View Full Version : My Competition

Lalo Alvidrez
October 21st, 2007, 10:48 AM
I always do videography but was asked if I could be photog for a wedding yesterday. The groom had asked me if I could do both video and photo but let him know that I had another commitment on the videography so I couldn't be there all day. Anyways he said he had hired a videographer already but wasn't too sure about the quality of his work. After I saw his rig I know why. I felt better knowing he's one of my local competitors. The thing is he charges $300 for his video.

Terry Esslinger
October 21st, 2007, 11:16 AM
This is a joke, right? Quite literally the hot set up!

Lalo Alvidrez
October 21st, 2007, 11:50 AM
No joke Terry. Love the pull chain also. Funny thing is during the ceremony and the reception, where there was plenty of light, he had his light on. I have a picture standing right behind him but I'll have to go through my files to find it.

Carl Middleton
October 21st, 2007, 11:52 AM
I would love to see that!

This setup is hilarious! Couldn't he at least found one with a switch? I can understand not wanting to cut the light off.... I'd get a kick out of watching any wedding video where you occasionally heard a REALLY LOUD chi-click of him turning the light on or off =D

C

Travis Cossel
October 21st, 2007, 02:25 PM
I'm pretty much speechless over that image . . .

Dave Blackhurst
October 21st, 2007, 04:10 PM
Well, the HC3 isn't THAT bad a camera... but what is up with that floodlight rig, between the pull chain and the big orange AC cord, I'd be surprised if the rig remains upright through shoot - it just begs to be tripped over by a clumsy groomsman...

And does the vid-ographer get drunk and put a lampshade over the thing at the reception?

It certainly was a hoot to look at though! I'll watch on EBay next week for this guy listing his "lighting rig"!

Travis Cossel
October 21st, 2007, 04:12 PM
I'd be surprised if the rig remains upright through shoot

Isn't that what duct tape is for? lol

Don Bloom
October 21st, 2007, 05:51 PM
OK this reminds me of some of the stuff I saw (and sadly used) back in the early 80s. Seriously! Your running area was determined by the length of your extension cord needed to power the big old deck you had to haul around AND for lighting many {yeah, me too :-(} used an old 6 light bar that we all had for 8mm film. We would put 100W (or more) bulbs in it hit the switch and go! Don't forget the sunglasses and sun screen (spf 900) ;-)

Man THOSE were the days! heheheh!!!!!!!

Hey for $300 bucks whaddya want. Does he charge extra to use tape in the camera?!?!?!?!

Oh well to each his or her own.
Thanks (I think) for bringing back a flood(light) of memories.
Don

Mike Oveson
October 22nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
How did you get pictures of my rig?! I demand that you take that down immediately. ;)

Ok, it's not my rig. Very clever picture though. I love the extension cord. Wonderful bit of humor on a Monday.

Brian Boyko
October 22nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
You know, I feel alot better about my rig now...

$300/hr? Damn.

Matthew Craggs
October 22nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
$300/hr? Damn.

The original post said $300/video.

Problem is that there are couples out there who will hire him based entirely on price.

Then again, the people who hire based on price aren't really the clients you want.

Ken Wozniak
October 22nd, 2007, 12:40 PM
I wonder if the bottom of the lamp is visible on the wide angle shots?

I'm not calling you a liar, Lalo, but until I see the photo of the guy using it at the wedding, I'll continue to believe this is a (very funny) joke. I've GOT to see this thing in action.

Dang, that is hilarious. I hope it's true.

Ken Wozniak
October 22nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
OMG, I just noticed something on the hand strap. Look at the back end of the strap. Is that the plastic ring to hold the product information tag? Does this guy intend to take the camera back after shooting the wedding?

Jason Robinson
October 22nd, 2007, 05:45 PM
OMG, I just noticed something on the hand strap. Look at the back end of the strap. Is that the plastic ring to hold the product information tag? Does this guy intend to take the camera back after shooting the wedding?

I think you might have something there. Amazing. The problem is how do professionals using pro gear compete if a slick sales man with that setup can get by?

Travis Cossel
October 22nd, 2007, 05:52 PM

I used to work for a guy who would do stuff like this. Just one of many reason I don't work there anymore.

Chris Barcellos
October 22nd, 2007, 05:57 PM
I think I like it.

Signed,

McGyver...

Lalo Alvidrez
October 23rd, 2007, 07:20 PM
I tell you, this is the real deal. The guy had the Billy Ray Cirus look with the mullet hair. He was wearing white pants and a turquoise shirt with his company name on it. I did notice the tag and meant to read what is had on it. Talked to him a bit and he said he stays pretty busy going to different towns in this area. Apparently that $300 charge attracts a lot of folks. I asked him what nle he used and he said Hollywood?? I told him I used Sony Vegas and he said that was what he used but it was Sony Hollywood. I'm going to ask the groom to let me see his video once it's done. I can't wait.

