View Full Version : Easy way to create a lower third for titles?

Mike Costantini
September 30th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I'm not advanced with Vegas 7 but I would like to be able to create a simple lower third to use over and over again in this DVD I'm making. Can someone help me do this?

Eric Weiss
September 30th, 2007, 06:47 PM
simple, inside vegas would be to open a new video track and add the color of your choice from "media gens." open that track for track motion and move it down to the lower third area and select your opacity and add your text.

Mike Costantini
September 30th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I made one, how does this look? Are safe regions still a big issue on today's televisions? I'm previewing this on a 20" samsung flat screen crt tv and when I put the text just inside the inner safe region, it looks so high from the bottom on the TV..

Edward Troxel
September 30th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Are safe regions still a big issue on today's televisions?

Absolutely - if you want it to work on the largest number of displays possible.

Eric Weiss
September 30th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Looks good! Yes, TV's can crop up to 20% around the edge. Use the guides and output to a few monitors if you can. You'll learn the safe areas pretty quick.

Mike Costantini
September 30th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I'm just using the default safe zone areas then.. Does that frame capture look ok on your computer monitor? It looks really nice on the TV, but on my monitor, it looks really dark..

Mike Costantini
October 3rd, 2007, 02:47 PM
Does that screen capture look too dark for people who are going to buy the DVD that intend to watch it on a computer? I took the frame straight from the Vegas timeline..

Brandon Freeman
October 3rd, 2007, 03:20 PM
I think it looks very pro. Not too dark at all.

Mike Costantini
October 3rd, 2007, 03:29 PM
Wow, very pro?? That's the first time I heard that with regard to my video editing haha. Thank you. Well I guess if it's not too dark on your computer monitor, it must mean that mine isn't set bright enough. Do others reading this thread agree with Brandon?

Jason Robinson
October 4th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Wow, very pro?? That's the first time I heard that with regard to my video editing haha. Thank you. Well I guess if it's not too dark on your computer monitor, it must mean that mine isn't set bright enough. Do others reading this thread agree with Brandon?

Yes. It looks well done. Keeping in mind that this is just a screen grab, but judging it so far it looks very clean. No crap in the background like if it were filmed in a bedroom, living room. If the audio quality matches the screen grab then you have a quality product.

Mike Costantini
October 4th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Yes, it's just a simple black background so there's no distractions from the subject giving the lesson. My concern was with the overall levels since it is looking great on the TV I'm using as a monitor, but looks rather dark on my LCD computer monitor. Is there any way of properly calibrating my computer monitor ? Then again I guess everyone has all their monitors set differently. The main thing I'm trying to avoid is having the overall levels look either washed out or too dark between the two viewing mediums.

Hugh Mobley
October 4th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Ulead Photoimpact 12 has lower thirds, which can be saved as jpegs, pngs gifs, and work pretty well, then use pan crop

Jason Robinson
October 5th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Is there any way of properly calibrating my computer monitor ?

THe only wa to get nearly 100% sure answers to this question is to actually spend the several hundred and buy a calibrated monitor. Yes they are expensive (The DVInfo.net classifieds has one up for $600 right now).

Mike Costantini
October 5th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I didn't know one could buy a calibrated computer monitor...

Mike Kujbida
October 5th, 2007, 11:21 AM

For a lot less than $600 ($79 to $249 US), pick up one of the Spyder products (http://www.colorvision.com/product-mc.php) and calibrate yourself.

Douglas Clark
October 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM

You can also buy a gadget to calibrate levels and colors on your computer screens. I bought a Pantone/Gretag Eye-One Display 2 (http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=788) to calibrate my dual LCD screens...and my laptop...so they all look alike, and with standard brightness, color temperature and color rendition (as good as the LCDs can do). See review at Northlight Images (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/eye-one_display_2.html). It works great. It's not the same as having a professional calibrated broadcast monitor, but that's a whole different price range. (note, it won't do TVs, just PC displays).

Luke Hamilton
September 1st, 2009, 12:12 PM
(Noob question) Is there an easy way to do this in AE as well?

Thanks.

Jason Robinson
September 1st, 2009, 12:53 PM
(Noob question) Is there an easy way to do this in AE as well?

Thanks.

AE would seem like over kill. Simply create a static file in Photoshop and then apply pan/crop motion to bring the file in & out of frame. But AE would be better for creating a motion lower third that would look a bit higher end.

Don Bloom
September 1st, 2009, 01:44 PM
VAAST has or had some lower 1/3rds called GrafPak that works but for the majority of stuff I either do it in Photoshop (if I want a static background) OR I use something called Texture Loopsthat I've had for years and simply resize/reposition them in Vegas for thirds that have movement.

Bill Mecca
September 3rd, 2009, 07:58 AM
I've created lower thirds in Photoshop or Gimp and saved as a PNG keeping the transparency. take them in as a layer and even though I have the positioned about right on the screen, I have used Pan and Crop to tweak the positioning a bit. I usually do the text within Vegas.

Mike Kujbida
September 3rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Free Texture Site.com (http://www.dougturner.net/blendersite/)
Image * After - currently 23913 free textures and images available (http://www.imageafter.com/)
[CG Textures] - The worlds largest free texture site (http://www.cgtextures.com/)

Enjoy :-)