View Full Version : Sony PVM-14L1 and color correction.

James Brill
October 3rd, 2007, 11:05 PM
I am getting a mac pro to go along my HVR Z1 so I plan to always shoot in HDV. I am wondering if I will be able to color correct my work with the PVM-14L1. I recently started using it in the field when shooting but I am mainly studying how to be an editor in college right now so my big thing is of course color correction. Do I need to get an hdtv to preview an hdv timeline in FCP 6? Also actually getting hdv from the timeline to a monitor seems to be messing with me since. Should I get a card like Intensity to preview, even though its pointless to capture with it since the Z1 doesn't have hdmi output, or should I get something like the grass valley canopus?

Chris Forbes
October 4th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Check out the Matrox MXO.

http://www.matrox.com/video/products/mxo/home.cfm

Color accurate output for your mac to a 24" apple monitor.

James Brill
October 5th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Ya i've heard about tuners but are they really better than utilizing the pvm monitor i already have?

edit- upon further inspection it seems like I would just use the box to have a color correct computer monitor (most likely the hd apple display) and on the side have my PVM set to 4:3 with the box feeding it center cut sd. I want to view my hdv timeline in sd since I have been trying to make commercials for broadcast but I want to have an hdv master. I just down convert when I export the timeline.