View Full Version : EX1 Night scenery

Mooho Bae
December 7th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Please enjoy my night scenery shots of the Han River in Seoul, Korea.

http://www.moohobae.com/mine/20071206_720P-1.wmv

Steven Thomas
December 7th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Thanks Mooho.
Looks great. clean blacks.
Was your gain set, at 0dB?

Mooho Bae
December 7th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Yes, gain=0dB, shutter=off(1/24 sec).

Brad Vaughan
December 7th, 2007, 09:05 AM
That is magical!

What a beautiful little piece. This one will stay on my Hard Drive!

Fantastic work Mooho. I'm very impressed.

Sean Seah
December 7th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Very impressive! Looks pretty sharp. I supposed 1/24 means progressive in 1920x1080 24P? And was that rendered from Vegas Pro 8 or Premire?

Carlo Sigismondi
December 7th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Maybe it's my monitor or my old graphic card, but I've noticed a vertical line at the left side of the picture's frame (1/3 of the frame). It's solid and ever present during all the clip. It's only when I play the clip via Windows Media player, but it seems disappering with VIDEOLAN player...I've extract some png via videolan...and they appear more dark than wmv, so I can't notice the vertical line in the stills...
Edit :
It's sort of "rectangular" area more bright than the rest of the frame... like this :

|more bright| rest of |the frame|
|-----------|-------|----------|
|-----1-----|---2---|----3----|

Curious if anyone else has noticed this...

Raymond Schlogel
December 7th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Carlo, not seeing what you're seeing here.

Great work Mooho!

- Ray

Mooho Bae
December 7th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Very impressive! Looks pretty sharp. I supposed 1/24 means progressive in 1920x1080 24P? And was that rendered from Vegas Pro 8 or Premire?

Yes to both, Sean, thanks.

Christopher Barry
December 7th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Mooho, the source footage must be impressive?

Considering you have re-encoded to WMV, the footage looks good. Thanks for sharing.

Edit:

1. I forgot to ask Mooho, any chance of posting a few uncompressed tiff files from various parts of the source (if recorded in HQ mode)?

2. shoot in 1080 SP or HQ mode?

Thanks.

Ray Bell
December 10th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Is there a possibility you could post the raw footage... when I play the files you posted on a large screen I see lots of noise in the black area's....

would like to test out the raw footage over to bluray to playout on a bigscreen....

thanks

Steven Thomas
December 10th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Strange. It sure appears to have less noise than a lot of other cameras I've seen under these same conditions.

But, don't expect magic. There will be some noise. I doubt the noise will be to different from the original file. I have found that using Cine3 setting on the camera and then adjusting to compensate with the black level, it seems to lower noise levels. Though, It does this at the expense of overall level, but looks natural.

All I can say is I'm blown away how clean the image is on this camera.
It looks great with natural light, but when you add, or drop this camera into a studio lighting setup, the images are just jaw dropping.

Mooho Bae
December 10th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks guys for valuable replies. Steven, I totally agree with you.

Here is a short source clip (gamma=default)
http://www.moohobae.com/test/BAE_0290_01.MP4

Paul Henley
December 10th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Ah Seoul Tower. I live in the Yongsan/Itaewon area. The tower overlooks my apartment.

Nice footage of Seoul/Han River at night.

Ray Bell
December 10th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Woops, I didn't use the correct terminology....

The footage looks great with very little if any noise...

I think I am seeing " mosquitoing " or " micro-blocking "....

Thanks for the source, I'll check it out tonight after work...

Ray Bell
December 10th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the raw footage Mooho....

I brought the footage into Premiere Pro CS3 with the same preset as the footage and just output it to a memory stick ....then played back on a big screen...

The area I'm looking at is on the left of the screen just above the buildings...
the lights are causing some type of motion noise....

after I checked to make sure the issue was still there (and it was) I put the footage thru Neat Video and tweaked the footage.... it cleaned up very well...

Thanks again....

I'd post the footage but don't have the means...

Paul Chiu
January 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
mooho,

what's the title of this beautiful music?

the "black level" of your video is so good i have my pmw-ex1 on order.

thanks,

paul

Please enjoy my night scenery shots of the Han River in Seoul, Korea.

http://www.moohobae.com/mine/20071206_720P-1.wmv

Michael Stewart
January 7th, 2008, 09:11 PM
How do you get the raw footage to work in CS3?

