View Full Version : Trouble burning DVD on PowerMac G5

Michel Huppe
November 29th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I will open with an apology if this thread belongs somewhere else...

I am having a problem burning a DVD... I have burned hundreds of discs and never had this problem. Here it is...

I pop in the disc, transfer the files, hit burn and an error message pops up that reads:

"an error occurred while burning the disc. This disc cannot be used."

I am using the same media that I have always used (Sony DVD-R, and Sony DVD+R). I have attempted to burn using an external drive that I have used in the past, and the same problem persists. I even attempted to burn a CD with music to check the problem, and the same error message pops up.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I have a fairly large sum of money tied into producing a show that has a hard deadline coming right up. Thanks in advance...

Boyd Ostroff
November 30th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Hi Michel and welcome to DVinfo. Our Mac forum is the best place to get help with this so I've moved your post there. I have a dual G5 and haven't ever seen a problem like that. The only thing that crosses my mind would be to check that there is plenty of free space on you startup drive. I think the software may need to create an image on the hard drive and would therefore need around 5GB of free space.

Since you're having the same problem with two different drives, that would imply that the fault is somewhere other than the media or drive itself. But have you tried using a different brand of disk just in case?

Michel Huppe
December 1st, 2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the re-direct, Boyd. I'll get the hang of it soon... I did try another manufacturer, to no avail.

Michel Huppe
December 13th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Well... The hard drive was going on it. Had it replaced, which caused a whole host of other problems... Long story short, no problems now. If anyone else runs into this problem let me know and I'll get more in depth about some of the pitfalls. Thanks.