View Full Version : Columbus, Ohio

Pages : [1] 2

John Massie
May 31st, 2003, 09:54 PM
Hey All,
I've already posted once, but I thought I would say Hi, and to see if there are any other users in Columbus, Ohio...

I just got my foot into the door of the DV world, this year, when I began working for a church. I am not really up to the "DV" world yet, I am still in the Digital8 world. I am trying to get my budget expanded so I can buy a DV cam... Time will tell...

These fourms have been very helpful so far!

Looking forward to talking to you all!

John

Rob Lohman
June 2nd, 2003, 11:23 AM
Welcome aboard John!

David Stoneburner
July 8th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Hi from Dayton, OH. Just got registered. I am the video production manager at Wright State University. I also do freelance work on the side shooting with a GL-1 and editing with a DV500 and Premiere.

Alex Knappenberger
July 8th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Wow, some fellow Ohio-ians, finally. :D I'm from Canton... =/

William Brunk
July 11th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Add me to the Columbus, OH list.

Jeff Jordan
July 27th, 2003, 04:46 PM
same here. just got my GL2 last Wednesday and I also live in Columbus. No buckeye fan though. Pure orange Volunteer, class of '84!

I don't work in any area of video. 35mm still shooting has always been my passion(been a Canon shooter for about 20 years, using a 1D currently), and now I want to play around in the video area. The $250 rebate finally pushed me over the edge........

Spencer Houck
August 8th, 2003, 12:08 PM
I'm representin' Cuyahoga Falls...a.k.a. the Akron area. But i go to Ohio University for video production, so I spend most of my time in lovely Athens, Ohio.

Spence

Kevin Maistros
September 19th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Cleveland here.

Ozzie Leon
September 26th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Good to see columbus ohio representing. Panasonic ag-dvx100 all the way. I've been editing for 5 yrs using XL1 to the panasonic now. Adobe premiere is currently the choice for me but I am looking to switch to avid or final cut pro thanks to pinnacle, no fault of adobe.

Jacob Ehrichs
April 3rd, 2004, 09:51 PM
Dayton Oh here! Do video for my church and looking at doing a few small independant short movies. Shooting with an XL1 and a buddy has the XL1s.

Linda Schodowsky
April 5th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Berea here... southwest suburb of Cleveland. Berea is home of the Cleveland Browns training camp (as if that is something to brag about).

Scott Spears
May 2nd, 2004, 09:04 AM
A good networking website for Ohio filmmakers can be found at www.ohiofilmvideo.com.

Scott

Christopher Lefchik
May 3rd, 2004, 09:34 PM
Another Columbus resident here. I started becoming interested in video about 6-7 years ago. In 2001 I got my first computer and video card/software for editing. I've done some volunteer video work for a local non-profit organization, plus my own projects. I'm currently using a Sony VX2000 and a Matrox RT.X100. It sure is a great time to be into video production.

Cory Bantilan
May 5th, 2004, 03:50 AM
California native and 4th year student at OSU here. Just recently bought a PD-DV953.

Steve McDonald
May 15th, 2004, 06:34 PM
John, from what an old friend from high school who lives in Columbus tells me, it's the bright spot in that part of the country.

I recently made the shift from primarily using MegaPixel Digital8 camcorders and VCRs, to DV. If you get into DV equipment, try to keep your Digital8 gear as well, as it makes a good format to alternately re-record the DV FireWire signal. I use all my units from both formats and hope I don't get stuck at some point with important recordings only on Digital8 tape and no working equipment to play them back.

You're welcome here and you'll find that there's no barrier between those who use different levels of equipment. We recognize that despite great differences in cost and performance of our gear, that we all have much more in common than there is to separate us.

Steve McDonald

Jeff Donald
May 15th, 2004, 07:03 PM
I missed this thread for all the Buckeyes. It's good to see you all here and posting and welcome to DV Info. I'm originally from the Cleveland area (born and raised in Berea, Hi Linda) and graduated from Berea High School.

Thanks for the kind words about DV Info, Steve.

Kevin Sizemore
October 22nd, 2004, 12:31 PM
I'm making music videos and video light shows using a GL2 and some Panasonic with After Effects, Motion, Final Cut Pro.

Scott Ellifritt
October 31st, 2004, 11:09 PM
I grew up in Chillicothe, Ohio but got out of there fast!

Anson Clement
December 2nd, 2004, 07:07 PM
Another Columbus native here.

I'm shooting with a borrowed digi8 and editing in Premiere 6.5

If anyone is looking for an excuse to excercise their higher end dv cams I'm always available to provide some automotive action.

Having other more experienced people around to bounce ideas off of would be sweet.

John DeLuca
December 6th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Akron area........ Using three PD-170's, adobe video collection professional, two sennheiser ew 500 evolution wireless kits, beachtek svu 2 meter, three bogen 503 heads, 522 remote pan handles, ME66 shotgun, Glidecam 4000 pro with forearm brace, three 35watt dimable frezzi micro fills, ext, ext.

