View Full Version : Two niggles

September 28th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I've come across two little time-consuming problems in Vegas, and I dunno if there's a solution for them...

First of all, is it not possible to add effects to a MULTIPLE events without having to add the effect to the entire track? I've tried highlighting multiple events then right-clicking and selecting 'event FX' but it's ghosted; plus the manual seems to only mention either adding an effect to ONE event, or the ENTIRE track...

Secondly, I notice that in order to make a piece of footage transparent you modify the 'level' of that track. Is it not possible to just modify the transparency of ONE event, instead of the entire track?

Thanks

Edward Troxel
September 28th, 2007, 04:18 PM
First of all, is it not possible to add effects to a MULTIPLE events without having to add the effect to the entire track? I've tried highlighting multiple events then right-clicking and selecting 'event FX' but it's ghosted; plus the manual seems to only mention either adding an effect to ONE event, or the ENTIRE track...

Certainly you can. Add the effect(s) to the FIRST event. Once done, COPY that event (ctrl-c). Next select the REST of the events, right-click one of them, and choose "Paste Event Attributes".

Secondly, I notice that in order to make a piece of footage transparent you modify the 'level' of that track. Is it not possible to just modify the transparency of ONE event, instead of the entire track?

Sure you can. Move the mouse/arrow toward the TOP of the event. It will turn into a hand. Click and drag downward. That will change the opacity for that entire event.

Now if you want opacity to change variably over time, add a "Composite Envelope" to that track and you can add multiple points as needed.

September 29th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Ahh, thank you :)

Jeff Harper
October 2nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
You can also highlight the events you want to add FX to, but don't right click them...drag the effect from the FX menu.

Pasting event attributes as Edward says is a great way to do it as well, except it interferes when I am using slow motion, as pasting event attributes affects that as well. For example, if I have a clip that is slowed down among the clips I am applying attibutes to, that slow motion clip will take on the playback speed of the copied file, in other word it wipes out my slow motion effect. I have found this to be a very frustrating limitation of the paste event attibutes feature.

Jason Donaldson
October 2nd, 2007, 06:48 PM
This is a question along the same lines, hopefully you have an answer. I am creating a wedding highlights project, using approx 50-60 clips cut from 4 tapes. Is there a way to similtaneously use the pan/zoom effect for all clips, instead of doing it seperatly 50-60 times?

Jason Donaldson
October 2nd, 2007, 07:02 PM
got it, nevermind

Ian Stark
October 3rd, 2007, 01:07 AM
Pasting event attributes as Edward says is a great way to do it as well, except it interferes when I am using slow motion, as pasting event attributes affects that as well. For example, if I have a clip that is slowed down among the clips I am applying attibutes to, that slow motion clip will take on the playback speed of the copied file, in other word it wipes out my slow motion effect. I have found this to be a very frustrating limitation of the paste event attibutes feature.

It would be nice to have a 'paste selected attributes' function, where you can choose which attributes are applied to selected clips.

Out of interest, when you drag an fx from the palette onto a group of selected clips, are the parameters changed in unison for all clips or are they/can they be changed individually? I can't check as I am in mid-render!

Jeff Harper
October 3rd, 2007, 01:18 AM
No, if you change one of the clips, it is the only one that changes, doesn't affect the others you previously highlighted.

Ian Stark
October 3rd, 2007, 01:45 AM
Ah, thought so!

I guess the trick is to create a preset first, then drag that from the FX palette to your selected clips.

I don't think there is any palette for filter packages, is there? Shame, that would have been a bonus!

Jeff Harper
October 3rd, 2007, 04:14 AM
Yes. That's pretty much what I have found I must do, create the preset, then apply in en masse, so to speak.