View Full Version : New US air travel rules for cam. batteries

Pages : 1 [2]

Brian Drysdale
January 1st, 2008, 10:56 AM
Well, I've got to fly in February for a shoot across country. At this point... I'll check my camera (XL2) in it's pelican case in the hold. I'll take my VL10 On camera light with ONE bp 945 attached, and two spare BP945's. I'm going to give the back up camera(Gl2) to my producer to carryon with one Bp945 and two spares... so I should be good to go. IN THEORY I could carry all eight of my BP945's in my carryon, and LOAD one in my camera in it's case... but again, we're all waiting to see how the TSA actually implements the rules.

They seem to be explaining it clearer now.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm

Only the larger lithium batteries (which could affect RED if they're lithium) seem to run into problems. Basically they want the spare lithium batteries in the cabin, where any fire can be extinguished, rather than burning in the hold, and the terminals covered to prevent shorting. I expect they'll also want all the other safety paperwork/labels that the manufacturers have been providing.

Knowing how tight they are these days, people will have to be aware of their carry on weight limits.

Again, this seems to be the theory.

Peter Ferling
January 1st, 2008, 12:20 PM
All this should create a new market or opportunity (or added fees) for battery rentals, etc.

I also think that a fire proof device may emerge as a consumer option, and if approved by the TSA then we'll all be adding such to our kit and it will be business as usual.

Time will tell when the rules and restrictions of flying become so stringent that we'll be crawling into boxes and fedexing ourselves.. :)

Dave Blackhurst
January 1st, 2008, 06:28 PM
Methinks one of the keys here may be the "covered terminal" requirement. AFAIK, even a regular old 9V battery heats up like the dickens.

So I'm guessing that the explosive results are a result of poor design where batteries short internally, or batteries which become shorted when poorly packed... the former being a manufacturer issue which the TSA cannot really do a single thing about (although it's why I refuse to buy aftermarket batteries)... the latter being a matter of proper care in packing, which the average TSA agent won't know squat about...

All this is probably a result of the old game of "telephone", which oddly resembles the internet in techincal accuracy... someone saw a battery overloaded and exploding and said "that could be bad on an airplane", and through the joys of bureaucracy, passed it up the chain, who then acted on "too many batteries could blow up a plane"... along with fingernail clippers and miscellaneous liquids... and thus a new restriction on the 99.99% of us who are sensible is hatched! To be enforced by guys who probably wouldn't know LiON from a lion (large cat).

Just remember this makes us all safer from ourselves <wink>! Just don't stick your spare batteries in a pile with some extra wire and your spare alarm clock, OK?!

PS - maybe there's an opportunity for "FAA approved battery covers" here? I know the little Canon batteries for the HV20 had covers right with them!

Alex Dolgin
January 1st, 2008, 06:46 PM
Dave, unfortunately there is truth to this, not just rumors. If you scroll up to my message #18, you will see some scary looking evidence.
You are right, that internal defects are the biggest evil, as they are impossible to detect before it is too late. Recent recalls of the Sony batteries were linked to internal short circuits inside their cells. Every Li-Ion battery sold has protection electronics built in, in order to protect against the overloads and short circuits. It is the internal problem inside a cell that is not protected by electronics.
Placing the batteries in plastic bags or covering plus and minus electrodes with electrical tape is good common sense practice, but it does not address the real problem...

Alex Dolgin
January 1st, 2008, 06:54 PM
All this should create a new market or opportunity (or added fees) for battery rentals, etc.

I also think that a fire proof device may emerge as a consumer option, and if approved by the TSA then we'll all be adding such to our kit and it will be business as usual.

Unfortunately this is not practical. In my recent dealings with UL and other battery experts I asked the same question. The guys were just smiling and shaking their heads - the amount of energy released by a burning Li-Ion battery is so great, there is no way to contain it ...

Alessandro Machi
January 1st, 2008, 07:01 PM
How does this affect the selling of Lithium Ion Batteries on eBay? Especially the Anton Bauer batteries? Are people going to be breaking the law everytime they box up an Anton Bauer battery and ship it to the auction winner?

Alex Dolgin
January 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM
It is a good question. Shipping Fedex or UPS, they travel on their own cargo planes. DOT (dept of transportation) in general allows for unregulated shipping of under 100wh batteries. It is the big ones - over 100WH - fall into the special category #9, meaning they must be shipped only in special packaging and be declared.
But what about USPS that uses passenger airplanes for their needs?