Tony Hall
December 7th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Springfield, OH... about 25 minutes from Columbus. Just bought a couple GL2's from the guy who posted right above :)

Hey John, I was wondering what you upgraded too, but I forgot to ask. I've been playing with the GL2's since I brought them home.

David Stoneburner
December 7th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Hey Tony,
Dayton here. I've got a GL-1, TRV900 and DVC80. Playing the field with all three brands.

Tony Hall
December 7th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Cool, I jump from brand to brand too, but I prefer Canon. It's awesome that there's so many locals on the board here. I'm working on a script that I want to shoot sometime next year. If anyone wants to drive to Springfield to help out they'll be welcome to.

Anson Clement
December 7th, 2004, 11:45 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Tony Hall : I'm working on a script that I want to shoot sometime next year. If anyone wants to drive to Springfield to help out they'll be welcome to. -->>>

Hey guy, I'm always looking for opportunity's to learn new tricks, if you ever need a hand on a shoot deffinately give me a shout.

ansonivan at yahoo.com

Tony Hall
December 7th, 2004, 07:12 PM
I will for sure...

Jacob Ehrichs
December 7th, 2004, 10:33 PM
I'm available too and always willing to learn. Got a decent setup here in Dayton.

Sean McHenry
December 16th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Hello John,
Sean McHenry also from Columbus here (actually, Hilliard). Been in broadcasting for over 16 years, Engineer for a post house for 3 more and now in broadcast sales - yep, I get my gear at cost!

if you need anything, the folks on the various forums represent about 1000 years of knowledge. Take it all with a grain of salt as I know I have been wrong on issues before but there are some great debates going on all the time here. I have been taught a few new things in the short time I have been here and corrected some bad habits too.

We just had a doosey on setup levels. Should you camera be set at 0 IRE or 7.5 IRE...? You can follow the debate in another forum. What are the best shotgun mics for outdoor use...? It's inh the forums. What's the best tape type for an AG-DVX100a...? It's in the forums. It's all here someplace.

Be sure you also visit http://www.weeklydv.com

Make sure you do a search on any topics before you post and you will be a welcome addition to the group.

You can find my website in the footer and don't be shy. I haunt the PDX10 forum.

Sean

Martin Archer-Shee
December 16th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Hi

I used to work for Industrial Nucleonics in Colombus (30 years ago... I assume it still exists) . Visited there a numbrer of times on business. Nice place and I am sure lots of oportunities exist.
Martin

Mike Lott Jr
February 9th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Hi everyone!

My business partner and I just recieved our XL2 last week. We have been doing video and sound production for our church for about 10 years now. We are in the process of landing 2 gigs that will take us about 7 weeks to film. After that, we will be starting a feautre film in March. If anyone would like to be involved with crew, (free obviously) let me know!

Mike,
MJdoubleD Entertainment
Director of Photography

Tim Clark
February 24th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Now, I'm here in sunny California.

I work for MICRODOLLY HOLLYWOOD and I also shoot shorts with the SoCal Film Group -- we've made 30 shorts since '02 -- and we use the Panasonic DVX100 (2 of them, actually!)

I had to shovel some serious snow in Columbus this past Christmas... now I know why my rent is so high here in LA.

Sean McHenry
February 24th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Tim,
What did you do here? I went to West High, was SR. Class Pres at Fort Hayes (Radio and Television Production) put in some time at DeVry, Ohio State (Photography) and even Columbus State.

Worked for WCMH (NBC OnO) for 16 years, Engineer at SOS Productions for 3 years, now selling broadcast gear, Avid, etc at a local place and have my own post work.

Sean

Tim Clark
February 24th, 2005, 02:29 PM
I went to Northland High, then graduated from Otterbein College up in Westerville. Didn't do any industry stuff until I moved out here in '95.

I've been learning on-the-fly ever since. There isn't a job on a set that I haven't done at this point, from writing, directing, to editing (strongly recommend FCP4) and even craft services :)

I came to work at MICRODOLLY after being an owner of the equipment (when I found out they were hiring, I jumped at the chance.)

Chris Hurd
February 26th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Hi Tim,

Please say hi to Jerry for me. I see him all the time at the major industry trade shows. Thanks for joining us,

Kevin Kimmell
March 3rd, 2005, 02:26 PM
Kevin Kimmell here.

I live in Akron, Ohio but bounce all over the state to film bands. Columbus and Cleveland are my most frequent stops but when the festivals start, I am all over the heartland.

I shoot with a GL2 and my partner (another Ohioan down near Zanesville) shoots with a GL1. We edit in Vegas, Premiere, and Final Cut. I also recently picked up a Pano PV-GS15 as a third camera for our shoots.

If any of you Ohio people want to get involved with shooting live music, we are always looking for another camera angle. We still haven't started making money but every shoot we learn something new.

-Kevin

David Stoneburner
March 3rd, 2005, 02:47 PM
Well,
if you're down here in Dayton send me a message. If I'm available, I'll help out. I have a Panasonic DVC-80 and a GL-1.

David

Kevin Randolph
November 5th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Hello all,
I'm fairly new to both the board and the Columbus, Oh video scene. I also see that this thread has been dormant for over a year, so I hope that some of the posters are still on the board.

