View Full Version : First shoot, first impressions for HVR-HD1000

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Greg Toope
January 12th, 2008, 11:40 AM
That I couldnt tell you as I do not have an FX7. But the HD1000 seems to use the exact same video insides as the HC7 and A1U. Im hopefully going to take the camera out this Sunday or Monday to do some outdoor shooting with it. So Ill post as soon as I get them. All depends on the weather.

Duane Steiner
January 12th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Do you think the footage from the HD1000 will mix well with the Canon HV20? Also anyone try Impact batteries for it? Any other suggestions for accessories (bag, light etc)?

William Hohauser
January 12th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Thank you very much Greg for your explanations. Your video on the gain, demonstrates the capabilities in this area.

Please Greg, what are the differences in video quality between HD1000 (1 CMOS 1/3) and FX7 (3 CMOS 1/4). Thank you

Daniel

Sorry to dominate the discussion here but I did a four camera shoot with the FX7 last month. The differences are in a noticable improvement in color reproduction and overall image sparkle for the FX7 but that's to be expected from a 3-chip camera. The FX7 also has a much better set of on camera functions as well as the balanced audio inputs. However the HD1000 is good in low-light for an HDV camera, it has a built in should pad and much better weight distribution.

But all said, you can take the two different cameras, shoot wisely, and with a little post color correction get to the point where the average viewer would have no idea that you were using two different types of camera. I succeeded using a JVC HD-100 and the Sony HD1000. The different recording codecs were a bigger problem!

So would I choose a FX7 over a HD1000? If money was flowing freely, yes. Would I pick the single CMOS chip Sony HVR-A1 over the HD1000? Not for the price difference Sony wants. The difficulties with the HD1000 are not enough to warrant purchasing the A1 with it's better on-camera controls. The A1 apparently has a better lens although and balanced audio inputs.

Jaser Stockert
January 12th, 2008, 05:25 PM
glad to hear it is good in low light. =) do you have any sample to show in low light conditions? thanks william!

Daniel Rabranque
January 13th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Greg and William Thank you for your responses.

In France, the HD1000 has a big price : 2100€ (3100 $). In England (on the Internet), the FX7 has a price : 2100€ (the same as HD1000).
In such condition, it is obvious that I choose FX7.

I have reviewed the manual HD1000. It has more than 110 pages, while 10 suffice!
The HD1000, has no function "manuel" except one : the ring. The HD1000 is a camcorder from beginner (= HC7) and not professional. Its only advantage is to be shoulder.

I think the cam shoulder is a good thing. Sony will be released, early 2009, camcorder FX7 shoulder with 3CMOS 1/3 at a price : 3500€.

Daniel

William Hohauser
January 13th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Greg and William Thank you for your responses.

In France, the HD1000 has a big price : 2100€ (3100 $). In England (on the Internet), the FX7 has a price : 2100€ (the same as HD1000).
In such condition, it is obvious that I choose FX7.

I have reviewed the manual HD1000. It has more than 110 pages, while 10 suffice!
The HD1000, has no function "manuel" except one : the ring. The HD1000 is a camcorder from beginner (= HC7) and not professional. Its only advantage is to be shoulder.

I think the cam shoulder is a good thing. Sony will be released, early 2009, camcorder FX7 shoulder with 3CMOS 1/3 at a price : 3500€.

Daniel

All you write is correct. "Professional" is a matter of specifics you need for your work. Quite frankly the image the HD1000 produces would have been considered "professional" 5 years ago. The camera controls are not what I would like (one more lens ring and an exposure button would have been good) but considering the reasonable price, it's fine.

The price in France for this camera is ridiculous. It should be roughly 50% more expensive than the HC7 as it is here in the US ($999 vs. $1599).

Greg Toope
January 13th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Well I did some more shooting with the camera today. Did some shots of the falls/rapids in our area. Thought it would be a good test for the camera. Also tried out the in camera slow motion feature. Sure it's more of a gimmick but at least you can see what its doing.

http://www.vimeo.com/606162

Daniel Rabranque
January 14th, 2008, 08:06 PM
William Thanks for your answers.
Greg, I look and look your tests. Thank you very much. Too bad, I do not understand when you speak, fortunately your clips were sufficiently explicit.

I found the test "Outdoor test at Park in Ottawa, Ontario" had many defects sharpness (lack of depth of field) and other failures which I do not know the name. Does it flashplayer9 (I have the latest version for sure) or HD1000U ?

Is it possible to load the rush original HD "Outdoor test at Park in Ottawa, Ontario" without loss, to see exactly what happens? If yes, how? Thank very much you Greg.