John Miller
January 1st, 2008, 09:29 PM
How does this affect the selling of Lithium Ion Batteries on eBay? Especially the Anton Bauer batteries? Are people going to be breaking the law everytime they box up an Anton Bauer battery and ship it to the auction winner?

Not if they ship it UPS Ground (which can often be as quick in my experience).

George Ellis
January 2nd, 2008, 06:47 AM
I have followed this fairly closely and wondered what took the FAA so long to notice. Non-rechargeable Li batteries are even worse in a short in some cases. The fire extinguishers onboard are usually CO2 or ABC, but a Li fire really falls into a class D type extinguisher (with CO2 being the better because of the chilling.) But an unprotected connection shorted on a fully charged battery is bad medicine with Li, and not even a good idea on other batteries. Alkalines get really hot, but usually don't burst into flames. And the flaming laptops are a special case. The battery was contaminated with metal fragments. Those fragments are what eventually caused the material to overheat and catch fire. There were some periods where brands of laptops were banned from air travel because of the risk.

The FAA has banned less risky items in the past. It comes down to a simple rule, when it hits the fan on an airplane, you cannot roll to a stop on the side of the road and get out. And one incident effects hundreds of people in a very spectacular fashion.

Guy Bruner
January 2nd, 2008, 09:29 AM
Bryan,
The TSA's interpretation of the DOT HazMat Rules (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=529d184181a83c054ba39076fcb368b0;rgn=div2;view=text;node=20070809%3A1.40;idno=49;cc=e cfr;start=1;size=25) is incorrect. I have confirmed this with the DOT Hazardous Materials Information Center (800-467-4922). Checking any SPARE batteries is prohibited. Of course, TSA is charged with enforcing these rules, so a traveler may get away with it, but it would be a violation.

The correct interpretation of the rules is on the DOT's Safe Travel website, which in itself is confusing. Basically, you can check or carry-on a DEVICE with an installed Li-ion battery of up to 25 grams Li content.

Of course, you can carry-on any number of Li-ion batteries of up to 8 grams Li, plus up to two extended life (between 8 and 25 grams Li) batteries provided the two extended life batteries do not exceed an aggregate Li content of 25 grams. All spare batteries must have the contacts protected either in their original packaging, by being taped over, or each in a separate plastic bag.

Richard Alvarez
January 2nd, 2008, 09:48 AM
...[Of course, you can carry-on any number of Li-ion batteries of up to 8 grams Li, plus up to two extended life (between 8 and 25 grams Li) batteries provided the two extended life batteries do not exceed an aggregate Li content of 25 grams. All spare batteries must have the contacts protected either in their original packaging, by being taped over, or each in a separate plastic bag.

See, that paragraph says it so eloquently. But I think you have to fail a test to become a regulations writer for the government!

Scott Keyworth
January 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
I hope this is not getting here to late. but here goes.

A "Device" has to be powered by the battery.

Richard Alvarez
January 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
Okay this article seems to confirm our take that you get as many "under 8gm" batteries in your carry on as you like. It's also a well written review of the new regs.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/62899

Scott Keyworth
January 4th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I am a little late here but..
When the DOT says "device" they mean like a laptop battery is installed.
A charger does not qualify. Nor and A/B or Sony battery on a camera.

Ex: A Dionic-90 or BP-L40 on a Sony DSR-250 is an "out board" battery and is not considered installed.

A battery is a PD-150 the same.

Scott Keyworth
Anton/Bauer

Chris Hurd
January 4th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Despite how DOT defines "device," it's going to come down to how individual TSA representatives interpret these rules in practice, and most likely the experience is going to vary widely from one airport to another.

What they're going to be looking for is exposed battery contacts, and batteries carried attached on a charger will not have exposed contacts and therefore most likely will pass TSA inspection in at least some locations. Point being that I would not expect any consistency as to how these rules are enforced.

It doesn't matter if TSA's interpretation of the DOT rules is right or wrong -- what matters is that they have immediate authority to determine what will or will not pass at the security check point.

Richard Alvarez
January 4th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Chris is right, and what the thread has really been dealing with, is a 'guestimation' on how TSA employees will 'rule at the gate'. And it really is just a guestimation at this point. One wonders if it is worth printing out 'the rules' and 'interpretations' to take with, in order to better convince a confused TSA screener... but then you have to choose between the two old adages...

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease" - By arguing, you'll get by.

OR

"The squawking goose gets the axe." - Arguing will just get you screwed.

