View Full Version : Our Dominican Trailer

Patrick Moreau
October 7th, 2007, 02:00 PM
What a gorgeous location to shoot. We shot a wedding here 2 days ago, a trash the dress shoot yesterday, and have another 2 days to relax by the beach. While lounging by the beach drinking our Pina Coladas, we cut a 2 min trailer for our blog. It was a pretty wild bridal entrance, and the locations where the bride and groom got ready were really fun to shoot. It was a challenge to shoot the ceremony since it was all in Spanish, but it all came out very well.

Sorry for the music selection, we didn't have much with us. The clip was shot in 24p with a XL-H1 on an steadicam and an XH-A1 and brevis. We should have the trash the dress video online by next week.

http://stillmotionblog.com/?p=220

Patrick

Franklin Bencosme
October 7th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Hello Patrick....Nice work, beautiful colors.
Thanks for sharing this video from my country.
Where was the location that you shoot this wedding.

Thanks Franklin

Dana Salsbury
October 8th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Patrick, what you did with the rings was very, very cool. I loved the starfish!

Now I want to go there!

Alan Doheny
October 8th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Loved it Patrick.

Richard Wakefield
October 8th, 2007, 04:56 AM
yep, loved it too...

i take it you were bare-foot in the shots where the waves come in!

Patrick Moreau
October 8th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks guys,

The wedding was in Puerto Plata at a Lifestyles resort. I actually ran the steadicam all day in sandals as dress shoes wouldn't match the shorts and I didn't bring anything else. We did a trash the dress the following day in the ocean as well and the sandals really helped. Almost lost the cam and steadicam a couple times with those waves though.

Glad you like the ring shots Dana- we really took some time trying to come up with some Dominican flavored shots.

Patrick

Warren Kawamoto
October 9th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Awesome! Your "look" with color is very contemporary and refined.

Bill Grant
October 9th, 2007, 08:12 AM
hate you hate you hate you hate you. and hate you.
Amazing work. I hope there is enough time in life that I may be one day where you are now. Great.
Bill

John Moon
October 9th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Loved it Patrick. I am wanting to get a steadicam but realize that it takes a lot of practice but it really adds to the cinematic feel. You have the eye and the skill. How did you achieve the blueish hue?
Thanks,
John

Vito DeFilippo
October 9th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Thanks, Bill, for my first laugh of the day. Nearly peed my pants...

Patrick Moreau
October 9th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Great comments guys.

Warren,
Thanks for mentioning the color. It is something we have really tried to step up lately- that and on SDEs.

Bill,
That is probably the best comment we have received to date. Thanks for that.

John,
The way I do coloring, I selectively add certain hues to only a portion of the image. For the cross-processed look, as an example, I use more greens in the dark areas. The blue toning involves more blues in the darks. These are done with native FCP filters.

Patrick

Bill Grant
October 9th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Can I come to Canada and live with you for a few months? I'll do it in the winter. I don't care. I'll cook. Clean; whatever... help me... :)

Bill

Patrick Moreau
October 9th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Woohoo another post. We've been stuck int he Dominican airport for almost 12 hours now with at least another 3 to go- comments are more than welcome right now.

Bill- Sounds great to me (the cleaning that is). On weekends you can come out of cleaning mode and shoot a bit with us too.

Patrick

Matthew Craggs
October 10th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Absolutely LOVE the shot at 1:19. I know you hear it alot, but you're work is absolutely breathtaking.

Travis Cossel
October 10th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Amazing work. I hope there is enough time in life that I may be one day where you are now. Great.
Bill

LOL. Another great video. I hate you guys . . . I mean I love you guys . . I mean I hate you guys . . . oh well, you know what I mean . . .

Jason Donaldson
October 10th, 2007, 06:25 PM
WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT WORTHY!

Good God man, how on earth does someone get that fabulous at thinking of all these great shot ideas, and then actually make it look incredibly awe inspiring in post??????

I mean, I just did my first wedding a couple weeks ago, and the B&G were absolutely thrilled with the work I had done for them (the bride cried after seeing her bridal prep footage), but after seeing what you did here? Looks like mine was done by a 5th grader. Man am I depressed and motivated, all at the same time.

Travis Cossel
October 10th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Man am I depressed and motivated, all at the same time.

That is EXACTLY how I feel anytime I watch something of Patrick's. Patrick, I hope you know we all appreciate you posting your work for us to aspire to. Seriously.

Michael Y Wong
October 11th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Absolutely LOVE the shot at 1:19.

Thank you!!!! *and now back to Patrick's thunder...*

Patrick Moreau
October 11th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Michael,

Come on now- we both know that was totally a team effort. What a killer shot at 1:19 though- I totally agree with you Matthew.

Patrick Moreau
October 11th, 2007, 10:39 AM
That is EXACTLY how I feel anytime I watch something of Patrick's. Patrick, I hope you know we all appreciate you posting your work for us to aspire to. Seriously.

Thanks for the comments Travis. We sometimes wonder about posting, but I can remember several years back how much I enjoyed being able to see Glen's work and having something to aspire to.

Keep in mind though, this is definitely not just my work. Michael and Tony do a lot of our shooting and put in just as much as I do. Michael these days is even helping review some edits before they go live,so the whole team is involved all along the way.

Travis Cossel
October 11th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Don't ever think twice about posting your work. I love seeing what you guys do.

Sean Seah
October 12th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Superb! Very cinematic. Several scenes were very creative, like the starfish and rings. Most impressive to me were the stabilser shots.. I think u were able to maximise the potential of the eqpt really well.. high low shots.. made me think that u had a crane in some of the shots! U were in a full rig I guess?

Amish Solanki
October 12th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Just came across your videos today Patrick, and all I gotta say is WOW. I first saw your Canon Expo video today (which I had known earlier, as I was at the Vancouver CPS Expo on the first day), then just watched this Dominican one. You have some AMAZING shots!