View Full Version : Lens protection for EX1

Craig Seeman
December 8th, 2007, 08:25 AM
I'm wondering what people who have/will buy the EX1 are using to protect the lens. While there are many "clear glass" filters on the market are any better than any other? While I want to protect the lens I'm concerned about degrading the image with cheap glass.

I was thinking of getting Formatt or Tiffen but I've no way of knowing how much, if any, impact they have on the lens.

Eric Pascarelli
December 8th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I would never put anything in front of lens except if a particular setup posed extreme danger to the front element, such as an explosion, chemical splash etc. I think this is especially true given the resolution of the EX1.

Dust and internal reflections are a risk. And the front lens element is tougher than you might think, and cleans up nicely.

That said, the best quality is an optical flat from a well known manufacturer such as Tiffen or Schneider mounted in a filter stage or taped in front of the lens. I use those routinely on hazardous shoots. When shooting subjects with hot sources in frame (such as a fire) you can angle the filter to reduce internal reflections.

I noticed that Formatt makes a screw thread optical flat but I have never tried those. I am sure it would be fine, as long as you consider the downsides above.

Steven Thomas
December 8th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Good ideas from Eric.

Craig, it would be an interesting to buy one of these clear glass filters and shoot some comparison tests.

Possibly looking for the affects of flare/unformity, color balance,CA, resolution, and geometry.

If there are no notable issues, then it would be safe to leave it in and not worry.
If you go through this great extent, let us know so I can buy one. ;)

Craig Seeman
December 8th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Steven, this is why I'm concerned about the quality of the glass. I'm not sure all clear glass are equal. In other words an inferior piece of glass may well show issues or at least more issues than a good one.

Steven Thomas
December 8th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Craig, I hear you.
Hopefully someone may be able to point us to a high quality solution that will fit the EX1.

Paul Cronin
December 9th, 2007, 10:19 AM
After trying all the brands on my Canon A1 I am now using B+W UV double coated with excellent results. It comes in 77 mm. I have one coming with my EX1. The 4mm brass ring with front threads retail is $79

Ryan Avery
December 10th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I'm wondering what people who have/will buy the EX1 are using to protect the lens. While there are many "clear glass" filters on the market are any better than any other? While I want to protect the lens I'm concerned about degrading the image with cheap glass.

I was thinking of getting Formatt or Tiffen but I've no way of knowing how much, if any, impact they have on the lens.

FYI, Schneider produces B+W clear UV filters that are the leader in quality. We manufacture our filters from the highest quality water white Schott glass. Our standard filters are coated 5 times on each side in order to reduce the incidence of chromatic abberation and reflections that cause flare. Our MRC (Multi-Resistant-Coating) filters are coated 8 times on both sides and feature a hard coating that is resistant to water and dust.

B+W filters come with a 10 year warranty from authorized US dealers. Please be careful to ask your dealer if they are an authorized US dealer for B+W products with Schneider Optics. To remove any doubt, you can purchase from DVInfo sponsor Abel Cine Tech. To check if your favorite dealer is authorized, check our website below. Search under 'Filters for Still Photography'.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/dealers/dealers.htm

Here is a link to the filter you should buy for you PMW-EX1:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=681&IID=5714

Thanks,
Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Craig Seeman
December 21st, 2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks Ryan.

I tried Both DV info sponsors in NYC, Abel and B&H and neither had the filter (and also tried my VAR and they didn't have it either). They've been selling the Tiffen so I think you should have someone take care of their stock situation ASAP.

FYI, Schneider produces B+W clear UV filters that are the leader in quality. We manufacture our filters from the highest quality water white Schott glass. Our standard filters are coated 5 times on each side in order to reduce the incidence of chromatic abberation and reflections that cause flare. Our MRC (Multi-Resistant-Coating) filters are coated 8 times on both sides and feature a hard coating that is resistant to water and dust.

