files in the first place but when I try it seems fairly crappy.

I tried asking on the Premiere forum but no luck getting a response.

Thanks in advance,

Julian

Tup Wright
September 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Try exporting to HuffYUV 2.1, (2.2 crashed windows explorer)

google it, and install it. Great, fast, lossless codec. Filesize will be fairly big. I edited a music video in 24p in cs2, is that right for cs3?

tup

Julian Maytum
September 6th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks I will give it a try! Much appreciated! I was just doing a test render in Vegas (which funnily enough seems to have some sort of cineform built in) but I didn't relish the thought of learning another editing application.

Julian

Julian Maytum
September 6th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Awesome! I just tried this and while the file sizes are huge.. the output is (obviously) as good as the original.. and it works on Vista! (Which I hate but can't build a slipstream XP install for this acer quad core machine but that's another story).

Most excellent thank you! I haven't used this stuff in years :P I'm going to have to re-learn some avisynth stuff in the future too I thin!

Julian

Julian Maytum
September 6th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I spoke too soon.. for some reason the footage is out of sync in Prem CS3. Plays fine everywhere else; open it up and drop it on the timeline in CS3 and it's out of sync.. driving me insane!

Julian Maytum
September 6th, 2007, 09:38 PM
It's "only" CS3 that creates audio sync issues.. I tried vegas as well as playing the file back in windows media player and nero showtime.

All I did was import the clip directly from my hard drive, no editing, just try to play it from the timeline and it is out of sync.

*Any* suggestions would be very welcome!

Julian

Tup Wright
September 6th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I've had sync issues with hdv, I think premeire hates mpeg audio. I usually separate the audio and video. Here's what the wiki says:

I've found several instances where Premiere did not favor my mpeg format and I got no sound though I thought it should be OK. I ended up running those files through MpegStreamclip (free download), outputing a ts file, renaming the file to .m2t, importing into Premiere, and everything worked fine. I've also found this great for fixing those little timecode problems that Premiere can't deal with.

I've used mpegstreamclip before too and it works well. You may also try deleting the conformed audio files. This sync issue is why people use cineform.

tup

Julian Maytum
September 6th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Very strange, I separated the audio and video and the audio is longer (in premiere only).. it has to be a premiere cs3 hating mpeg audio as you say. I think I am going to record in quicktime to the firestore and see if that solves the problem. Something to do tomorrow now :)

Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it!

Julian

Julian Maytum
September 10th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Well, I figured a quad core would make editing HDV a wonderful thing. Unfortunately I can't slipstream the Intel SATA drivers on an XP install CD for this machine so I am stuck with Vista (which imho is nowhere near ready for prime time for editing or a lot of other things for that matter).

Is there *anyone* on here who edits footage shot on the JVC (in HD) on a computer running Vista and Premiere CS3?

I have a few apps installed to try and *none* of the others have problems. Switch over to Premiere CS3 and the audio is *always* out of sync. It's beyond frustrating and unfortunately I am past the point of return for the computer as well.

Love to hear from anyone who has Premiere CS3 working with our cameras in Vista.

Julian

Julian Maytum
September 10th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Finally got it all sorted. I've given up on 24fps and gone to 30fps and Premiere works just fine with it. I can only *hope* that Adobe supports this at some point later on but in the meantime at least I can stop messing about with it all and get down to some editing finally.

I would go learn another application if I didn't have so much time and energy invested in Premiere but what can you do.

Sony Vegas looks *very* nice from what I have done with testing in the last couple of weeks and seems to have some sort of Cineform codec built right in!

Once I get a couple of these realtor videos out the door I can damage my credit card again and get Cineform for Premiere. Although, I have to say that Premiere handles HDV on a quad core with 3 gigs of ram no problem.. then again I suppose it should with that kind of hardware thrown at it :)

Thanks for letting me rant and rave over the last couple of weeks without commenting :P

Julian