I'm in the process trying to turn this into a job as well as a hobby. My goal is to shoot documentary style fundraising videos for non-profits as well as any other work that I feel I can accomplish. I'm shooting with a Canon Xl2 (Recently purchased and still learning the intricacies) and a couple of older Sony cams (DCR-TRV11). I also have a wireless lav and a small light setup (for interviews).

I often wonder if there are any other folks out there to toss around ideas with and perhaps get together and shoot. I hope I get a couple of replies...

Thanks,
Kevin

David Stoneburner
November 6th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Hey Kevin,
Welcome to the boards. I try to check the boards at least 4 times a week. I'm always up to working on interesting projects if I'm a available. With my full-time job, 1 teenager, 1 pre-teen and a dog, I don't get a lot of extra time.

Kevin Randolph
November 6th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I'll keep that in mind. Sounds like you've got your hands full, but schedules and things sometimes line up on there own...

Also, please keep me in mind if your doing anything that I could help out with. As we all do, I often wear many hats - Camera Operator, Light Rigger, Step-and-Fetch-It, Lifter of Heavy Objects, etc...

Kevin

David Stoneburner
November 6th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Ok will do.

Kevin Randolph
November 14th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Just thought I'd bump this thread and see if there were any other people that were still active on the board from Ohio.

Thanks,
Kevin

Jacob Ehrichs
November 14th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I'm still here. Not much new on my end, still looking out for fun ideas to put to tape. Just shot a quick project for some friends. 2 lectures, back to back, 30 minutes each. Dumping straight to DVD as it's for coursework and no editing allowed. :)

Sean McHenry
November 15th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Still here...been here a long long time. In Columbus that is. Check my profile for details. I will say I have moved on a bit from DV to Super 8 film and am now spending quite a bit of time on cinematography.com in the Super 8 section of their forums.

You can catch some of the local shorts I have done on my web page.

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com

Spent 16+ years at CH 4 (WCMH), 3 as the Engineer for SOS Productions, 3 years in broadcast equipment sales with Industrial Video and now am Engineering at Mills James Productions.

Ozzy and Scott and other Cow-lumbus-ites. Been a while. Check out my web site.

See you all around the boards.

Sean McHenry

Mike McNeese
November 21st, 2006, 03:15 PM
Hey all...I'm in the Lancaster area but end up doing work all over the place. I have my own production company (http://echopro.net - not at all updated right now) that does all kinds of stuff (MVs, indie film, corporate gigs, TV, docs, freelance camera, etc). Upgraded to an HVX package a couple months ago.

Douglas Joseph
November 29th, 2006, 11:23 PM
From Zanesville, OHIO, baby... representin' Zanesville. JVC GYHD110. Hollllllaaaaaa.

Jamie Varney
December 4th, 2006, 10:13 PM
I am from Reynoldsburg (just east of Columbus) Glad to see that there are so many people around from Ohio. you can find out a bit about a future project of mine at my web page: www.jamar-studios.com

Kevin Bayer
January 10th, 2007, 04:28 PM
From Cincinnati, OH.

Joined because we just recently bought a Canon XH A1 here at work and this seemed to be a great resource of information. Exciting to dig my hands and get to know this camera well. Our company, http://www.architechnology.com typically does architectural animations and web design. Site is in the middle of a redesign/update. We're looking to broaden into the video realm.

Cheers!

Kevin Randolph
January 11th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Glad to see another Ohioan here on the board. Good to have you, Kevin...

Marty Hudzik
January 12th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Hey, I've been around here since 98 when I got my XL1 but my user ID had to get reset in 2004. I'm an Ohioan too....Canal Fulton if you have ever heard of it. It's abouit 7 miles west of Canton and 10 miles south of Akron. Cool little town....just moved here from Warren/Youngstown area. Looking to pick up some weddings this year to help cover the costs of moving.

My personal interests are indelendent films and commercial apps.....but a few weddings here and there help pay for the cool equipment that I otherwise couldn't justifiy.

Looking for others in the Akron/Canton area doing the same to network with and help on similar projects.

Peace!

Matt Williams
January 12th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Hello all! I from Hebron Ohio 25 miles East of Columbus, I am part owner of a video production company. We produce a T.V. show that runs on Insight Cable in Columbus and we sell a DVD. We have been around for about 3 years. We use 2- GL2’s and 1 VX2100. Edit with Vegas 6.0. Rode shotgun microphones plus tripods and so on, one nice thing we just got was a Dillon Super Arm. We are working on our new DVD to be out in March! Feel free to check out our website www.thewildlifeonline.com. Thanks, and I can’t wait to put some video up for you to look at.

Christopher Reynolds
January 14th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Marty, you're not too far from my wife and me. We've been working on an independent feature length movie, shooting around the New Philledelphia and Akron areas. We've only got an XL1s however and are borrowing lights from a friend of the director. We're about 2/3 done with principal photography and are beginning some of the post production soon.

Interesting to see so many people from Ohio here.