B+W filters come with a 10 year warranty from authorized US dealers. Please be careful to ask your dealer if they are an authorized US dealer for B+W products with Schneider Optics. To remove any doubt, you can purchase from DVInfo sponsor Abel Cine Tech. To check if your favorite dealer is authorized, check our website below. Search under 'Filters for Still Photography'.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/dealers/dealers.htm

Here is a link to the filter you should buy for you PMW-EX1:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=681&IID=5714

Thanks,
Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Craig Seeman
December 21st, 2007, 09:14 AM
Given the above and an immediate need I purchased a Tiffen TI-77CLR. The filter itself fit but once the filter was on I was no longer able to put the lens hood on. Both I and a friend tried just in case it was just me be fumble fingered.

It seems the metal ring of the filter offsets far enough to prevent the slots from the lens hood grabbing its mount.

I removed the filter and had no problem mounting the hood. I've done this with other cameras (PD-170 for example) without issue.

I'd hate to keep buying and trying. I'd really want the Schneider/B&W glass but I don't want to wait for that and find the same issue.

Maybe someone can tell me otherwise. Has anybody bought a clear glass that worked (or found it didnt' work)?

Brian Cassar
December 21st, 2007, 12:49 PM
I bought a Formatt HD UV filter and like Craig, I was unable to fit in the hood. The width of the metal casing of the ring needs to be quite thin. Did anyone find a filter that accepts the hood as well?

Keith Rollinson
December 21st, 2007, 02:05 PM
My Hoya 77mm UV works just fine w/ lens hood. Just got in a Hoya Clear, but have yet to try.

Keith

Paul Cronin
December 21st, 2007, 02:48 PM
I ordered the 77E CLEAR MRC (007M) you can find them in stock but it is a search. I can not post the name since they are not a sponsor. I use the same on my Canon A1 it is very thin and I am sure it will work with the Sony hood. The Z1 had a similar problem with Tiffen thick filters besides the B+W is a much better filter.

Rob Collins
December 21st, 2007, 04:17 PM
Just got my EX1 today and was looking for one. Is the consensus really not to use any protector filter unless in hazardous shooting conditions?

Paul Cronin
December 21st, 2007, 04:29 PM
Rob this is not a filter it is clear glass with coating so it won't scratch.

Just found out my camera was shipped yesterday with everything but the two 60 batteries which are back ordered.

Graeme Fullick
December 21st, 2007, 05:10 PM
I am using a Hoya Pro 1 Digital in my EX1. It fits easily under the hood with some to spare as it is very low profile. It is also 12X multicoated - so a very good filter.

I also have a Hoya Pro 1 Digital Circular polariser - which also easly fits under the lens hood if anyone is interested in a Circular polariser that doesn't require a matte box (I use the Century 4x4 polariser in the matte box).

The other obvious advantage of these low profile filters is that they do not vignette on ultra wide lenses.

Sorry to disagree with the other guys, but I don't go anywhere without lens protection. The very slight (if any) loss associated with a very high quality filter is worth it in reducing my blood pressure - especially as I do a lot of travel work and things often pop into the lens.

Eric Pascarelli
December 21st, 2007, 05:53 PM
The old cinematographer's rule is not to put anything in front of the lens that doesn't contribute to forming the image.

But these artistic/technical ideals are always balanced by commercial realities. Even on the most expensive productions there is a threshold of danger where a choice is made to protect the lens at the expense of image quality.

The question is, where is your threshold?

Mine is fairly high - I rarely protect my lens with a piece of glass. To me, avoiding the potential for flaring and dust, and worse yet, dusty flaring, is worth risking the front element of my lens for.

I have also found that the front elements of professional lenses are pretty tough - they don't scratch or break easily and they clean up well. When's the last time you had to replace the filter in front of your lens because it got damaged? Probably never. Filters are no tougher than the lens itself.

Some people are afraid to clean their lenses ever, opting to seal them behind a sheet of glass when they are brand new. That's being overly cautious in my opinion. Pro lenses are designed to be cleaned many times a day, as long as the proper tools are used.

Allan Black
December 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM
I use protective glass, helps my blood pressure too :)

Years ago there was an issue with filter thread pitch, think I recall that Europe was .05 and Japan .075. I had a B+W UV that used to just fall off my Japanese GS400. The dealer here changed it over.

My new HOYA Moose CP and B+W MRC UV fit my A1 without problems. I first had the thin B+W UV but the rim is not wide enough to hold the A1 lens cap. The obliging dealer changed that over too.

My HOYA Tobacco grad actually says 0.75 on its case.

