View Full Version : Pan & Crop without combing?

September 26th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I've got some 4:3 footage that I want to crop to 16:9... but it just creates combing...

Anybody any advice on how to eliminate this?

Cheers

Edward Troxel
September 26th, 2007, 03:21 PM
What if you create a new track 1 and use a Mask instead of Pan/Crop.

September 26th, 2007, 04:32 PM
'cause that would windowbox. i don't want to do any letterboxing, i want to have it full widescreen, anamorphic.

there must be a way, because even Pinnacle can do it without combing, and my widescreen TV can do it... haha

Terry Esslinger
September 27th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I thought to get true anamorphic widescreen you had to shoot the footage that way.??

September 27th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I shoot in 16:9, I output in 16:9. No masks are used. I have 4:3 footage and if I'm going to be working ona 16:9 project, I'm going to have to make the 4:3 footage 16:9 - which means, zooming in on it until the x-width fills the 16:9 frame.

No masks are being used here.

But when I zoom in on the 4:3 footage, it creates combing...

Oh wait, it seems track motion does the job... i'll just try it...

hmm, just tried both methods and all of a sudden the combing is gone... strange..

Ian Stark
September 27th, 2007, 12:30 PM
If the aspect ratio of your source media and your project frame size differs then you may experience unwanted results (at least I have in the past).

Try turning 'maintain aspect ratio' on and off to see if that makes any difference.

Edit: Just seen your last post - got called away while I was writing my response so didn't realise you'd resolved the problem. Glad you got it sorted.

Matthew Chaboud
September 27th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Are you rendering at "Good" or "Best" quality?

Bill Ravens
September 27th, 2007, 02:39 PM
I've experienced the same problem. My workaround was to render out to an intermediate format like PicVideo at 720x480p, before going to my final render. This resulted in a flicker free progressive mpeg2 output. Perhaps it will also work for you going the other direction.

Dan Bridges
September 27th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Yes, you should resize de-interlaced material, not interlaced (unless the new height is 1/4x, 1/2x or 2x the old height).

September 28th, 2007, 04:44 AM
I render at 'Good' because that's the default, should I render at 'best'?

Also yeah the combing has come back on another project of mine... hmm. Maybe I should just try deinterlacing it... I suppose I should try and do it so that the deinterlacing comes BEFORE the crop?

Ahh yes, that works.

Edward Troxel
September 28th, 2007, 07:51 AM
I render at 'Good' because that's the default, should I render at 'best'?

When RESIZING - render at Best. Otherwise, Good is usually fine. You could try it both ways and see if it makes a difference.

September 28th, 2007, 01:58 PM
When RESIZING - render at Best. Otherwise, Good is usually fine. You could try it both ways and see if it makes a difference.

ah so you mean like, if I'm blowing up a 4:3 image to fill a 16:9 frame, I should render at best?

Edward Troxel
September 28th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Especially if you're zooming in on a photo (for example). Pan/Crop uses the full resolution of the underlying media where Track Motion zooms in on the video frame.

September 29th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Especially if you're zooming in on a photo (for example). Pan/Crop uses the full resolution of the underlying media where Track Motion zooms in on the video frame.

oh... so is it not wise of me to zoom in on a 4:3 event using track motion? 'cause that's what i've done, then I've used pan/crop to pan and scan... what exactly is track motion for then?

Edward Troxel
September 29th, 2007, 06:35 AM
I generally use Pan/Crop to zoom IN and/or crop.

I generally use Track Motion to zoom OUT and adjust position.

September 29th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Hmm, for some reason, whatever I do, I'm getting combing.

If I set the toggle to pre or post, there is still combing. If I try applying the deinterlacer before cropping, or after cropping, it still combs. I haven't found one way yet that gets rid of the combing, I'm sure I had it once though but now it's gone...

The only way I can get it acceptable is to get the footage raw, deinterlace it, then open it in a new project and pan and crop then. But I've just spent weeks editing a project and I really don't want to have to dissect it clip by clip, deinterlacing it and cropping it all again and placing it back in place perfectly

EDIT: Aha! It works when I apply the deinterlace to the EVENT ONLY, not the entire track... that sorta in my head makes sense but I don't know why

EDIT 2: Well, it looks fine in the preview window, but I just rendered it all then as an avi and it's got combing again... can't understand it, the deinterlace effect is set to each individual event and it's set to PRE toggle

Gian Pablo Villamil
September 29th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Make sure that you're using *either* the Mike Crash Smart Deinterlace OR the Vegas deinterlacing (Project Properties Dialog), not both at once. Vegas deinterlacing will work in the appropriate places to prevent combing, whereas Smart Deinterlace will be applied in whatever part of the chain you apply it.

I personally find that using Vegas "Interpolate" method gives me excellent results, and only use Smart Deinterlace for special cases.

Also, you can disable the deinterlace filter that Vegas applies to the Preview: Preferences/Preview/Apply Deinterlace Filter

This will let you monitor exactly what your output will really look like.

September 29th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Make sure that you're using *either* the Mike Crash Smart Deinterlace OR the Vegas deinterlacing (Project Properties Dialog), not both at once. Vegas deinterlacing will work in the appropriate places to prevent combing, whereas Smart Deinterlace will be applied in whatever part of the chain you apply it.

I personally find that using Vegas "Interpolate" method gives me excellent results, and only use Smart Deinterlace for special cases.

Also, you can disable the deinterlace filter that Vegas applies to the Preview: Preferences/Preview/Apply Deinterlace Filter

This will let you monitor exactly what your output will really look like.

the deinterlace filter for the preview window - that only seems to apply if you have an external preview device. i can only see a tickbox for that when you set the device to an external or secondary monitor.

also how to you apply the vegas built-in deinterlacer just to specific events? it seems to work when i use that (i have never however used smart deinterlacer and vegas' deinterlacer at the same time so it didn't appear to be that that was causing the problem) but yeah, is it possible to do the interpolate deinterlace method to just single events?

the method i'm using at the moment to get around this is to deinterlace all the 4:3 footage first, render that, and then pan and crop the render. so essentially the same thing but by hand - instead of telling vegas to do deinterlation before any other event modifications, i'm having to do it by hand. dunno why doing it 'by hand' works and vegas doing it itself doesn't...

but this method is long-winded and i'd like for this to work how it should, of course