View Full Version : DVX100 -- various topics

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

Peter Jefferson
December 10th, 2006, 12:59 AM
no.. there is no hack, there is no firmware upgrade
both units are VASTLY differnt in build structure and chipset.

Leo Salazar
December 12th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Hello

I would get a polarizer, possibly a clear glass filter for dusty locations and a warming filter as well.

Graduated grey/ND are very helpfull as well.

Regards

Leo

Luca Tagliacozzo
December 21st, 2006, 08:33 AM
I own a DX1E since now three years and I paid it 450$ (probably a lot).
The main issue are:
1) No firewire connection you have to use another camcorder to pass your footage to a PC.
2) No audio level monitor, this can be ok if you don't plan to use it.
3) No optical sabilizer.
4) No movable screen (and it is not a shoulder camcroder).

However I am satisfied with its image quality.
If properly used I think it can be compared with the one obtained by much more expensive camcorder. (I own no expensive one so I guess).
Put it on a tripod with an external mic (the one it has takes a lot of noise from the tape mechanism but some times you find on ebay the dedicated vw vms1e that does an excellent job) and the 3ccd even if quite old do their job quite well.
It has a manual focusing ring, it can take very good scenes if you use it in frame with 1/50.

Even if it seems it drop frames in the internal visor it doesn't when you look at them after.

A last issue with my camcorder is that it frequently present drosp in the recorded scenes.
I guess this is because it is a 10 years old camcorders and I should replace the heads.
But this is quite expensive, so I keep going for the moment.

In summary, if properly used and you have a camcorder to connect to your Pc I think it can be a real bargain.

Hope this helps.
Luca

Peter Reynolds
December 27th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a used DVX100B? Anybody out there with one to sell?

I live in Toronto, Canada and would like to buy locally, but would consider purchasing from the US.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Happy New Year!

Peter
info@fortherecordproductions.com

James A. Davis
December 28th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I did a bit of research and I'm trying to figure out what would be the better investment. I know the B does the timecode synch but I dont have another B to synch with. Any suggestions? Is the A going the way of the original now (DVX100)?

Barry Green
December 28th, 2006, 11:30 AM
The "A" has been discontinued for a long, long time.

The "B" doesn't need to sync with another "B", it can sync with any DV camera.

Baris Hanci
January 13th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Hi there,
I'll have some more questions about dvx-100:

1- I have a pal dvx100 and I'll shoot 25p, but how will I edit it? In a dv-pal project? I use premiere pro 2.0 and it has got 24p, not 25p.....

2- What is the cinemode? Is it progressive scan? Which is better for a film-like look, 25p or cinemode?

3-Is 1/25 shutter speed suitable for 25p recording? (apart from the lighting conditions)

Thank you...

Peter Jefferson
January 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM
1- I have a pal dvx100 and I'll shoot 25p, but how will I edit it? In a dv-pal project? I use premiere pro 2.0 and it has got 24p, not 25p.....

((I thought prem pro 2 allowed u to allocate your global position during install? In turn allowing for 25p... one thing however si that PPRo has never been good with progressive footage.. either way it doesnt matter.. as your footage is native progressive it shoudl still be taken in without a problem as the footage is in a 50i stream. I havent messed with prempro2 with progressive as most ppl who use it shoot interlaced.... check the manual))

2- What is the cinemode?
((Cinemode?? are u refering to CineGamma? ))

Is it progressive scan?
((No progressive scan is progresive scan))

Which is better for a film-like look, 25p or cinemode?
((Both combined... Cinemode is the gamma configuration, the 25p is the frame capture mode. Combine the two and u can get som epretty incredible looks.. ))

3-Is 1/25 shutter speed suitable for 25p recording? (apart from the lighting conditions)

((For speeches and slow moviing footage yes, its ok. I use it with dencing as well.. it saves me from having to use gain. Another trick is to adjust your gamma config to high and it will boost the luminance))

Frank Ayala
January 27th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Hello.. New to the group. Quick question. On my Panasonic AG-DVX100p camera I lost my Scene 5 settings. What are the correct/ best settings to get the best quality out of the camera in this mode. I want the film look of course. I'm using 24p, audio is at 48k and shutter speed is at 1/48. Sound right?

Frank

Peter Jefferson
January 31st, 2007, 08:37 AM
go into the scene file and scroll down til u get to the save page.. now select init, and this wil initialise the original setings

Ian Slessor
January 31st, 2007, 06:07 PM
Hey Peter,

Better late than never.

www.dvshop.ca

Great prices AND a 2 year extended warranty for $3800. Great for standard DV & 24p but no natural 16x9.

Mind you there's always the new Canon XH A1 if you're looking for HD video.

That one's over at www.vistek.ca and about $4700 but no extended warranty.