Fitting a screw threaded filter, I always very carefully turn it anti-clockwise till I hear, or feel it click. Then carefully screw it on clockwise, and not tight.

Ryan might give us the latest info on filter thread pitch?
Cheers.

Rob Collins
December 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM
So if one wants to control blood pressure by keeping glass in front if the lens, what is the best choice? Is there any drawback to a UV/Haze filter such as this one rather than just clear glass?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/132978-REG/B_W_66026942_77mm_UV_Haze_010.html

Paul Cronin
December 22nd, 2007, 09:07 AM
I have to replace the front glass on my camera about every three months. It is the only thing exposed on my camera while shooting on the water and gets salt water on it so needs cleaning all the time. We use fresh water with clean cloths but over time it gets cloudy. It would be a mistake to let the lens take this abuse. So for extreme cases protect.

Craig Seeman
December 22nd, 2007, 09:31 AM
As someone who shoots outside in NYC, there's way too much that can get thrown at a lens. Yes a piece of protective glass can impact the image. When you can SEE the impact is when you need to decide whether you should take it off. I'd start with it on though for my shooting circumstances.

Can someone confirm that the Hoya or Schneider/B&W Clear glass works with the lens hood?

I guess we can say it's been confirmed that Tiffen and Formatt doesn't.

I'm kinda surprised that the two DVInfo sponsors in NYC don't have glass that works in stock that works with the lens hood (assuming Hoya, B&W or another does). Both dealers (and my own non sponsor) will order one for me or I could order online but I'm not going to order anything unless I can confirm it works with the lens hood.

I do hope AbelCine and B&H look at this. I believe they're both recommending Tiffen at the moment and that's how I discovered first hand Tiffen doesn't work.

Rob Collins
December 22nd, 2007, 09:54 AM
Mine came from Abel (who were great by the way), and they did suggest the Tiffen, which I'm now returning. I brought the issue to their attention.

Is it better to get clear glass than UV/Haze for regular use?

Craig Seeman
December 22nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
I bought from Abel and returned the Tiffen yesterday. I guess if they get enough returns they'll test something else.

My thought is that since Abel has an EX1 set up, you can buy a clear glass, test on their set up, return immediately if you can't screw on the lens hood. They don't have Schneider B&W in stock. I mentioned Hoya when I was there yesterday and they didn't offer it so my guess is they don't have that in stock either.

Mine came from Abel (who were great by the way), and they did suggest the Tiffen, which I'm now returning. I brought the issue to their attention.

Is it better to get clear glass than UV/Haze for regular use?

Graeme Fullick
December 22nd, 2007, 02:37 PM
Craig,

Just confirming that I am currently using HOYA Pro 1 Digital low profile - it is sitting on my camera right next to me - but you need to get the Pro 1 as the standard Hoya's are not low profile.

Hoya suggest clear glass for any digital imaging as the UV filter makes little or no difference here. I bought the UV as it was actually cheaper than clear glass.

Paul Cronin
December 22nd, 2007, 02:42 PM
Camera arrived and it came with the B+W UV 65-070156 and the filter fits fine with some room to spare. The clear B+W 66-1001705 is on the way.

Craig Seeman
December 22nd, 2007, 02:58 PM
Paul, let me know about the clear B+W 66-1001705. I really need something that works ASAP.

I'd love to get it in NYC and I'd dearly wish the DVInfo sponsors in NYC carried it in stock but they don't. If I order I do not want to wait a week to get it. I'd get the Hoya as an alternative but neither NYC DVInfo sponsor has that either.

Paul Cronin
December 22nd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Craig I was told they are the same size just that one is UV and one is clear glass. But yes I will let people know when it arrives how it fits.

Rob Collins
December 22nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
I just ordered it too. What's the rule about mentioning non-sponsors when none of the sponsors carry the item?

Craig Seeman
December 22nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
If Chris won't allow the post, send me a message in my profile.

I'd buy from a DVInfo sponsor but they have to have something in stock for me to buy it from them. Ryan from Schneider even point to a DVInfo sponsor but they don't have it.

Rob Collins
December 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
I'm all about B&H and Abel--they have lots of my money! But they don't have this filter, so I ordered from Adorama.

