View Full Version : P2 vs. Compact Flash: what are the differences?

Bill Edmunds
November 21st, 2007, 08:48 AM
I see now that Sony is developing some cameras that use compact flash recording abilities. What are the chief differences in performance, durability, etc between P2 and CF?

Bob Woodhead
November 21st, 2007, 10:58 AM
My non-scientific reply is "the same but different". I think it's just another way to skin the cat, still semi-proprietary (read, not "commodity" memory), slightly cheaper at this point. I wouldn't base my decision on these two approaches to data storage.

David Heath
November 21st, 2007, 02:24 PM
My non-scientific reply is "the same but different". .........slightly cheaper at this point.
"Slightly cheaper"!? I think that's a bit of an understatement! Or are you confusing Compact Flash with SxS?

I can get a 16GB Compact Flash card for under £150 - a 16GB P2 card is nearer £600! (UK prices.)

That said, the performances are very different as well. A P2 card is rated at 640 Mbs (80MBs) against 160 Mbs (20MBs) for the card I referred to - though both are more than fast enough to record a 100Mbs stream as used by DVCProHD etc. (Infinity uses CF and records 100Mbs JPEG2000 to such a card very well, apparently.)

A potential advantage to CF is that it comes in a variety of speeds/prices - pay more money, get better performance - whereas with P2 you HAVE to pay top money (and get top performance), even if the lower cost/performance option may be more suitable. (It's on this subject that there is a debate around SxS - will there be cheaper/slower cards for the EX?)

As example, the CF cards needed by Red need higher performance than the one I referred to, and are therefore higher priced. (Though still cheaper than P2, Gigabyte for Gigabyte.)

Bob Woodhead
November 21st, 2007, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I was referring to Sony's SxxS-whatever flash media.

Doug Cummings
November 23rd, 2007, 06:24 PM
Anybody ever try plugging a "fast" CF into a CompactFlash PC Card Adapter into the HVX?

Bennis Hahn
November 23rd, 2007, 06:58 PM
P2 is not just memory. There are RAID controllers in the cards as well as four zero-defect SD cards. Simply plugging in memory that fits the form factor (CF card in an adapter) will not work.