View Full Version : Senn + beachtek question

John DeLuca
June 3rd, 2003, 03:49 PM
I have a Senn ME-66 with K6 power, plus a beachtek DXA-6 to go with my GL2. Ive been playing with the power levels, varying the beachtek and the manual audio levels on the GL2. After trying several power levels I still get quiet audio, or an echo type sound. Even after turning it up all most all the way, it still sounds quiet(except full power). I admit this is all new to me, so any advice is helpfull, I dont want to damage the equipment.

John DeLuca

Dany Nativel
June 3rd, 2003, 05:24 PM
For $50 more, get the MM-1 Pre-amp from Sounddevices.

Just received mine... it's a great little unit capable of providing up to 48V (12V or 48V). From now I removed the battery from my ME-66 module to only use the Phantom power from the MM-1 (I also noticed less noise floor using this setup).

It also gives you a great headphone monitoring (way superior to the GL2 headphone out) and a very convenient feature if you're operating the GL2 alone... a limiter.

Not to mention that keeping the gain of the GL2 as low as possible helps to have a pretty dawn good sound because the external pre-amp is better.

I'm still trying to wrap-up an article with some measurements to compare audio before and after.

This MM-1 thing got me !
Dany

PS: I know it doesn't attach to the cam but I'm working on a way to install it on the Mini DV Shoulder Brace from Studio1.

Don Palomaki
June 3rd, 2003, 05:36 PM
Quiet audio? In what way? have you checked the level of the audio in the digital signal on tape? Are you using the AGC mode? AGC keeps the average record level about 12 dB below maximum rcord level, whihc is about right for consumer gear.

Some people have reported quiet audio when the issue was with the method they used to monitor the audio. The signal recorded on tape was at normal levels. Trust the metering on the GL2.

John DeLuca
June 3rd, 2003, 08:30 PM
If I set the beachtek at ten, then on average, how high should I set the manual audio level on the GL2? Is there a rule of thumb for different situations? Thanks again.

John DeLuca

Don Palomaki
June 4th, 2003, 04:12 AM
I do not have a GL2 so this is based on myunderstanding of it.

If you have sufficient output form the mic, use the MIC ATT setting of the GL2, it should result in a lower recorded noise floor.

If using manual gain with the GL2, set the Beachtek output to max setting.

Adjust the GL2 level to give peak recording level during loudest expected sounds just below maximum reocrd level (0 dB). If you can't get within 6 dB or so of max indication on the meter, try MIC setting and repeat the above.

John DeLuca
June 4th, 2003, 09:49 PM
I checked out all the settings and everything looks good. I just orderd a uv meter and headphone amp. Thanks again for all the help.