View Full Version : HPX 500 and non CAC lenses

Pablo Lozano
October 18th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Hi everybody,
We were thinking to buy the HVX 200 + let us and canon FD lenses , but becuase people who pay the documentary wants more now we are thinking to buy the HPX 500. We are in a poor budget and one of the shops offers us a pack of HPX 500 + canon YJ20X8.5KRS that is not a CAC lense.
Has anybody work with lenses that are non CAC? Is it going to give us a images problem? Are there any CAC lense cheap?
Thanks
Pablo

Jan Crittenden Livingston
October 18th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Hi everybody,
We were thinking to buy the HVX 200 + let us and canon FD lenses , but becuase people who pay the documentary wants more now we are thinking to buy the HPX 500. We are in a poor budget and one of the shops offers us a pack of HPX 500 + canon YJ20X8.5KRS that is not a CAC lense.
Has anybody work with lenses that are non CAC? Is it going to give us a images problem? Are there any CAC lense cheap?
Thanks
Pablo

This is a Standard Definition lens and will have CAC, I believe and it will be quite noticieable. The CAC lenses are cheap for HD lenses, and I would stick with one of those instead.

Best,
Jan

Mike Marriage
October 18th, 2007, 05:29 AM
The YJ20X8.5KRS is a pretty low end lens. I would spend more even for an SD camera.

Having said that. I haven't used that exact lens, but from experience with other lower end lens, they are cheaper for a reason. If your budget is tight, you may be better off with a second hand lens, as long as it has been well cared for.

Also think whether you have to buy, or can you rent better gear. If they are demanding more then they have to be willing to pay for it.

Pablo Lozano
October 20th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Thank you for your advice, It is clear that we will have to get a credit in order to get a better lens.
Best regards

Kaku Ito
October 20th, 2007, 05:03 AM
i used SD broadcast lens for a while and ended up buying the CAC Fujinon lens.
With SD lens, closeups are okay but with wide angle shot, CAC looks so much better.

Pablo Lozano
October 23rd, 2007, 03:52 AM
Hi again,
One more question, OK, it is clear that al least I should buy a CAC but the question is if somebody offers me a HD lens, which one will match better with the HPX, the CAC or the HD lens?
Thanks.

Kaku Ito
October 23rd, 2007, 07:57 AM
CAC. As Barry mentioned the favorable order before.
I also tried using X11 Canon Broadcast HD lens but CA was noticeable with wide angle shoot in bright situation.
It's not like you can't use the HD lens but you would have to be careful when you shoot. Also, it seems like CAC wouldn't get rid of all CA problems, but it seems to improve the clearness of the image under the situation when you would get CA.