View Full Version : Sony Japan announces new PDW-F335

Ivan Snoeckx
August 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
Sony Japan has been announcing a new dual layer XDCAM HD camcorder: PDW-F335 (http://www.sony.jp/professional/News/info/pb20070822.html)

Can someone translate this?

Release date october 2007

Greg Boston
August 23rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Looks interesting. Obviously, it is the follow on to the F330 as the F355 is to the F350.

Of real interest is what's shown at the bottom. They're calling it continuous clip recording. Something that's been asked for. Basically, it allows you to pause and restart recording without generating a new file like in current versions.

-gb-

Ivan Snoeckx
August 23rd, 2007, 01:41 PM
It also looks like it is containing the 16:9 high-end 2" viewfinder instead of the crappy 1.5" on the F-330.

Greg Boston
August 23rd, 2007, 01:44 PM
I've emailed one of my contacts at Sony US. She is of Japanese origin and should be able to translate and/or elaborate.

-gb-

Robert Schemitsch
August 23rd, 2007, 01:47 PM
I read some specs some weeks ago... Most of the diverences are that the special effects from the 350 (over/undercranking,...) are also available in the SD-Modes, 50GB DL Disks are acepted and it offers a SD-SDI out...

Greeting,
Robert

Alister Chapman
August 23rd, 2007, 01:50 PM
You get the DXF20W viewfinder, continuous clip record which as Greg said combines multiple takes into a single file. There is also a new find mode that creates thumbnails for each take within a long file. Also a new low noise mode for shooting in low light and dual layer disks. Oh, it's black the same as the F350.

Nate Weaver
August 23rd, 2007, 02:02 PM
So um, I assume it doesn't have overcranking in HD mode though, right?

If it does, I'm trying to figure out how it deserves the lesser designation of 335.

Greg Boston
August 23rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
I read some specs some weeks ago... Most of the diverences are that the special effects from the 350 (over/undercranking,...) are also available in the SD-Modes, 50GB DL Disks are acepted and it offers a SD-SDI out...

Greeting,
Robert

That applies to the F355, the update to the F350.

This camera is the update to the F330, being dubbed F335. Still available body only, and with an autofocus lens, K and L packages.

As Ivan said, it now gets the same VF as the F350/F355, and offers a low noise mode for recording in lower light levels. Of course it sports the dual-layer disc that's coming in the other new cameras/decks/drive announced at NAB.

BTW, some enhanced functionality is also planned for the existing cameras via firmware upgrades.

-gb-

Nate Weaver
August 23rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
BTW, some enhanced functionality is also planned for the existing cameras via firmware upgrades.

I would pay, good, big money for a bitrate bump. This is surely doable in software, assuming the processors have the horsepower overhead available.

I hate to say this, but I bet some of the kids reverse-engineering iPhone firmware could get pretty far on this, assuming the MPEG encoding isn't burned in.

Matthew Pugerude
August 23rd, 2007, 05:24 PM
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sony.jp%2Fprofessional%2FNews%2Finfo%2Fpb20070822.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Well it looks like the 335 will not have the Cinealta label on it. so no 24p either which is fine if all you do is 1080i work. If it has Cache recording that would be great for the outdoor people like me who generally do not use all the functions of the 350 but like to have the options if we want them. one of my biggest complains about the 330 was the viewfinder any way.

Uli Mors
August 24th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Hi folks,

I´ll be on the IBC in two weeks (Amsterdam, Europes biggest Broadcast exhibition) and have a look on it (I GUESS they show it)

ULI

Robert Schemitsch
August 24th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Oh, sorry, i've read to quickly and overread the 335... my brain tought me 355...

@ Uli: I wish you lots of fun at the IBC, I have no time :'(... Tell us, what you see! ;)

Uli Mors
August 24th, 2007, 03:05 AM
I will!

;-)

ULI

Greg Boston
August 24th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I would pay, good, big money for a bitrate bump.

Well then, have I got a camera for you! Unfortunately, it's not the one you currently own.

I don't see a speed bump coming. I believe the limitation is the hardware encoding chips and the overall speed of the computer. That's the nature of semiconductors. We keep finding ways to make them process more bits within a given slice of time. It's conceivable that the F355 might be able to get a bump, but Sony also has to protect sales of the forthcoming 2/3 camera.