Mike

Mooho Bae
January 8th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Oh, I must correct my previous answer to Sean. Sorry. Yes, It was 1920*1080 24P (HQ mode), and It was rendered from Vegas 8.

But Now I use Premiere Pro 2.0 with NeoHD. Maybe It's an answer to Mike.

Paul, Sorry for delayed answer. The music is from the soundtrack of the movie 'Dear Hunter'.

One other thing I want to say to you is that these clips were shot before fixing the backfocus problem. You can clealy see the backfocus problem in the third clip from the end. This problem is now completely fixed.

Thanks, Guys.

Paul Chiu
January 8th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks mooho for th esoundtrack info....

back to workflow on pmw-ex1:

1. can the raw footage from the pmw-ex1 be copied directly off the card onto a pc or mac? in that case, is the i/o throughput as fast as a hard drive transfer or even faster? HDV in the past is horribly slow in "capturing" over to computer...

2. once this raw footage is on a pc or mac, can you play this in 1920x1080p with programs like VLC, quicktime or powerdvd?

(i bought a canon hg10 hard disk hd camcorder to use for christmas as i could not find any stock in the us for the pmw-ex1 and the raw footage off the canon can only be played with nero showtime off the nero ultra 8 edition.

while the direct HDMI connected video from the canon hg10 to a large (>47" HDTV) looks great, the computer playback of the offloaded raw footage does not.

how is this with the sony pmw-ex1?

thanks again.

paul

nyc

Oh, I must correct my previous answer to you. Yes, It was 1920*1080 24P (HQ mode), and It was rendered from Vegas 8.

But Now I use Premiere Pro 2.0 with NeoHD. Maybe It's an answer to Mike.

Paul, Sorry for delayed answer. The music is from the soundtrack of the movie 'Dear Hunter'.

One other ting I want to say to you is that these clips were shot before fixing the backfocus problem. You can clealy see the backfocus problem in the third clip from the end. This problem is now completely fixed.

Thanks, Guys.

Mooho Bae
January 8th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks mooho for th esoundtrack info....

back to workflow on pmw-ex1:

1. can the raw footage from the pmw-ex1 be copied directly off the card onto a pc or mac? in that case, is the i/o throughput as fast as a hard drive transfer or even faster? HDV in the past is horribly slow in "capturing" over to computer...

2. once this raw footage is on a pc or mac, can you play this in 1920x1080p with programs like VLC, quicktime or powerdvd?

(i bought a canon hg10 hard disk hd camcorder to use for christmas as i could not find any stock in the us for the pmw-ex1 and the raw footage off the canon can only be played with nero showtime off the nero ultra 8 edition.

while the direct HDMI connected video from the canon hg10 to a large (>47" HDTV) looks great, the computer playback of the offloaded raw footage does not.

how is this with the sony pmw-ex1?

thanks again.

paul

nyc

My answers:
1. Yes you can. I just use the USB connection, and I feel 3 times faster than the playing time(for 35Mbps HQ mode).

2. Yes. I used VLC and the clip browser(bundle software). I feel no significant differnces of playing clips between HDTV and computer monitor (even with the Canon HV20). Maybe I guess it's something related to the monitor settings?? Or, almost every HDTV does sharpen, but PC monitor does not..I'm not sure.. I don't know... Anyway, My EX1 Raw footage looks nice and clean on my PC monitor too. Thanks.

Paul Chiu
January 8th, 2008, 11:03 AM
woow mooho,

that is good news to hear the direct pmw-ex1's hdmi to hdtv result is the same as the offloaded raw footage to computer result.

i did not get this with canon hg10 as of yet. maybe it is that "sharpening" by hdtv you stated....

as for canon hv20....
i heard great things about that but i needed something to take recitals that can last over an hour and changing those hdv tapes during the event is not fun...

this is footage off my 3 year old sony hc1 and more recent hc3.
while my canon hg10 is already better. i look forward to my pmw-ex1 beong WAY better....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7212982509251673307&total=57&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=8

My answers:
1. Yes you can. I just use the USB connection, and I feel 3 times faster than the playing time(for 35Mbps HQ mode).

2. Yes. I used VLC and the clip browser(bundle software). I feel no significant differnces of playing clips between HDTV and computer monitor (even with the Canon HV20). Maybe I guess it's something related to the monitor settings?? Or, almost every HDTV does sharpen, but PC monitor does not..I'm not sure.. I don't know... Anyway, My EX1 Raw footage looks nice and clean on my PC monitor too. Thanks.