View Full Version : xh a1 setup pictures

Pages : [1] 2

Trent Humphrey
September 5th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I thought I would start a thread....I looked for previous threads but didnt see any. Anyway I am a new user to the xh a1 as many of us here are so post your xh a1 and show your setup. Ill start it. Thanks to everyone who supports this part of the forum.

Trent

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1268/1332833489_ae2705ce28_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com)

mind my ignorance on how to attach pictures. :)

Chris Hurd
September 5th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I attached it for you Trent,

Sean Paterson
September 6th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Good Idea Trent, heres mine...

Jack Walker
September 6th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1268/1332833489_ae2705ce28_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com)
What is the lens shade you have? I haven't seen that before as far I know. Thanks!

Trent Humphrey
September 6th, 2007, 12:35 PM
What is the lens shade you have? I haven't seen that before as far I know. Thanks!

that is from www.cinetactics.com , go there and look at the dv mattlebox. It is made for dv cameras but is suggested for the xha1 over their hd mattlebox. Plus the hd is larger and more expensive. It only barely vignettes at full wide, like a wide angle lens ....but you barely have to zoom in a little to get rid of it, not a problem at all...works great. Plus it might be the fact that I have a UV filter on for protection then the extension ring from cinetactics to mount the soft matte box to. Its a really nice product and great because its soft and easy to transport and setup quickly. I have had it on since I got it unless I need a ton of light.

Doug Davis
September 6th, 2007, 01:43 PM
What shotgun mics are you guys using?

Trent Humphrey
September 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM
audio technica 897 or more refered to as at897. I use it with the lightwave mini mount that connects to my hotshoe. The mount on the xh a1 gives noise when you zoom so I dont like it much. Most likely will remove it before I break it on accident. The shotgun is a very good mic for the price. I would highly recomend it.

Stephen Sobel
September 6th, 2007, 06:12 PM
audio technica 897 or more refered to as at897. I use it with the lightwave mini mount that connects to my hotshoe. The mount on the xh a1 gives noise when you zoom so I dont like it much. Most likely will remove it before I break it on accident. The shotgun is a very good mic for the price. I would highly recomend it.

If I used a Rode SM-5 shockmount to attach a shotgun to the mic mount, do you think the mic would pick up noise when zooming?

Trent Humphrey
September 6th, 2007, 08:48 PM
hmm im not sure...it should get rid of it. I think you would be fine. Test it and let us know. Also post your setups people!!!

Sean Paterson
September 7th, 2007, 04:13 AM
What shotgun mics are you guys using?

I use Rode VideoMic, detached the rode hotshoe setup and clamped straight onto the XHA1.
Not worried about zoom motor noise, I dont zoom in and out or mess about with the camera setup while filming static shots or interviews etc.

Winfried Dobbe
September 7th, 2007, 06:07 AM
I use the Rode SM-5 shock mount, it removed any zoom noise and more important, sounds of my hand touching the camera. That's with the Rode NTG-2.

Josh Chesarek
September 7th, 2007, 06:28 AM
One of my setups when I was going out to film later at night. Ill have to post one from tonight of when I am streaming a soccer game which is pretty fun.

Shiv Kumar
September 8th, 2007, 01:44 AM
It would be nice if you guys mentioned at the other gizmos visible in your photos and whys, so us newbees can understand.

I for one use just the camera, along with an Audio-Technica AT831B Lavaliere Condenser Microphone when I need audio.

Glen Johnstone
September 13th, 2007, 06:09 AM
I soldered up this right angle-right angle cable to make my life easier. I no longer need to disconnect the shotgun mic (ME66/Windcutter) to put the cam in the bag. It saves wear and tear on the CH-1 XLR connector as well.

Phil Anderson
September 17th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Does the Cinetactics Matteblox block out the auto focus assist sensor on the A1? Looks like it would.

Giuseppe Palumbo
September 17th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Here are pictures of my new Canon Xh-A1, articulated arm, and spiderbrace. I also have a mattebox in the mail :) Def a step up from the XL2.