Craig Seeman
December 22nd, 2007, 03:53 PM
I can get to Adorama in 20 minutes by public transportation. I wonder if they have it in the store.

I'll post the link for those looking to order. It's the same Manufacture's Part number Ryan from Schneider Optics linked to.
http://www.adorama.com/BW77CM.html

I apologize in advance to Chris if we're breaking protocol but the choice for some of us is between supporting Schneider (Ryan) who graciously posted here or limiting discussion to DVInfo Sponsors who don't seem to carry something many of us are looking for.

I'm all about B&H and Abel--they have lots of my money! But they don't have this filter, so I ordered from Adorama.

Keith Rollinson
December 22nd, 2007, 04:51 PM
also to confirm w/ what I've got working or not w/ the lens hood:
- the Hoya 77mm "Both Sides Coated" UV WORKS
- the Hoya 77mm "Pro1 Digital Protector" (clear) WORKS
- the Hoya 77mm "Cir-Polarizing" DOES NOT WORK (too thick a bezel)

Keith

John Hess
December 23rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
I bought a Tiffen clear lens for the EX1 and the lens hood would not fit over it. So I did the unthinkable... I filed down the edges of the filter... and sure enough, the lens hood barely makes it over.

Threads still good too... I attached a 77-72mm stepdown ring (with the hood off of course) and everything is dandy.

Graeme Fullick
December 23rd, 2007, 04:20 PM
Keith,

Hoya Pro 1 Digital Circular polariser does work - its just a little hard to turn. It is much lower profile than the other Hoyas - which as you said will not fit.

Craig Seeman
December 23rd, 2007, 04:44 PM
Just got the B+W 66-1001705 Clear Glass from Adorama. Fits Perfectly. No problem at all getting the lens hood on. They also have the Hoya Pro 1 Digital Protector clear in stock.

Keith Rollinson
December 24th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Hi Graeme,

Thanks for that -- I'll try to trade my non Pro1 for a Pro1. Of course, w/ the lens hood attached it makes adjustment of the circular filter a little difficult...

Clark Peters
December 24th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Can you reach inside the hood to adjust a polarizing filter, or do you have to take the hood off?
Pete

Steven Thomas
December 24th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Can you reach inside the hood to adjust a polarizing filter, or do you have to take the hood off?
Pete

You have to take it off, but it comes off quick.

John McCully
January 9th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Can anyone recommend a linear polarizing filter that fits the EX1 without removing the hood other than to adjust. I take it the Tiffen 77MM LOW-LIGHT LINEAR POLARIZER Item Number: 77LLPOL is too fat.

Thanks…

Paul Kellett
January 10th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I found a Hama clear lens,77mm,screws straight on and hood goes back on no problem.

Piotr Wozniacki
February 20th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Just wanted to make sure whether the HOYA PRO1 Super HMC filter (ring 3 mm thick, according to the description on webpage) will fit under the EX1's lens hood.

Can anybody confirm? Thanks.

Magnus Eklof
February 20th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Hi all!
I think this is my first post ever, I´m from the still-photography world where you do not put linear polarizers in front of autofocus lenses,is it different on video cameras?? My EX-1 is due tomorrow, I have 77mm B+W Kasemann circular polarizer for the Hasselblad lenses, would be great if I could use this for the EX-1 as well...

Ryan Avery
February 20th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Hi all!
I think this is my first post ever, I´m from the still-photography world where you do not put linear polarizers in front of autofocus lenses,is it different on video cameras?? My EX-1 is due tomorrow, I have 77mm B+W Kasemann circular polarizer for the Hasselblad lenses, would be great if I could use this for the EX-1 as well...

Magnus,

While you do not need a circular polarizer for virtually all video cameras on the market today, you will be fine using the B+W filter you have on your camera. I have tested them and they fit fine under the hood. Of course it will be more difficult to turn with the hood installed.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Craig Hollenback
February 20th, 2008, 04:06 PM
After trying all the brands on my Canon A1 I am now using B+W UV double coated with excellent results. It comes in 77 mm. I have one coming with my EX1. The 4mm brass ring with front threads retail is $79

I use B+W filters and I have been very happy with the quality....even for our Canon SLR's the B+W filters are much better than Canon's best.
Craig