Your call though.

sincerely,

ian

Noah Kadner
February 22nd, 2007, 12:08 PM
Hi folks-

I wanted to mention my new DVD for anyone working with a Panasonic DVX100 and Final Cut Pro. I've been doing tech support and consulting for many years both online and in-person for 24p post-production and finally bottled up all that experience into a training DVD. Here's some highlights of what I cover:

Output for 24p DVD
24pA vs. 24p Standard
Output for 35mm Film
Anamorphic 16:9 Setup
Cinema Tools
Editing System Shopping Lists
Fixing Tape Dropouts
Easy Setups
SDI vs. Firewire Capture

You can order direct from our site here:

http://www.callboxlive.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=28

or find us at Amazon.com and Abel Cine Tech.

Thanks again!
-Noah Kadner

ps- if you order anytime from now until March 31st via Paypal on our site you get a 20% discount with this link:

http://paypal.promotionexpert.com/greatshopping/signup/index.html

Chris Hurd
February 22nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
An instant "sticky." Thanks, Noah!

Matt Hockett
February 28th, 2007, 08:29 AM
This summer, I am going to the country of Zambia, in Africa, to shot a documentary on our high school's impact on a little village there. I have a DVX100B. For all of those who shot documentaries in foreign countries before, what do I need to be planning to bring? I'm afraid that once I get there I will have forgotten something. Can you just shoot me lists of items that are helpful and/or essential.

Thanks!!

Herman Van Deventer
February 28th, 2007, 12:18 PM
1. AFRICA / ZAMBIA = DUST / HUMIDITY / DUST / HUMIDITY !!!!!!!
COMPRESSED AIR / A LOT !!!!! EXSTRA PROTECTION FOR ALL EQUIPMENT
2. AC INVERTOR / CHARGING BATT REMOTE LOC / 230V 150 W.
3. MOSQUITO REPELLANT.
4. FAVOURITE FILTERS.
5. DRESS LIKE THE LOCALS / RASTA OR MANDELA T-SHIRT.
BRIBERY / THEY TARGET TOURISTS AND CREW DRESSED IN TRADITIONAL
JUNGLE SAFARI OUTFITS.
BRIBERY 2. BRING LOTS OF AMERICAN DOLLARS / WORKS BEST / WITH
DOLLARS IN HAND THEY DONT RETURN THAT QUICK.
LAST OPTION / ALCOHOL / THEY KEEP COMING BACK /
FRIENDS FOR LIFE !
DIPLOMATIC OPTION / SHOOT THEM WITH POLAROID AND HAND OUT.

viva ! / Herman van Deventer / Cape Town / S-A.

Dan Reed
March 1st, 2007, 11:57 AM
I shot this with the DVX100, hardware lamps, and a boom mic. How does this look? Any low-budget ideas?

http://films.thelot.com/films/21143

PS- Here are the settings I used:
http://kino-eye.com/2005/02/16/dvx100settings/

Kristjan Kristjansson
March 1st, 2007, 01:30 PM
Hi,
I am planning on buying a mic for my GS400 and I have eyes on the rode videomic. One question I have not been able to find answer to on google is; can I connenct the rode videomic to a computer and record, in for example GarageBand, FCP or Logic?

Robert M Wright
March 1st, 2007, 05:42 PM
You should be able to.

Lisa Shofner
March 19th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Just picked up my DVX on Friday. Used it all day saturday at a shoot. Before I got the DVX, I was using only GL1.

I love everything about the camera except for the zoom.

I notice that it doesn't seem to have much zoom capability at all. That is comparing to my GL1. I've read the manual (twice) and see no settings to increase the zoom. Did I miss something?

I've done a few searches here today, trying to find info about this. I haven't been able to find much about zooms. I've read that there are teleconverters but they don't seem to work very well - is that correct?

Jus trying to figure out what to do about getting some more zoom, sometimes I am unable to get closer to my subject and missed the zoom capability of my GL1 on Saturday.

Ralph Keyser
March 20th, 2007, 12:57 PM
No, you're not missing anything. One of the downsides of this particular camera is its realtively short zoom range. On the plus side, this camera goes somewhat wider on the short end than most, which is a huge help on interiors. If this proves to be a problem for you, then you might be in the market for one of the 3rd party telephoto extenders that are built for this camera.

Stuart Graham
August 20th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Is the audio sync okay in 25P mode on a PAL camcorder or is there still a delay? I noticed in some of my footage that the clapperboard was in sync with the clap sometimes but not others, anyone else found that?

Tom Hardwick
August 21st, 2008, 01:34 AM
Just picked up my DVX on Friday. Used it all day saturday at a shoot. Before I got the DVX, I was using only GL1.

How did you decide what camera to replace the GL1 with Lisa? A quick ask on these pages would have informed you instantly that the DVX has precisely half the zoom range of the GL1, and starting at a much wider angle, is even less suitable for any sort of telephoto filming.

Sounds like you should have gone for an XH-A1 or a V1. You'd have got back that zoom and had 16:9 hi-def thrown in too. You can buy telephoto converters but you'll pay the price - in dollars, weight, bulk and loss of overall zoom range.

tom.

tom.