View Full Version : Scetches of Spain - XL H1 / Letus XL in Almeria

Jonas Nystrom
November 5th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Back from Spain, with lovely experience with XL H1 and Letus XL. A three days combined still and commercial production. I Used 50mm Nikkor for all shots. Marshall 7' for focus (no the Canon evf is still not good enough). Enclosed frame grabs and a picture of my setup for the production. I shot almost all clips handheld - but this setup is heavy. Some visible grain in light blue (heaven), but not to much (I will fix it in post). You have to have some NDs in your pocket if you are shooting daylight/sun. Letus is best at shutter 1/25-1/90. Will post clips any day...

I have ordered a RED, but still I'm quite impressed of this camera (which I will keep).

Paul Watkins
November 5th, 2007, 06:07 PM
That is a sweet setup. looking forward to seeing some footage.

Benjamin Richardson
December 9th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Jonas,

Your cinematography continues to be an inspiration. Any chance we could see a few clips? Would you mind revealing any presets/post processes used?

Carl Ny
December 9th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Looks nice Jonas!

I have the same setup, but looking for follow-focus;
is it the Cavision you use there? Are you happy with it?

Keep it up!

Carl

Jonas Nystrom
December 9th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Jonas,

Your cinematography continues to be an inspiration. Any chance we could see a few clips? Would you mind revealing any presets/post processes used?

Thanks a lot!!

I've shot Chris a mail as instructed, but haven't received any answer - do you guys know if he still is host clips? If so I will post clips any day!

Jonas Nystrom
December 9th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Looks nice Jonas!

I have the same setup, but looking for follow-focus;
is it the Cavision you use there? Are you happy with it?

Keep it up!

Carl

It's Cavision, and I'm happy with it, though it is the only FF I've used so I cant really tell...

Oleg Kalyan
December 9th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Jonas, any chance you could post full frame (2K) image, just wanted to see resolution, how Letus compares to P+S Mini, which I own.
Regards.

Jonas Nystrom
December 9th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Oleg

I will do - but the resolution isn't good as the P+S adapters - but IMHO it have maybe more of a cine feeling and the resolution is good enough! But I will post!

Jonas Nystrom
December 14th, 2007, 03:58 PM
If you still want to have a look - some clips of my latest project is up at www.hotshot.nu

Posted scenes are still "in progress". The clips are speedgraded, in SD (h.264 720x405), it is not in sync with the score still "in progress". Shot with LetusXL with Alister Chapmans wonderful preset 5296FILM. All slowmos done with overcranks. All shot with Nikkor 85mm.

Benjamin Richardson
December 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Jonas,

Thank you for posting the footage and Info. Looks Great!

Will we be able to see the completed version?

Oleg Kalyan
December 20th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Jonas, your footage has a music video, special look, I guess that's what 35 adapter does in addition to CC, what was the F stop on most of the shots?

Jonas Nystrom
December 22nd, 2007, 05:09 PM
The Nikon lens was left wide open all the time. The relay lens about f5.6. I managed the light by ND filters and graded NDs.

John Benton
December 22nd, 2007, 10:03 PM
Jonas,
Beautiful work,
You use the H1 color very well too

J

Jonas Nystrom
December 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM
I have a final version if you like to see @ http://www.vimeo.com/album/4472. Vimeo is quite good for sharing - in HD (edit - kind of HD, better then youtube anyway)!

Jonas Nystrom
January 8th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Probably old news - but at vimeo you have real HD now, and if you log in you have the possibility to download the quicktime files. Great for sharing HD clips in a really easy way!

Final grading from the Almeria production is up at www.vimeo.com/nystrom

Alkim Un
February 19th, 2008, 02:34 AM
hi jonas,

I liked very much of your clips, especially the "shoes like no other", and I downloaded the 720p from vimeo. You really achieved the audience can link theirselves and feel what the models feel in your clip. congrats.

I watch again and again all of your clips and reason I liked shoes like no other is the music. is it made for this, or you get it somewhere, the group ? singer ?

thanks,
alkim.

Jonas Nystrom
February 19th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Thank you.

Music is made for all the clips at my showreel. I was a musician in a former life and put a lot of effort and money to get a good score!

Dave Gosley
February 20th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Back from Spain, with lovely experience with XL H1 and Letus XL. A three days combined still and commercial production. I Used 50mm Nikkor for all shots. Marshall 7' for focus (no the Canon evf is still not good enough). Enclosed frame grabs and a picture of my setup for the production. I shot almost all clips handheld - but this setup is heavy. Some visible grain in light blue (heaven), but not to much (I will fix it in post). You have to have some NDs in your pocket if you are shooting daylight/sun. Letus is best at shutter 1/25-1/90. Will post clips any day...

I have ordered a RED, but still I'm quite impressed of this camera (which I will keep).

Hi Jonas
Great stuff on the vimeo - well done. You state "I have ordered a RED, but still I'm quite impressed of this camera (which I will keep)."

I am nw so please forgive the question - what is a RED ?

Jonas Nystrom
February 21st, 2008, 05:23 AM
Thanks Dave. RED is the revolution! Have a look at www.red.com ;-)

Dave Gosley
February 22nd, 2008, 02:41 AM
Hi Jonas
I did sime homework yesterday and found it, but thans for passing this my way.
Add this to the Rolls Royce I'll never own but what a piece of kit - superb.
Shame they dont do part exchange for an XH-H1 with less then 5 hours on it...