View Full Version : SxS in field Offload

Chris Forbes
November 14th, 2007, 04:40 PM
One of these Hitch USB Transfer Device

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=30582110&source=EWBBASE&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=30582110

Plus one of these Kanguru FlashBlu Max USB flash drive - 32 GB

http://shopper.cnet.com/usb-flash-drives/kanguru-flashblu-max-usb/4014-3240_9-32338789.html?tag=srch_3_1

Plus the Sony USB Drive for SxS

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/526430-REG/Sony_SBAC_US10_SBAC_US10_SxS_Memory_Card.html

equals not only in the field offloading but "wearable" offloading if the Card reader can go bus powered.

It would give you storage at half the price.

Sami Sanpakkila
November 14th, 2007, 05:11 PM
If this would work you can get a 160 GB Ipod for $349.00, thats a lot of storage space.

Sami

Chris Forbes
November 14th, 2007, 06:21 PM
700 min of HQ video minus what ever space you lose for formating the Ipod.

How cool would it be if you could watch your quicktime proxy files on an Ipod.

The only reason I was going with the flash drive is because the entire setup would be shock proof.

Alex Leith
November 15th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I think whether this will work depends on whether the Sony card reader presents the card as a storage device, or whether you still need to install the SxS drivers.

The Hitachi Sima supports PTP and Mass Storage - both of which the iPod supports directly via the iPod camera adaptor cable - but the iPod only recognizes files stored within the DCIM folder, and will only transfer (non-photo) files via PTP...

So, in order for this to work (either with the Sima or without) the Sony Card reader is going to have to support the PTP transfer protocol.

Chris Forbes
November 16th, 2007, 04:42 PM
only if you want to do it to an Ipod. There are much cheaper bus powered hard drives out there, and the hitch will power them.

Alex Leith
November 16th, 2007, 04:54 PM
only if you want to do it to an Ipod. There are much cheaper bus powered hard drives out there, and the hitch will power them.

That's cool (and I really hope it works)... but it really depends on whether the Sima recognizes SxS media...

Paul Cook
November 17th, 2007, 03:01 PM
WOW - great find!

Something tells me there will be some catch that means it won’t work BUT...if somehow it does...the EX just became a LOT more interesting.

Id still be paranoid about drive crashes...would probably want to have two storage devices ( and do it twice) just for added piece of mind.

On a side note does anyone find it a bit odd that Sony have released yet another proprietary format for this camera yet on the new HDV models just announced they are supporting recording to normal SD media?

I cant wait for thei cam to ship and get some first hand information and sample footage.

Chris Forbes
November 18th, 2007, 11:19 AM
If It works. It would be possible to back-up twice. looking at benchmark tests from some of the hard drives I was thinking of using, a 16 GB card will off load in about 10 min.

Zsolt Gordos
November 19th, 2007, 01:37 AM
I have this small USB hard drive with 160Gb disk inside. It is powered from the USB, so all I would need is to connect it to this Hitch and have an SxS USB reader for the other side and I will have cca. 10 hours of storage for HQ clips.

Not bad. I hope it will work. Surely I will give this Hitch a try for 50 bucks.

Chris Forbes
November 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM
http://www.okion.com/en-us/scripts/product_info.asp?pid=442

Wesley Alfvin
November 21st, 2007, 10:26 PM
Hey Chris,

I saw on your other thread that you got your camera... will you be testing this out any time soon?

I hope so!

Wes

Chris Forbes
November 21st, 2007, 10:28 PM
I am still waiting on the USB reader for my camera. But as soon as that happens.

Wesley Alfvin
November 21st, 2007, 11:21 PM
I am still waiting on the USB reader for my camera. But as soon as that happens.

Great I can't wait. I really hope that works.

Clark Peters
December 5th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Could you use a Hitch or Okion to download directly from the camera (using the USB cable) to a portable hard drive?

If I understood the Sony information correctly, the SxS card reader is AC powered. Maybe I missed seeing if it had battery power.

I know that downloading directly from the camera using USB would be slower and would keep the camera tied up. This would, however, be a way to increase storage capacity with an absolute minimum of equipment to haul around.

Clark

Steven Thomas
December 5th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I have the Hitch and when I connected it directly to the EX1 via USB,
it did not recognized it. It may work hooked up to the SxS card reader. I'll check it out when I receive mine.

Alex Leith
December 5th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks Steven

Chris Forbes
December 7th, 2007, 12:42 PM
The hitch is a linix based device also, so it may be possible to install the drivers for the SXS.

Also this battery powered USB hub might come in handy. For providing power to larger hard drives.

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/accessories/hubs/cph420mp.html

Chris Forbes
December 31st, 2007, 08:03 PM
Got my Sony USB Card reader. Not only is it Non-Buspowered but the AC adapter is outputting 12v@3A making it useless for anything but desktop offloading.