Greg Toope
January 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM
On vimeo it is a condition of the codec that makes the image pixelate ( i think i spelled that correctly ). Also that site doesnt allow for the original file type to be uploaded as it comes back with an error when i try (original is a .mov 1280x720 24p file format). I end up compressing to an m4v format which I use as the upload version. This file type is also used so that people can play the video back via their Xbox360 and or AppleTV.

Sara Jourhmane
January 15th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Does anyone if they work in Tapeless mode together ?

Greg Toope
January 15th, 2008, 05:05 PM
They should have no problem working together. We have one hooked into our HD1000U at work. I havent grabbed the footage but I have recorded to the drive. Seems to work nice.

Andy Salmons
January 16th, 2008, 08:10 AM
completely random, but can anyone confirm that the lens hood is fixed or removable? Thanks

Sara Jourhmane
January 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM
They should have no problem working together. We have one hooked into our HD1000U at work. I havent grabbed the footage but I have recorded to the drive. Seems to work nice.

Thanks so much I was not sure if camcorder would control DR60 or not.

BTW: Hood is removable, with a sort of spring loaded locking knob.

S

Dan Gonzales
January 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I have heard of other peole flipping the screen on other sony cameras and just using that as a the exposure etc. buttons. Will the screen flip out and lock in place for this? Still is a pain but might be the answer for some people.

Duane Steiner
January 22nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
I have never used a camcorder with an eye piece viewfinder (don't know if that is what it is called). Anyone with glasses use the HD1000 yet and if so how is the viewfinder?

Adam Gold
January 23rd, 2008, 02:28 PM
Like most cams, you can adjust the eyepiece to match your glasses' diopter.

Daniel Rabranque
January 26th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Hello,
That's it, I ordered in England, the FX7 to $ 3075 including delivery. I get the next week. Let me give you my first impressions.

I paid the FX7 in England, $ 200 less than the HD1000 in france!

Daniel Rabranque

Maximilian Pinedo
January 27th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I shot my first event last Saturday (a birthday party) and I can report the following:
The HD1000u is not the “retro VHS looking plastic camera” described by critics. It feels hefty and is made of high impact ABS plastic. Following the tradition of Sony it has a very appealing look. Since shoulder mount was a definite necessity for my business it has proven an excellent choice. The shoulder pad must be adjusted to your needs to be able to balance the weight, the camera tends to be a bit front heavy but nothing like the Canon XL2 which has made my right arm grow larger than my left. I added an additional 1/8 inch thick rubber pad under the shoulder pad to alleviate hardness. Contrary to opinions I had no problems with the hybrid LCD menus or focusing with the EVF. I found focusing comfortable even in low light. As an amateur event videographer I’m yet to find a perfect camera for low light conditions (within my pocket’s reach) so I was not expecting much and as such I’m always depending on my trusty custom on board light that possesses a 10, 20 and 50 watts setting. I have no problem convincing anyone for the need of extra lights even demanding “Bridezzilas” or stubborn Clergymen. As mentioned before I own the Cannon XL1s, the XL2, also the Sony HVR-A1U and HDR-HC1, and although the HD 1000u cannot give you the rich colors of the Canon XL2, or the manual selections of the A1U, the HD footage when down converted gives you better definition than the XL2. I remedied the lack of XLR by the acquisition of an XLR adapter and a better quality shotgun mike. An extended range battery is a must and also help with the camera balance and you HAVE to get the ubiquitous AC/DC battery charger. The main reason I acquired this camera was because my hand held cameras and the front heavy Canons where killing me in long takes. Some times tripods where not feasible and I had to use the dreaded camera mounts but they were also prohibited in some instances. At no time I got this camera because it “looked” professional. In my part time business I deal with people on a one on one basis and the professionalism is established by the way I conduct myself but, then again the looks of the camera do help.
The birthday shoot was a success, I’m in the process of editing the footage and so far it looks great. I wish this camera had A LOT of additions to facilitate my work, but then again, I’m not willing to pay the additional cost, so leave it the way it is.
I shot my 1st wedding in 1968 with a Bell and Howell 306, today I maintain the tradition of all amateurs: Within the limits of my budget, I make any camera work for my needs.

Hans Ledel
January 28th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Thank you

You are not an amateur at all.
You are a true PRO since you are actually working with what you have, and as a true Pro you are working within the gears limitation .

William Hohauser
January 28th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Just received the Sony Wide Angle adapter. A distinct improvement in shooting interviews in cramped situations. Only drawback so far, You can't use the lens hood and put the lens cap on at the same time. If someone would make a rubber lens cap to fit over the hood, all would be solved.

Sara Jourhmane
January 28th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Just out of curiosity, which function you folks have choosen for the manual ring?

William Hohauser
January 28th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Exposure mostly. Focus when the camera is having problems due to low light. I have been using the spot focus function with good success.