, and no im not going to be using that monitor. Im looking into getting a better one

http://www.nbfilms.us/Pictures/xha1.jpg

http://www.nbfilms.us/Pictures/xha12.jpg

Steven Dempsey
September 18th, 2007, 12:17 AM
This is me with an early prototype of the XHA1. I had to dress up like Santa as part of the deal. I'll explain later.

Rolf Seitz
September 18th, 2007, 02:36 AM
This is me with an early prototype of the XHA1. I had to dress up like Santa as part of the deal. I'll explain later.

early prototype....indeed! How many fps could it record? ;)

Steven Dempsey
September 18th, 2007, 07:30 AM
early prototype....indeed! How many fps could it record? ;)

175fps but the rubber band snapped...hence the completely different design of the finished product :)

Marcus Schuler
September 20th, 2007, 03:28 PM
This is my A1 with my brand new head and tripod system from Panther Broadcast in Munich.

The head is a T6 fluid head with two steps. Great and solid product. Everything was made in Germany.

Bill Pryor
September 20th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Hey, Steven, where'd you get that shot of me and my Linhoff?

Chris Hurd
September 20th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I thought there was a resemblance Bill.

Bill Pryor
September 20th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Well, it's close, but my view camera is a Calumet with Schneider lenses, and the "snapshot" 4X5 isn't a Linhoff--it's an ancient Crown Graphic, and no I didn't buy it new--I'm not THAT old. I did buy the Calumet and lenses new, however.

Greg Rothschild
October 16th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Marcus-
Can you please comment on the quality of the Panther head? I'm looking for a fluid head right now and just came across this new product line. I'd be grateful for any feedback you can provide.
Greg

Paul Podraza
May 3rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
Resurrecting the thread...

I was looking for pics of setups, it's interesting to see the mods to the cam.

I just received my XH-A1 and was looking for more "inspiration" for a great setup!

I saw this pic for modding the headphone jack...
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?p=639784&postcount=14

Jeff Mayne
May 3rd, 2008, 10:03 AM
Here are some shots of mine utilizing the J-Rod,

Hubert Duijzer
May 3rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
Here's mine:
XH-A1 with Rode NTG-2/Rode SM-5 shockmount(removed 'thin end')/custom made XLR cable with 2 right angled plugs/'windcutter' fur over internal mic/Sony eyecup/WD-H72 wide angle lens/10 mm drilled hole for headphone/Manfrotto 351MVB/503 tripod and Porta Brace raincover.
Sorry for crappy cellphone pictures.

Jeff Mayne
May 3rd, 2008, 05:42 PM
Hubert, you are the answer to my prayers. I have been looking for a rain cover that would fit with my Rhode Shock Mount setup just like yours. I am assuming that the Porta Brace rain slicker fits with the shock mount still attached? Thanks a bunch,
Jeff

Josh Chesarek
May 3rd, 2008, 06:10 PM
It doesn't look like at least the mic is loaded up for the rain cover shot.

Steve Lewis
May 4th, 2008, 01:32 AM
What tripod model is that?

Josh Chesarek
May 4th, 2008, 05:27 AM

If you are refering to Huberts tripod, "Manfrotto 351MVB/503 tripod"

Jeff Mayne
May 4th, 2008, 06:38 AM

Manfrotto 351MVB/503 tripod

Rene Roslev
May 4th, 2008, 09:11 AM
XH-A1, SGpro.R3, Contax/Yashica Zeiss lenses, Cavision grips

Henrik Reach
May 4th, 2008, 10:58 AM
If I used a Rode SM-5 shockmount to attach a shotgun to the mic mount, do you think the mic would pick up noise when zooming?

I use the SM-3 and a NTG-2, and it does in fact pick up a little zoom-noise, but only when I zoom at high speeds.

Hubert Duijzer
May 4th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I have been looking for a rain cover that would fit with my Rhode Shock Mount setup just like yours. I am assuming that the Porta Brace rain slicker fits with the shock mount still attached?
No, i haven't test it yet, but i don't believe both the shockmount and the mic will fit in the rainslicker. The shotgun itself will fit, but even that isn't easy. The Porta rainslicker is a really thight fit in places, wich is good for keeping the rain out, but sometimes a pain to get it around the camera.

