View Full Version : Mics for the HVX

Mark Donnell
November 22nd, 2007, 01:28 PM
I have become acutely aware of the drawbacks to recording on-camera audio when I tried to record parts of a friend's wedding with my HVX-200. Any suggestions for plug-in camera-mounted mics for such occasions ?

Curtis Morgan
November 22nd, 2007, 02:28 PM
I would highly recommend the Audio Technica AT4073a. It sounds amazing!

Steve Rosen
November 22nd, 2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah, the AT's a great mic for the money... The Sennheiser 416 is the standard that all other directional mikes are compared against - it's a grand, but, unless you trash it, you'll never need to buy another shotgun microphone... (I have both, by the way, and tend to use the AT on the nose and the Sennheiser on a boom)...

Christian Magnussen
November 22nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
I have good experience with the Rode NTG2(ntg1 is the same but only phantom power), good value.

TingSern Wong
November 23rd, 2007, 01:05 AM
I use Sanken CMS10 stereo shortgun mic on my HVX202. It is utterly fantastic.

Noel Evans
November 24th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I use Sanken CMS10 stereo shortgun mic on my HVX202. It is utterly fantastic.

ill go as far as Sanken with you, but for his purpose, stereo shotgun is extra money wasted IMO. A cheaper mic that has Industry acceptance is the Sanken CS3e, but even so I am going to back the AT for a cam mounted wedding shotgun for its wider pickup pattern. Cheaper again.

TingSern Wong
November 24th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I do use my Sennheiser MKH50 as well. On the camera nose, I mount Sanken CMS10 - that effectively replaces the "lousy" Panasonic builtin mic - but, on booms, tripods, etc - I use my MKH50 (sometimes as a pair in concert halls) and MKH70 for the long reach.

Dick Campbell
November 26th, 2007, 08:39 AM
for the ceremony, you need wireless - lav on the officiant and lav on the groom. this will be adequate to also pick up the bride (never mic the bride). if the venue has a sound system, use that and plug in, also good if there are other other vocalists, then you can mic them through the sound board.

for the reception, a camera mounted shotgun is best, one with good background rejection. as mentioned, stereo is not important. I use an ME66.

Mark Donnell
November 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks everyone - I really appreciate the advice !