View Full Version : Newbie..How do i get the video to my PC? HELP

David Ruhland
January 2nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
So i got my GL2 today, loaded the DVC storage drive on the pc, the pc recognizes the camera...the PC connect is showing on the camera...now how do i get the video i shot from the camera to the PC?

i have read both the software manual and the operators manual and i must be missing it somewhere....
HELP please..

Thanks

David Ennis
January 2nd, 2008, 11:25 PM
Now you need to run a program that has a "capture video" function. There are many you can buy, and many of those have free trial versions you can download immediately. If you're running XP, then Windows Movie Maker will do the job.

David Ruhland
January 3rd, 2008, 07:46 AM
This is the message i keep getting. I have tried it in both EZ Creator 10 and windows movie maker.

When i plug the camera into the USB port it does recognize the camera.

It gives me another drive when i click on my computer, but still nothing.

I have the GL2 in the PLAY/VCR mode and the swithch in the CARD position. IF this was wokring poroperly when i selected the import video future would it automatically start coming from the cam to the pc-or do i need to push "play" or something on the GL2

Thanks..

David L. Holmes
January 3rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
You should have your switch setting to "Tape" to download video. The "Card" setting is only for digital pictures you have shot with the Photo button above the switch. Also, you need to have a Firewire cable for video transfer, not your USB cable, which is for photos.

Chris Hurd
January 3rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
You'll need not only a FireWire cable but also a FireWire card for your computer.

They're fairly inexpensive though... about $30. Cable is usually included with the card.

No way to move video through USB -- it must be FireWire.

Jenna Klingensmith
January 3rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Depending on the software you use, you may be able to connect your camera and press play and the software will detect and start uploading, The softwares I use, I usually press the "record" or "upload" button and the computer tells my camcorder to play, so I am able to control my camcorder through my PC. Also, you should have it in video mode, as said above. Either of those softwares you talked about should work, but you could always download a free trial of another video software and try your luck with that. Personally I wouldn't use windows movie maker, I probably have it on my computer, but I've never touched it, lol. Hope you figure it out!

David Ruhland
January 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Okay..remember Im a still photographer that has been FORCED to go the video route...(not that im complaining) so i get a little confused by the lingo...ie images ...images to me are still images. So the first mistake i was making was i was trying to use the USB cable that came with the camera, not a fire wire. Wouldnt u think CAnon could throw one of those in the camera box! The instructions on page 113 of the Canon Manual refer to transferring images....not video... oh well...

So i hooked it up and the gizmo automatically rewound the tape and got it from the camera to my pc! YIPPEE... BUT.. the audio is cutting in and out? any idea why?

I need to figure out the codec and bit rates, etc to bring it in from the camera at... suggestions... Like is there a standard bring it in at high quality and output at what u need? etc.. does that make sense

Thanks for everything so far!

dave

Don Palomaki
January 3rd, 2008, 03:58 PM
What is your system? PC (processor, speed, ram), operating system, video capture software, etc.

David Ruhland
January 3rd, 2008, 05:01 PM
I have XP SP2 AMD Athlon Processor 3700 1gb ram (upgradable to 3gb) My Video card is a geoforce 5500 256mb ddr tv dvi. Is this the prob of dropped/choppy audio?

Im also getting a green screen across my videos when i capture them...had some prob watching some videos in windows media player thought it was a big in Windows Media player 10...

Allen Plowman
January 3rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Okay..remember Im a still photographer that has been FORCED to go the video route...(not that im complaining) so i get a little confused by the lingo...ie images ...images to me are still images. So the first mistake i was making was i was trying to use the USB cable that came with the camera, not a fire wire. Wouldnt u think CAnon could throw one of those in the camera box! The instructions on page 113 of the Canon Manual refer to transferring images....not video... oh well...

dave

yes video is images, just like photography. The difference is how it is stored and transferred. a single picture from a cameras memory through a usb cord can take as long as it need to transfer. video is normally 30 images a second, and stored on a tape (yes I am being overly simplistic) the tape plays at a specific speed, the data must be transferred at a rate that can handle that much data at that speed. usb is too slow. so you are correct, images are images. its the speed of transfer that requires the firewire rather than usb.

David L. Holmes
January 4th, 2008, 12:31 AM
First off, you should get a tape head cleaner and run it through your camera for about 10 seconds. Sounds kind of strange that you have to do that to a BRAND NEW CAMERA, but it's a common problem. The audio drop out could be dirty heads, so the tape cleaner should help, but if not, you have to try someone elses computer or a different capture program. For about $99.00 you can get Adobe Premere Elements that does an allright job. It will take some time to work out all the quirks of your system, but hang in there!

David Ruhland
January 4th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I tried playing the video right out of the camera onto the television. No audio loss-not choppy etc...so it has something to do with the images going from the camera to the puter. I am wondering if it is perhaps the onboard fire wire conection that is intregrated into the motherboard.

I do have a PCI firewire that i may install and try it. Thoughts?

Allen Plowman
January 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM
David, what is your hard drive speed and arrangement? choppy video and out of sync audio are indications your system is not keeping up with the flow of data. do you have a separate hard drive for your captured your video?

David Ruhland
January 4th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Allen,

Im bringing it into a new 320gb 7200RPM Hard Drive.. I am using Creator 10 is there maybe an import setting or something i should be bringing it in at?

While taping it says 16bit?

Philip Boyer
January 4th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Several years ago, I had a dropped frames problem that was discussed at the link below. Myabe the information there will be of some use to you.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=27954

David Ruhland
January 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM
i checked this DMA hard drive stuff, but i have sata hard drives...so they are on thier own channel..for the heck of it i turned off norton antivirus and recaptured....guess what... no dropped frames or audio....could this have been the problem?

i watched my task manager and at times my CPU was at 85% while uploading... so perhaps im pushing the system to the limits too.

I going to research the forums for puter specs and may need to start a new thread on the ultimate video editing pc!

Chris Hurd
January 5th, 2008, 11:21 AM
...may need to start a new thread on the ultimate video editing pc!Ah, but you see we have several of those threads already... but you're on the right track,