Bo Sundvall
May 5th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Hi

Hubert, is it a 351MVB or 351MVB2 tripod? Do you find it stabil enough?

Regards,

/Bo

Hubert Duijzer
May 5th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Bo, it's the MVB2. It's heavy and stable. The head is another thing, not bad, but i expected it to be better.
Next time i have to double the budget for a Vinten Vision 3 or something like that.

Jonathan Shaw
May 5th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Just to add a little diversity... here's my A1 in Gates housing

Giovanni Speranza
May 5th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Very cool the Gates Housing!

Here is mine (with Letus Extreme, IndiSlider, IndiFocus)

Michael Wisniewski
May 6th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Just to add a little diversity... here's my A1 in Gates housingThat's awesome, looks like a crazy sea critter. Or some weird camcorder hermit crab.

Matt OBrien
May 7th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Nothing radical here, I'm in love with the blue star eye cup though. One of the best $8 I've ever spent, and on a superficial level, it perfectly accents the red ring on the lens. The headphone hole is something to think about, I can't stand the rubber flap. I'm also quite envious of the right angle XLR cables... although for now I just pull off the Rode windscreen and put the XLR cable inside it when it's in my case.

I do get a good amount of tape drive and zoom noise with the NTG-2. I would love to find another mounting solution that doesn't involve a hotshoe mount, maybe there's a J-Rod in my future.

Great Thread!

Matt OBrien
May 7th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Glen, how long is your XLR cable? That looks to be the exact length I'm after.

Thanks!

Jonathan Bufkin
May 8th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Speaking of right angle XLR's I've been using Redco custom cables to get exactly what I want. http://www.redco.com

Matt Bishop
May 8th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Here is my new setup. I have two identical setups like this one and am also using an hv20

Canon Xh-a1
Hoodman h300 lcd hood with magnifier
audio technica shotgun mic
right angle coiled XLR
sony large eye cup
glidecam 2000 ( it's heavier but is balanced perfectly and works great!)

Josh Chesarek
May 8th, 2008, 11:42 AM
So you are using the GC2000, with a quick release? I assume its working well for you? I might want to do that as I have to rebalance each time but I have gotten pretty good at it.

Here is my new setup. I have two identical setups like this one and am also using an hv20

Canon Xh-a1
right angle coiled XLR
sony large eye cup

Matt Bishop
May 8th, 2008, 11:51 AM
So you are using the GC2000, with a quick release? I assume its working well for you? I might want to do that as I have to rebalance each time but I have gotten pretty good at it.

Yes, I only used it once on and off before I decided that i needed the quick release. Its sooo much faster and only takes a second to balance it once you have to put it back on. Definitely worth it!!

David Del Real
May 8th, 2008, 12:42 PM

Canon Xh-a1
right angle coiled XLR
sony large eye cup

What model # is your mic?

Paul Podraza
May 8th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Nothing radical here, I'm in love with the blue star eye cup though. One of the best $8 I've ever spent, and on a superficial level, it perfectly accents the red ring on the lens.

Hey Matt, do you remember what size that eye cup is?
Is it the "Oval Long" - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/444687-REG/Blue_Star_90124_90124_Natural_Colored_Microfiber.html
Or the "oval large"
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/444699-REG/Blue_Star_90138_90138_Red_Fleece_Oval.html

Very good thread, all the pictures are very helpful!

Marcel D. Van Someren
May 8th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Here's my A1's typical set up:

IndieSnap Mattebox
IndiFocus Follow Focus and Rails
old Bogen 3068 Tripod

Jack Walker
May 8th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Here's my A1's typical set up:

IndieSnap Mattebox
IndiFocus Follow Focus and Rails
old Bogen 3068 Tripod

How do you like the IndiFocus? How well does it work? Are there any problems? Do you have the old or the new gear box? Thanks!