Tiago Cardoso
January 29th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Hi guys. I've been reading and learning from you the past week as I "found it" by chance. I'm from Brazil and I just got my HD1000U from B&H last friday. I shot a birthday party on saturday with nice results. Too good switching from a DV standard resolution HC96 handy (handy!) cam to the HD1000U.

I have to say I'm kind of shy as I read so many really professional talking around. But, well, I'll give it a shot and maybe at least get the conversation going about this good camera for the price.

I posted some clips of the party I shot over rapidshare. I think it's a good way to see what the camera does in real situations. Special clues about low light condition (clip number 4) and the Smooth Slow Recording feature. Well, you can see it without any compression, which I think it's great. Well, there it goes.

A. 480i
1. http://rapidshare.com/files/87368732/480i_danca_20dw2_e_luz_ambiente.avi.html
2. http://rapidshare.com/files/87368338/480i_externa1_luz_natural.avi.html
3. http://rapidshare.com/files/87367833/480i_externa2_luz_natural.avi.html
4. http://rapidshare.com/files/87394866/480i_parabens_20dw2.avi.html

B. 1080i
1. http://rapidshare.com/files/87379799/1080i_danca_20dw2_e_luz_ambiente.m2t.html
2. http://rapidshare.com/files/87380243/1080i_externa1_luz_natural.m2t.html
3. http://rapidshare.com/files/87378840/1080i_externa2_luz_natural.m2t.html
4. http://rapidshare.com/files/87393768/1080i_parabens_20dw2.m2t.html

Smooth Slow Rec: http://rapidshare.com/files/87394190/1080i_smoothslowrec.m2t.html

Thank you for everything I read so far. So good to learn with you guys. I'll come back soon.

Came back to edit this one just to add that clips 1 and 4 were made with the usage of a HVL-20DW2 sony light.

And also: sorry for my poor English - sometimes you'll have to guess what I wanted to say. :)

Tiago
Brasilia/DF
Brazil

Duane Steiner
January 30th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Just received the Sony Wide Angle adapter. A distinct improvement in shooting interviews in cramped situations. Only drawback so far, You can't use the lens hood and put the lens cap on at the same time. If someone would make a rubber lens cap to fit over the hood, all would be solved.

What is the front thread size and overall diamater? If the size is the same as the Canon wide angle lens then this might be a good solution http://hv20.com/showthread.php?t=1754

Any idea how the quality of the Sony wide angle lens compares to the Canon WD-43 or Raynox 6600 Pro?

William Hohauser
January 30th, 2008, 09:37 PM
37mm thread.

I can say from experience that the Sony brand Wide Angle adapters are better on their cameras than most other brands.

Duane Steiner
January 30th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks. But what are is the thread size of the front of the wide angle converter?

William Hohauser
January 31st, 2008, 04:51 PM
There are no threads on the front of the conversion lens. The poorly written instructions recommend not to put additional filters on it. You could probably use a clamp-on filter holder that fits 68 to 70mm lenses.

Jurgen Geevels
February 6th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I had to choose between an hd1000 (1800 euro) and a XM2 (2000 euro)
Okay the last one is smaller and doesn't look as fancy, and hasn't got HD, but I think the disadvantages stop there, am I right?

Duane Steiner
February 8th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I just got my HD1000. Never used a shoulder mount camera so it is something to get used to (any hints/suggestions would be great). Went out and did some quick test footage with everything set on auto http://www.everythinginhd.com/pages/sonyHD1000test.html. For looking at the footage it seems very similar to my Canon HV20. Also tried my Canon wide angle converter (WD-43) and it seems to work fine.

Asaf Benatia
February 9th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I just got my HD1000. Never used a shoulder mount camera so it is something to get used to (any hints/suggestions would be great). Went out and did some quick test footage with everything set on auto http://www.everythinginhd.com/pages/sonyHD1000test.html. For looking at the footage it seems very similar to my Canon HV20. Also tried my Canon wide angle converter (WD-43) and it seems to work fine.

Hi, Looks great!
can you please check what we all looking for? a brife shoot on a dance floor with a LED video light on camera or a 30-40w video light? and post the footage?

Jurgen Geevels
February 9th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Hi, Looks great!
can you please check what we all looking for? a brife shoot on a dance floor with a LED video light on camera or a 30-40w video light? and post the footage?

Sorry but I think nearly every camera above 500 euro can produce such image nowadays, think you can only judge it uncompressed

Duane Steiner
February 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM
My first video using the HD1000.

http://www.speedandmotion.com/pages/scs021008.html

Duane Steiner
February 25th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Went to a car event with the HD1000. Still takes some getting used to and keeping it still. But overall very happy with it. The battery life is amazing (used a Impact version of the MP-F770). Used the digital zoom, I know not the best, and it worked good. Next purchase though will be a Telephoto Converter.

