View Full Version : I am trying out the SI-2K

Heath McKnight
December 6th, 2007, 09:53 PM
For a music video I'm line producing. Details soon, but it's very cool! Here's a photo I took (re-sized down) of the camera. That's a Nikon lens on it.

Heath

Carl Middleton
December 6th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Nice!

If you need help, I'd make the drive. ;)

C

Jason Rodriguez
December 6th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Hi Heath,

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Jason

Bob Grant
December 7th, 2007, 02:55 AM
For a music video I'm line producing. Details soon, but it's very cool! Here's a photo I took (re-sized down) of the camera. That's a Nikon lens on it.

Heath

Given how long we've been waiting to get our camera if I hadn't seen that photo I wouldn't have believed you!

John DeLuca
December 7th, 2007, 11:14 AM
I have to admit I’m a bit jealous……..We placed our order in April. One thing that’s interesting is the original big handle(I thought they redesigned that). Also, where is the new heatsink that caused the latest delay?

Jason Rodriguez
December 7th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Heath is using the original P+S Technik NAB prototype on loan . . . it even has the original rapid-prototyped resin enclosure (so don't bang it around!).

So no need to be Jealous :)

There's actually been a number of things that have caused the "delay", but they have all combined to create a vast improvement in the quality of the product that we will be unveiling here shortly. The pictures on the website are not up to-date (i.e., stuff has changed from that).

Thanks,

Jason

John DeLuca
December 7th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the heads up Jason. I’m sure the new design will be worth the wait.

Heath, is that an anti-static grounding pad(we use them for building computers)? Very cool. Good luck with your music video!

-John

Heath McKnight
December 7th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I agree, no need to be jealous. This is a great camera, but I know that the guys and gals at SI are constantly striving to make it a better camera.

Not a grounding pad, but the Christmas place mats on my table. It's sitting on there so we don't scratch the table--the camera is hardcore! But we're playing it safe, regardless. Only four sky dives are planned (just kidding). I have a condo, so it's easier to put it on the table since I don't have as much room. We shot a lot of tests of my Christmas tree. (wink)

heath

Bob Grant
December 7th, 2007, 02:33 PM
It's OK Jason, just stirring a little.
I realise how dedicated you are to getting it right out of the box.
We've got the MINI running with a laptop now, quite like that package. Doesn't appease the old school guys who have fixed ideas about what a camera is but I don't have any issues with it, in fact I can see a number of advantages to it.

Bhaskar Dhungana
December 7th, 2007, 10:19 PM
We have been using both the Mini with Macbook Pro and recently the SI-2k. In most of the cases our camera person chooses to go with the Mini + Macbook instead of the full camera version. Perhaps, its because he is used to the setup as he has been working with it for a long time, or they may be something quite easy about that setup. Haven't quite figured it out. For steadycam, and moving shots the DVR is a must.

Heath McKnight
December 9th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Day (night) 1: It worked awesome, and though I was busy working as a producer and cracking skulls (the bar closed 3 hours AFTER we were told they would, oh well), but I looked at some footage and was very pleased with the film-like image we were getting.

We barely had to diffuse the lights, because the camera handled highlights very well. In video, we've always had to heavily diffuse the lights. We used a lot of Kinos, which are always excellent. Outside, at night, we used some massive lights, and the camera handled it well.

Heath

Heath McKnight
December 9th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Here's a still, with some prelim color correction. It's down-converted, too, to 960 x 540.

Heath

Jason Rodriguez
December 9th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Hi Heath,

Very nice images you're getting!

Looking forward to seeing any other images or videos you can post, and I'm glad to see you're liking the experience.

Again, if you have any questions or concerns, feel free ask :)

Thanks,

Jason

Heath McKnight
December 9th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Absolutely. We're shooting on the beach tomorrow morning (sunrise), so it should be great! Thanks, Jason!

Heath

Bob Grant
December 10th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Here's a still, with some prelim color correction. It's down-converted, too, to 960 x 540.

Heath

I'm probably going to seem stupid asking this.

What's causing the glow around the highlights?
I've seen the same thing in my tests, is it the optics or the sensor. Is there anyway to prevent it, apart from the obvious one of changing the lighting.

Bob Hart
December 10th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Promist? the signature of 35mm groundglass relay? Nikon 55mm f1.2 opened wide shot through the centre (not Noct Nikkor)? or imager artifact?

Jason Rodriguez
December 10th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Definitely NOT an imager artifact or due to the optics in the camera itself (i.e., sensor glass and OLPF). I think there are enough samples up on our website to show that the camera is well capable of not causing glowing halos around highlights. And if it did, I'm sure you'd hear plenty of complaints from those who don't want all their footage looking like something shot through a ProMist.

Heath McKnight
December 10th, 2007, 07:44 PM
The diffused look is the DP's choice, done in color correction. NOT from the camera.

heath

Bob Grant
December 10th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys,
I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with the camera but I've been trying to evaluate lenses, my ability to set exposure, light and the camera and in one test with highly reflective surfaces and harsh lighting I had a slightly similar effect but no where near as extreme.
From what Bob Hart has said this can be a characteristic of some lenses, so there's something I've learned!

Heath McKnight
December 10th, 2007, 09:08 PM
It's all from the color correction, though I'll ask our DP. We used Nikkor (Nikon) lenses.

heath

Bhaskar Dhungana
December 10th, 2007, 09:27 PM
If you open the lens full wide, then image does seem to blur around the hightlights with the wide lens that we are using (Optar Illumina). Generally we don't go over 2, which means we have to add lights.

The inexpensive Fujinon lens that SI sells did not have this problem as much, but the image is not as appealing as the cinema lens.

John DeLuca
December 10th, 2007, 09:52 PM

Heath

WOW! Now that is film like. Great job by the DP.

-John

Heath McKnight
December 10th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I'll pass on the compliment.

I'm exhausted from the shoot, but I'll post some behind-the-scenes photos soon.

Heath

Heath McKnight
December 10th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Behind-the-scenes photos--yes, we went handheld. And yes, all R&B videos have dancing girls in them.

Heath

Bob Grant
December 11th, 2007, 01:34 AM
If you open the lens full wide, then image does seem to blur around the hightlights with the wide lens that we are using (Optar Illumina). Generally we don't go over 2, which means we have to add lights.

The inexpensive Fujinon lens that SI sells did not have this problem as much, but the image is not as appealing as the cinema lens.

Thank you,
it was with the iris wide open. Adding more light and going to T4 changed it a lot.

Jim Montgomery
December 11th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Hearh

A little off topic. Is that the Indie Dolly I see in photo with girls? If so how do you like it?

Jim

Heath McKnight
December 11th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Jim,

It's a doorway dolly, and I've been working with those for a while. On this shoot, I was only the Line Producer. On my feature last year, we used a doorway dolly a couple of times.

Heath

Heath McKnight
December 11th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I talked to Matt; one of the lenses had a teeny tiny scratch, but due to the resolution, it was visible. He closed the iris a little to "hide" it.

Heath

David Newman
December 28th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Heath,

Very nice article
http://audiovideoproducer.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=263416-0

Jason Rodriguez
December 31st, 2007, 10:12 AM
BTW, quick apologies Heath, I've been on Christmas/New Years vacation, so I haven't had access to the SI website to-do any updates. I'll be posting a link to your article on the RSS feed and on the front news-page tonight.

Thanks,

Jason