View Full Version : GL2 Pixelization - Fix?

Travis Cossel
August 14th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I have a GL2 that started getting pixelization in the image after about a year of use. The pixelization is visible mostly in the darker areas of a shot, and is visible in the viewfinder and LCD (so it is not a tape or head issue).

Has anyone else experienced this issue or heard of anyone who has, and is there any solution aside from sending the camera to Canon?

Merlin Vandenbossche
August 15th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Is the pixelation visible on captured footage? Computer/TV monitor? It can be various issues I assume. There could be something wrong in the ccd-unit, the viewfinding,... Perhaps it's an easily fixable bug and someone can tell you what you can do; but right now it sounds to me that a trip to canon is the most probable since it is most likely damaged in the internal electronics. I've not heard of the problem so I could be wrong; but it seems serious enough to be a mayor issue.

Travis Cossel
August 15th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Well, that's the thing, the pixelization is visible in BOTH the viewfinder AND recorded footage. That's why I think it's an electronics issue. I just wasn't sure if there was anything I could try before sending it to Canon.

Randall Allen
August 15th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Travis:

Sounds like the gain is turned up. Are you using enough light? Try turning down the sharpness as suggested in the recent thread about adjusting gain.

Randy

Travis Cossel
August 15th, 2007, 01:19 PM
No, it's not gain or lack of light. I have 3 GL2's, and I use all 3 on every wedding shoot. This is the only camera that displays the pixelization problem. All of the settings are identical on each camera (yes, gain is set to zero).

Mike Donley
August 15th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Are you seeing pixels blinking in an out all over the place. That's what I normally think of when someone says pixelization is occurring. But then that is usually visable only during playback. It is not usually visable in the LCD during recording. However, if the pixelization is several stationary points relative to the screen or LCD, it may be what they call hot or dead pixels on the CCD. Sometimes they are visable on the LCD only if there are several dead pixels grouped together. But they really show up on a monitor when there is a black background like a tux on a groomsman. The first time I saw dead pixels, I kept thinking there was big spot of dust on my lens, or a pit/ding in the lens.

I've never had to had the CCD assembly replaced on my GL2. But I had several replaced on GL1's. It cost about $700 each time. I recommend that you have Canon do the work.

Travis Cossel
August 15th, 2007, 07:08 PM
The best way I can describe the pixelization I see is that it's like watching a video on YouTube or something. Instead of seeing a nice shadow on a wall, I see a dark area with pixels that are constantly shifting. It is not dead pixels, as the pixelization can occur anywhere in the viewfinder or LCD popout. I think it is something related to the CCD's and processing.

Thanks for giving me an idea what it cost to replace the CCD assembly in your GL1. I needed an idea of how much to save up before I send the camera out.

Don Palomaki
August 16th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Call Canon, ask if they have any idea about the issue. Its a free call.

Travis Cossel
August 16th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Call Canon, ask if they have any idea about the issue. Its a free call.

lol . . . I did call Canon before posting here, but I couldn't seem to get it through the lady's head that I'm using a VIDEOcamera. She kept suggesting I use a flash, and kept asking about pixelization in the "pictures". I finally got her somewhat on track and she started suggesting a head-cleaning tape, which I had already informed her I had used - not to mention I already explained that the pixelization is visible BEFORE recording, so it's not a head issue.

Maybe I'll call back and talk to someone else.