Bill Ward
January 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Just completed my first trip out under the new rules. I was travelling with an HDCam and 4 IDX E80 bricks. I hung two bricks on the camera, and dutifully encased the two spares in individual Ziplock bags.

The battery-laden camera and spares went into the Portabrace bag, and zipped right through security in the San Francisco and Portland airports without a hitch.

No one even opened the exterior pouch to check on the spares.

I'll still carry the letter from IDX detailing the lithium grams for my set of batteries, and the DOT guidelines detailing "as many as you want" spare batteries under 8 grams details for the foreseeable future, though.

The only impact: that camera bag is a LOT heavier with four batteries in it!

Jim Exton
January 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Did you have to do anything as far as labeling them dangerous goods?

If so, what?

Richard Alvarez
January 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks Bill! SFO is my airport of origin, so that's good to hear. It'd be nice to hear from anyone else who flies 'battery laden' (leaden?) over the next few weeks.

Daniel Weber
January 8th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I just flew out of and back into SFO twice during the past week. No one ever asked to see my camera or batteries. I was traveling with a Sony EX1.

I think that it will be up to the local TSA people to enforce the rule as they see it which is very scary. I usually find the smaller the airport the worse they are about the rules. Also they tend to not have a full grasp of the rules as well.

Daniel Weber

Allan Black
January 9th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Daniel, how did you tote the EX1?
Cheers.

Daniel Weber
January 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I use a Portbrace Runbag, medium size.

It looks like a blue duffle bag and no one know that it has a camera in side unless you open it up. I travel a lot internationally and more and more I am finding that you want to hide your equipment when you pass through borders and customs. For the past 3 years this has served me well, first traveling with my Z1 and now with the EX1.

Dan

Bill Ward
January 9th, 2008, 09:11 PM

If so, what?
No, I didn't, and I don't think I'd want to! That's just asking for trouble...plus all my batteries are under the 8 gram rule, so I don't really consider them as "dangerous".

Except to my poor discs...

Brian Drysdale
January 11th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Just to show that fires can also happen on the ground.

http://www.reelchicago.com/story.cfm?StoryID=1794

Tony Davies-Patrick
January 15th, 2008, 12:10 PM

If so, what?

That would be like placing a sticker on your bag saying that "I'm carrying a loaded gun!"

In the real world of checking in flight baggage, it depends less on the latest national or international 'baggage rules" but more on the temperament and knowledge of the actual person sitting behind the desk that checks in your baggage. The same rules apply to X-Ray machine scanning.

Jeremy Doyle
January 15th, 2008, 03:02 PM
This is a portion of an email from my boss regarding one of my coworkers.

"Ross and Doug traveled from Minneapolis to McCook, NB last week. The trip down was no problem but on the way home he was hassled big time. The TSA guy told him that they could only have 2 LI batteries (He had Sony BP95s) in his carry on and none in the checked bag so he and Doug each took 2 but that left one, there was one on the camera and he was traveling with 6 as this is what it usually takes to get through an 8 to 10 hour day. There was no way the TSA guy was going to let the "hazardous" material through and they could only have 2 each. He asked if he could call our contact down there to come and get it and the guy said he wasn't going to be responsible for that hazardous material laying around while they waited for the guy to come and get it. Then he asked about just disposing of it and he was told if he threw it in the trash they'd have to call HAZZMAT to take care of it. Finally the guy said there was a hazardous waste bin at the other end of the airport and he could dispose of it there. Now we are out a $650 battery and are running the risk of having this happen every time we travel. Ross had all his batteries individually wrapped in Ziploc bags and in his carry on and according to the TSA "

Like was said before depends on the TSA agent.

Bill Ward
January 15th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Which is why Li-Ion folks need to print out the news release from the Dept of Transportation website (which very clearly says you can have as many under 100-watt hour batteries as you like in your carry on) and take it with them. Also, get a letter on a company letterhead from IDX or AB or whichever battery supplier you use, and have them certify the watt hours or grams of Li-ion in the batteries.

If you get a TSA hardcase, politely ask to speak to the shift supervisor, and show him your paperwork.

Richard Alvarez
January 15th, 2008, 10:33 PM
So a TSA Agent in McCook Nebraska is the first hard case we hear about... while the agents in Minneapolis and SFO for example, have no problems.

Might we infer from this that the smaller the airport, the greater the likelihood of hassle???

Jeremy Doyle
January 16th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I might add that we have all the IDX paperwork printed out. It's Sony that hasn't come out with their documentation yet. We have several calls in to varies people at Sony, but haven't heard boo yet.