Sony has also told me that there's no way to swap out the disc unit for a dual layer drive. That seems unusual since DVD drives in computers can be swapped for a new dual-layer burner. I've already done that with my iMac.

-gb-

Sean Smith MD
August 24th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Any idea what the 335 will cost?

Andy Mees
August 25th, 2007, 07:59 PM
i reckon a lot of folks would be only too happy to pay a reasonable fee for a firmware upgrade that offered better low light recording and a continuous recording mode (holy crap, that would make me happy)

Thierry Humeau
August 26th, 2007, 07:04 AM
i reckon a lot of folks would be only too happy to pay a reasonable fee for a firmware upgrade that offered better low light recording and a continuous recording mode (holy crap, that would make me happy)

I am not too sure about "continuous recording" but I'd love to see an option to break clips while recording. For example, when shooting a long interview, this would be convenient to use at each of the interviewer question so instead of ending up with one long clip, the recording would get broken down by Q&As. I found a workaround to do it by turning picture cache recording on. Then, if you quickly press Rec/Stop, it will break the clip without interruption in the recording.

Thierry.

Brian Standing
September 19th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Here's the announcement in English.

http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/ShowProduct.action?product=PDW-F335K%2F2&site=biz_en_CH&pageType=Benefits&imageType=Main&category=XDCAMCamcorders

I didn't see a price.

Ivan Snoeckx
September 19th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Here's the announcement in English.

http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/ShowProduct.action?product=PDW-F335K%2F2&site=biz_en_CH&pageType=Benefits&imageType=Main&category=XDCAMCamcorders

I didn't see a price.

Looks like the PDW-F350 and F330 are already discontinued by Sony. You can not find them anymore on the Sony site.
There's also a fault on the that page of the F335. The technical specifications say there is a 1.5" EVF included. Lucky it will be a 2"!

Uli Mors
January 2nd, 2008, 08:24 AM
@greg boston

Hi,

I am still wondering if some firmware features (like the 2 denoise algorithms) of the f335 / f335 will be available for existing XDCAM HD camcorders...

In the past there were several sources stating that this would happen, but I´ve never found further details on that.

Have you more infos or is it possible for you to request it?

Thanks

ULI

Peter Newsom
January 2nd, 2008, 08:32 AM
The Sony rep at a seminar I recently attended in Ottawa said that the F350 would be getting a firmware update that would improve noise characteristics as well as adding an option for 45 or 90 degree shutter. He mentioned some time in January for the release.

Peter

Uli Mors
January 2nd, 2008, 09:20 AM
That would be great news.

The last time I spoke to SONY people was IBC2007. They did mention updates, too. But I had the impression, the updates mean the "updated f335 /355"...

So lets stay tuned for the next updates.

ULI

Paul Gale
January 3rd, 2008, 02:24 AM
Yes - that would be great - I was starting to regret buying the F350 over the F355 due to the noise I've been seeing in my footage so far (mind you, I did pay around £4K less for the F350 on offer!). A firmware update to help with this would be very welcome.

Anyone know more details of the low noise update? Is it something you select (with a trade-off elsewhere) or does it just work?

Greg Boston
January 3rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
I had the impression, the updates mean the "updated f335 /355"...

No Uli, there are planned firmware updates for the F350 to include the low light noise processing found on the new F355 series. I have been amazed and very thankful at how skillfully Sony has managed the firmware upgrades over the last year or so.

Unfortunately, we won't be able to upgrade the F350 to use the new dual layer drives found in the forthcoming disc based products... cameras, deck, drive.

-gb-

Peter Newsom
January 3rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
I'd just like to second Greg's comments on Sony's firmware uprades. My camera started off good and become even better thanks to the updates. The noise reduction will be nice, though for the most part it has not been an issue for my work, sports news coverage. I don't suppose that the ability to grade clips will be included, will it?

If I had a wish, it would be for a remote device for sub-clip editing. Every reporter that I work with loves the ability to trim and organize the clips in camera before feeding. In fact, it is so quick and effective that they don't even want to use my lap-top. A little key pad with the necessary controls that could be plugged into the remote connector at the back of the camera would improve the ergonomics, and make this great feature even better!

Please pass on my thanks and suggestion to Sony if you get the chance.

Alister Chapman
January 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
See
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=802068&posted=1#post802068

for more on the low noise mode

Uli Mors
January 4th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Great news!

Thanks for the detailed infos!

ULi