One unexpected bonus is that the ac adapter will run the camera and is quite a bit more compact than the Charger/Ac Adapter that comes with the camera.

But for 234.00 ? ? ?

Graeme Fullick
December 31st, 2007, 08:19 PM
Chris,

What sort of transfer rate are you getting through USB?

I don't like plugging the camera in as a USB device - so I might have to reluctantly buy one.

Maybe the bus power is not enough to sustain high transfer rates for these cards????

Raymond Schlogel
December 31st, 2007, 08:58 PM
Wow, non-buspowered? Really? Ouch. Real tempted to cancel my order for one, that could be a deal breaker.

- Ray

Chris Forbes
January 1st, 2008, 04:30 PM
I am getting the same through the USB reader as through the camera. I really think this is a limitation of USB. The reason I got the reader is so I could do downloads while i was still shooting. And to save hours on the camera. High hours really hurt the resale value.

Thierry Humeau
January 1st, 2008, 07:07 PM
I think our hopes to see USB-2 transfer speed hit the roof are dimmed. Despite having a raw data rate of 480mbps, it looks like USB-2 can only acheive 40mpbs. Here is an interesting article on USB-2 speed:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
How fast is USB 2.0?

USB 2.0 has a raw data rate at 480Mbps, and it is rated 40 times faster than its predecessor interface, USB 1.1, which tops at 12Mbps. Originally, USB 2.0 was intended to go only as fast as 240Mbps, but in October 1999, USB 2.0 Promoter Group pumped up the speed to 480Mbps.

As far as we know, effective rate reaches at 40MBps or 320Mbps for bulk transfer on a USB 2.0 hard drive with no one else is sharing the bus. Flash Drives seem to be catching up too with the some hitting 30MB/s milestone. For all we know, USB interface could become become the bottleneck for flash drives as early as 2008.
Additional notes from Alex Esquenet - our engineer friend based in Belgium: "A fast usb host can achieve 40 MBytes/sec. The theorical 60 MB/sec cannot be achieved, because of the margin taken between the sof's (125 us), so if a packet cannot take place before the sof, the packet will be rescheduled after the next sof. On top of that, all the USB transactions are handled by software on the PC. For instance, a USB host on a PCI bus will send or receive the data via the PCI bus; the stack will prepare the next data in memory and receive interrupt from the host."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bernard Racelis
January 1st, 2008, 10:30 PM
... 40MBps or 320Mbps for bulk transfer on a USB 2.0 hard drive ...

I interpret this as 40 megabytes/sec = 320 megabits/sec (1 byte = 8 bits), which is still fast (potentially), considering that the EX1 records HQ video at 35 megabits/sec.

Andrew Wilson
January 2nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
How does the USB reader work if a shot spans across two cards?

I assume that if you plug the camera into the computer then it offloads all the shots regardless if it spans 2 cards.

Also, has anyone tried to offload a continuous shot that spans 3 cards? How would you do that? Does anyone even own 3 cards yet???

Bernard Racelis
January 2nd, 2008, 09:01 AM
I haven't shot a clip yet which spans across cards, but from reading the EX Browser guide, you copy the files from separate cards (2 or more, I assume) into a single location in the hard drive.

It also mentions that the software uses a "Clip ID" in the files, not the filenames. I would think that the separate files from the same clip will have the same ID, and the software uses this ID to link the files together into one clip.

Bernard Racelis
January 2nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
I've just tested the above and these are the steps on how I combined the files from 2 cards together:

(1) Create a folder in the hard drive (example D:\video\test1)

(2) Using the EX Clip Browser, copy the clip from one card by dragging it from the SxS card to the folder on the hard drive (D:\video\test1)
This creates the XDCAM "BPAV" directory structure within the folder (D:\video\test1\BPAV) and then copies the clip.

(3) Copy the other file from the same video from another card by dragging it into the same folder.

(4) The result is you have multiple clips (folders) in the BPAV/CLPR folder:

D:\video\test1\BPAV>dir CLPR

Directory of D:\video\test1\BPAV\CLPR

01/02/2008 09:49 PM <DIR> .
01/02/2008 09:49 PM <DIR> ..
01/02/2008 09:49 PM <DIR> 083_0424_01
01/02/2008 09:48 PM <DIR> 083_0424_02

And there is another folder within the BPAV/TAKR directory which links the two clips together.

D:\video\test1\BPAV>dir TAKR

Directory of D:\video\test1\BPAV\TAKR

01/02/2008 09:49 PM <DIR> .
01/02/2008 09:49 PM <DIR> ..
01/02/2008 09:48 PM <DIR> 083_0424

And it appears as one clip in the EX Clip Browser.

(5) When you export/convert to an MXF, the files are combined into one MXF file.