Chris Swanberg
January 16th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Two weeks ago, when boarding in Helena Montana the TSA folks somewhat testily had me remove my small Hi8 camcorder (my knockabout) from my backpack, telling me that laptops and videocameras "had to be removed and passed through the scanner separately" and then made me re-reun the backpack and camera in separate bins. That was the first I had heard that. Nothing was said about the Li ion batteries, but I only had 2.

Boyd Ostroff
January 16th, 2008, 06:24 PM
My experience has been that they expect you to place cameras, cellphones and laptops in a bin. Even when they aren't specifically asking I generally do it anyway since it helps keep the line moving and really isn't much of a hardship.

Chris Swanberg
January 30th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Boyd's point is a good one, especially with a little knockabout consumer camera. But, do I want to show off my Z1 to everyone standing around in an airport baggage line? ....No, not if I can help it... so, is it ok to wrap a camera in a black trash bag and place it in a bin alone to be x-rayed without showing off your expensive camera to would be thieves? Any ideas? Experiences?

Daniel Weber
January 31st, 2008, 08:42 AM
I think you would draw the attention of TSA and spend more time explaining yourself than you would want to.

Just put you camera through the x-ray machine right before you walk through yourself. You will get through faster than the camera will. I wouldn't worry about people stealing the camera.

If you act like a professional who knows what they are doing, you will get through the process quickly with out to much delay or fuss.

I do this probably 50 times a year.

Daniel Weber

Chris Swanberg
January 31st, 2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the good advice. My fear was probably set off by a story I heard about a guy who boarded with a fairly expensive camera and was accosted by folks in the destination airport, people who clearly targeted him and the bag with the camera - who he figured had been tipped off what he was carrying. I am not worried about losing the camera in the TSA line (grin).

Josh Chesarek
March 19th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I just had a Bescor 12V Lead Acid Camera Light Battery ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/135347-REG/Bescor_PRB7XLRNC_PRB_7XLR_Starved_Electrolyte_Battery.html) removed from my luggage after flying to the UK with it in Checked baggage (had all ready filled my carry on with my XH-A1 and its accessories) Newark People decided it was unsafe to fly and they are holding it in the Hazmat area until I return to Newark (which I never will). They could not tell me why it was not allowed. I was trying to read the rules but they all seem to talk about LIONs not Lead Acid. (I don't know the difference) I have no problem flying by the rules but I would have appreciated being given a chance to mail the battery to my self, not being told after boarding that "An electrical device was removed from your baggage and can be picked up when you return." I am waiting for a call back to see if they can ship it to me. For what it is worth when they asked if I had any hazardous material in my bag I did tell them that I had a larger than normal rechargeable 12 Volt set of batteries for a camera light but they did not care when I was checking in.

Chris Luker
March 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Went to Brussels and back from Salt Lake through Chicago in december with a Z1 w/3 950 batteries, an Hc3 with a big battery, a macbook pro, a macbook and a pc laptop all with Li batteries, and did not even get questioned once.
My wife gets pulled aside EVERY time for a closer search. She wears a Muslim hamsa necklace (her family is Muslim).
My brother (worked for HS now Secret Service) says it's called "Targeting", not "Profiling"...

Les Wilson
March 20th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I traveled to Singapore and China via LAX with a Bescor NiMH battery in a checked SKB case. While the regulations are clear that NiMH aren't affected, the problem is that the Bescor battery is not marked in any way as to the type of battery it is. If Bescor started marking them in a way that looked OEM, I think some of these problems would be averted. As a hedge, I connected my battery to its AC charger to satisfy the regulation that the extra battery has to be connected to a device. The case was inspected in LA when outbound but as far as I know, was not inspected elsewhere.

Josh Chesarek
March 20th, 2008, 07:03 AM
The battery had its charger wrapped around it, both were taken from my luggage. Still waiting to hear back from Continental. TSA said they only discovered it but it was Continental's call to not allow it on the plane, Continental is holding it in Newark.. : Sigh :

Max Wilson
March 23rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
In practise, since traditionally many news crews hand carry their camera and you can't check in spare lithium batteries. A set of batteries in their case for the larger cameras would be pretty close to the cabin baggage limits (and many would be too large). So, with current security controls it might come down to a simple choice of deciding if you put the camera in the hold (in a proper case of course). It depends if they regard your Betacam/XDCAM/DVPRO.... kit as a camera or your carry on baggage allowance.

Ah, the joys of travelling with a broadcast camera kit.