Here is the video from the event http://www.speedandmotion.com/pages/videos/greddyevent08.html

Wade Davis
March 8th, 2008, 11:53 AM
This site is a rookies dream.I had many questions about the HVR-HD1000 that have now be settled after watching the posted videos. I am looking to use the cam for a local cable talk show on a budget. I believe I will be okay. Thanks guys.

John Luna
March 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Is it possible to pan at all with this camera. Or is this a HDV thing, when I pan the images blurs. Well just got mine yesterday. It's not the prettiest camera around, but it does look professional. Pretty simple to use. Took me a few minutes to figure out that you can adjust the viewfinder (pull it out from to adjust for your eye). I didn't think I would like the touch menu but it's very simple and easy to use. I don't know how to use the camera yet, I have to shoot with it for a while. My exposure with manual and snow is a little off, I am going to adjust the brightness of the LCD to give me a level that is close to the exposure I want.

John

Andrew Kiu
March 27th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I really plan to order this Sony HVR-HD1000, 1st thing keep bothered me is this Real quality cam compared with 3CCD? Currently i was using Canon Xl1s, Is this comparable or better than my Xl1s? since is only Single CMOS Chip sensor?

Appreciated if Anyone can advice me on this 3CCD vs. 1 CMOS Sensor

John Luna
March 27th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I own a XL1 and love the camera but the image does not compare to HDV. I am amazed at the quality. I still haven't shot a lot of footage but as long as I don't do pans it looks great, oh and the pans don't bother me as much on the 32" LCD then they do when I was watching on the computer.

John

Andrew Kiu
March 27th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks John,
Have u try Shoot using DV format setting with Sony HVR-HD1000?
Sony HVR-HD1000 (single CMOS DV format) Vs. Canon Xl1 (3CCD DV)
*Cos sometime clients still required to shoot on DV format

Any Idea?

John Luna
March 28th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Hi Andrew,

I don't think I will ever shoot in DV again. I will always shoot in HDV and downconvert if the clients wants DV. Having the option to have both is great I think.

John

Andrew Kiu
March 29th, 2008, 10:28 AM
John,
Shooting in HDV format are more costly especially Buying HDV Cassettes,
If the final media ONLY required SD/DV by clients (Then the Only cost saving is using SD MiniDV Cassettes)

Since HDV are still very new at our region. not many clients demand on HDV at the moment.

Have you test on DV format without downconvert it? How effective the quality compare with 3CCD.

Adam Gold
March 29th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Don't waste your money on HDV tapes; then it won't be more expensive to shoot in HDV.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=77880#post850545

John Luna
March 31st, 2008, 01:31 PM
Andrew,

I am using standard Sony Mini DV tapes and they work just fine.

John

Johnnie Caraballo
April 7th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Don't waste your money on HDV tapes; then it won't be more expensive to shoot in HDV.

Can you re-use HDV Tapes over and over to save money?

Ervin Farkas
April 8th, 2008, 06:42 AM
It's the same as with regular tapes.

Technically yes, it's up to you if you're willing to put up with occasional dropouts. Reuse them for non-critical stuff (playing around), but not for times where you need to make sure your recording is flawless.

Chris Hurd
April 8th, 2008, 08:28 AM
If you're earning money by shooting a paying job, then buy the most expensive HDV tapes you can afford. If it's just for personal use, then it doesn't matter as long as you don't mind the occasional dropout or glitch.

Duane Steiner
April 8th, 2008, 08:50 AM
If you're earning money by shooting a paying job, then buy the most expensive HDV tapes you can afford. If it's just for personal use, then it doesn't matter as long as you don't mind the occasional dropout or glitch.

Question about tapes, is it ok to mix brands?

Adam Gold
April 8th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Question about tapes, is it ok to mix brands?
The general consensus is no, due to the differing lubricants used by different mfrs. If you switch then you should use a cleaning cassette between brands.

Bill Moede
April 12th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I currently shoot with Canon XL2 and GL2 cameras; musical theatre, weddings commercial training, education and documentaries. Have any of you done a direct comparison between the HVR-HD1000 and some of the popular 3 ccd cameras.

William Hohauser
April 12th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Earlier in this thread I posted my experiences comparing the JVC HD-100, the Sony PD 170 and the HD1000.

Maximilian Pinedo
April 19th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I filmed a birthday party for a costumer and 3 weeks later I was notified of the incredible sound reproduced by the microphone. The customer said that while watching the DVD of the party in a stereo TV with external speakers the sound and voices seemed to pop out of the different places of the room just as if they were right there. I immediately took a copy of the DVD and in my humble stereo non-surround component could hear exactly what the person told me, something I never experienced before, the sound was 'quadraphonic' a there was an eerie presence of the music voices, laughter, steps, etc. It sounded juts as in a sorround system, something neither the customer nor I have?
Has anyone had a similar experience?