Brian Boyko
October 23rd, 2007, 07:47 PM
Here's what I'm worried about.

Wouldn't the bottom part of that light make it into the frame?

Mike Oveson
October 24th, 2007, 09:36 AM
This is real? I guess I'm just a cynic, because this seems too unreal to be true. Very, very strange.

Chris Barcellos
October 24th, 2007, 03:09 PM
This is real? I guess I'm just a cynic, because this seems too unreal to be true. Very, very strange.

In the 60's and 70's we used to walk around with corded movie lights hooked up to our 8mm and super8 cameras.... so this is more of a throw back.... Though that bulb seems like it would get the camera rather hot...

For $300, I'm guessing he throws the tape or tapes to the bride and groom as they leave reception....

Michael Nistler
October 24th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Ha, this is certrainly an amateur setup. An pro worth their weight could use the same setup but would cover the light with a pretty Chimera softbox :-)

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

Terry Esslinger
October 25th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Just looked at my calendar--- says April 1st!?

Lalo Alvidrez
October 25th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Here is the man in action. Thought it was a turquoise shirt but it's actually blue.

Vito DeFilippo
October 25th, 2007, 09:40 PM
This is too frickin' funny!

Lalo Alvidrez
October 26th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Now that's some funny stuff!

Chris Barcellos
October 26th, 2007, 11:47 AM
No, its McGyver.

Man, that orange extension cord really adds to the charm of the set up.....

Is that a "dead cat" in front of his face, or just something to protect the innocent...

Denny Gay
October 26th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Unbelieveable. I just got into the bussiness over the summer and just plain 'ole common sense would just tell you that you can't operate in this manner.

Just currious, and while we're on the subject, what do you guys think about using these type of cameras, sony hc-3 HDV or cannon HDV and so on ?

I went to a small vendor convention and noticed two companies using these cameras.

Daniel Ross
October 26th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I'll be greatly amused if his video turns out extremely well.
And probably just as amused if it turns out horribly.

Noa Put
October 26th, 2007, 12:40 PM
You all laugh at him as much as you want but notice all the gold around his arm and fingers and I bet his shirt is from versace. :)

Martin Pauly
October 26th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Just currious, and while we're on the subject, what do you guys think about using these type of cameras, sony hc-3 HDV or cannon HDV and so on ?I own an HC3 and also a Z1U. Guess which one impresses the customers more? Still, with good lighting, the HC3 produces a fantastic picture. I often use it as a second camera along with the Z1U.

- Martin

Ken Wozniak
October 26th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Lalo,

I sincerely apologize for doubting you on the validity of the picture.
What was plugged into the right side of the light socket near the pull-chain?
>D
pull-chain...he he he

Ken Wozniak
October 26th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Just so everybody knows, I'm not knocking the guy shooting the video or questioning the quality of his work. I'm merely laughing at the electrical-tape-light-socket-pull-chain setup of his gear.

For all I know, this guy produces video with the same high quality of others on this board.

Okay, my conscience is clear...and I think I've removed myself from any legal proceedings brought against this forum by the man in the photos. But I'm no lawyer.

Lalo Alvidrez
December 15th, 2007, 12:15 PM
update, met with the b/g and he said he was embarassed to send the video to his family that couldn't make the wedding so he asked if I could re-edit the video. He was given all the raw footage. I let him know that I could but I can only make it look so good that it actually starts with good shooting. We're supposed to meet up in Jan. to discuss the details.

Dave Blackhurst
December 15th, 2007, 02:50 PM
just remember you're going to need a custom pull chain retrofit/plug in for your NLE and factor that into the cost <wink>!

Dennis Murphy
December 15th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I'm amazed some people are still using chains...

Dave Blackhurst
December 16th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Hmm, Dennis, innovative design, how is it for noise reduction??

I have a box of chains in my garage! But that's another story for another time...

Jarrod Whaley
December 16th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Jeez Louise, this is some funny stuff! The pull-chain light is almost surreal!

Sony Hollywood! :D

Hey though, if the guy can make a living working this way, then more power to him. At $300 per wedding shoot, it's not as if he's stealing all of the good clients out from under you.

Now, if you start hearing from potential new clients things like "But Bobby Bodunk said he'd do it for only $300," then you might want to start getting worried. Until that time, this guy remains one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Alastair Brown
December 16th, 2007, 05:59 AM
I think there is still some room for improvement.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/old-bugga/Mk2Large.jpg

Noa Put
December 16th, 2007, 06:59 AM
I think there is still some room for improvement.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/old-bugga/Mk2Large.jpg

That would be a great addition for candid camera shots, nobody will ever notice you are there. :)

Alastair Brown
December 16th, 2007, 01:44 PM
That would be a great addition for candid camera shots, nobody will ever notice you are there. :)

Yeah...shh! I think thats how they film those "fly on the wall" shows.

You'd almost miss it!