The smaller cameras would seem to be able to work around this.
I recently flew from LA to SFO with my new JVC HD110 (small compared to some broadcast cameras) and carried it bare with no bag since i didn't have time to get one before the flight, i then had my backpack with MacBook Pro and a Pelican case with all the camera accessories in the backpack.

I had the IDX charger and two bricks one on the camera and one on the charger in the pelican.
I had no trouble at security at LA, Just took the Laptop out and put them all in different bins. The airlines website said that media cameras where exempt from carry on size rules, so i printed this page just in case.
Once on board the flight was under booked so i had a whole row to myself and strapped the camera to the seat next to me.

On the way back going though SFO security took the pelican out of the backpack and scanned it separate but never opened the case.

So far traveling with the HD110 bare is easier then traveling with the DVX100 in a bag with all the accessories, i normally got the bomb swab scan thing on my camera bag pretty much every time.

John Huebbe
May 6th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I recently flew from St. Louis, MO to Spokane, WA and had no trouble with my batteries. My brother and I travel with 2 porta brace hard cases as carry-ons and had 2 V1U's, 3 HC1's, and 5 TRV33's along with 4 large batteries for the V1U's and 10 large batteries for the HC1's and TRV33's.

The TSA didn't care too much about the camera batteries. They seemed to be more concerned with my rechargable NiMH AA batteries that I had in my backpack.

Going through security seemed to be just the same as years in the past.

As a side note, the TSA agents in Spokane seemed to be the nicest people out of all of the airports I've been to. Maybe because it is a small airport and they are not too busy or rushed.

Linda Schodowsky
July 3rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
First off, this thread has been very helpful, so thanks for that. :-) I have 2 rechargeable battery packs - NP-F750 & NP-F960 and from what I've read here, and from the link provided in one of the posts, both will be okay to board the plane with me. I'm taking with me, my VX2000, a tripod, DV Caddie, power adaptor with cord and two batteries, which will all go with me on the plane.

I have a question regarding my AC power adaptor. Will that pose any problem when I'm going through security? I'm also wondering if, when flying to NYC, the rules are more rigid due to 9/11. I'm coming from Cleveland and will be arriving at La Guardia.

Also, how do I handle the cassettes I'll be taking with me? Should I permit those to go through the x-ray machine, or should they be held aside?

Bill Ward
July 3rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
Linda:

There should be no problem with the power supply. Don't be surprised if it gets a little extra attention after X-ray, and maybe even a question about what it is. Cords and electronics look pretty scary on the colorized X-ray monitor.

I think the general consensus has been that the X-ray machine has no effect on videotape, shot or un-shot. If you're worried, ask for a hand check of your cassettes. Just be sure you have some extra time, because once they start looking, they'll likely open every single tape box to examine the contents.

Linda Schodowsky
July 4th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the info, Bill. Yes - the AC Power Adaptor is a bit curious looking, being a solid, rectangular shape with a cord on one end and a socket on the other. The tapes themselves, I'll put aside, for them to examine.

I just don't want any glitches or confiscations awaiting for me at the security point. :-P

Bill Ward
July 4th, 2008, 11:46 AM
While no TSA agent has even checked this yet on my trips, one other precautionary measure: put each of your batteries in a little ziploc bag, so they are isolated from metal contact across the battery leads.

In theory, if you don't, you're not in compliance with the carry on rules for Lithium Ion batteries, and they could be taken out of your bag.

Linda Schodowsky
July 5th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the info. I've also read that the battery ends need to be taped? Does this also apply to lithium batteries?

Bill Ward
July 5th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Linda: well, that's another way to adhere to the rules. (brrrump-ching!) But seriously, folks...

I wouldn't tape the ends of the battery. You don't need to. The Ziploc bags (or original cardboard/plastic packaging) work just fine, and you don't have to worry about gunky build-up on the battery leads transferring into your power slots on the camera.

Linda Schodowsky
July 7th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I read somewhere on line that my type of battery doesn't require tape, so zip-locs, it is!

Joe Sonnenburg
July 7th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I've traveled quite a bit with Camera Equipment and I'm amazed they don't question me because of all the cords and cables in my bag (multiple chargers for different camera batteries, laptop AC cord, phone charger, headphones, xlr cables, etc.) They just make me take my laptop and camera out of the carryon and I've never had problems.

I'll also echo the battery solution. Either put them in plastic bags or in completely separate containers so the metal contacts on the battery can't touch other metal. Just allow a little extra time so you don't have to rush.