View Full Version : Capturing headache - help!

Sunny Dhinsey
January 17th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to capture from my Canon XHA1 onto my Harddrive using Sony Vegas 7.0e.

Everytime I plug in the camera, the software says ''Device Not Available" and on the camera LCD screen the words "HDV//DV IN" and "CH1/2" keep flashing simultaneously.

Could anyone tell me what's going on? :(

Thank you!

Gert Kracht
January 17th, 2008, 12:14 PM
There might be something not ok with your firewire connector in the camera, or the cable. I had the same experience. New cable was the solution for me.
I'm using Vegas 8.0b right now.

Sunny Dhinsey
January 17th, 2008, 12:20 PM
The cable seems to function correctly. It only seems to be happening on one of my A1s. Oddly, it connects to my laptop, but not my desktop.

Peter Jefferson
January 18th, 2008, 03:46 AM
The A1 will only work with SP2. HDV can only capture through the Vegas GUI, not Vidcap. You MUST have the camera off when opening HDV cap. Once the app is running, only then should you turn on the camera. For some reason, Vegas doesn't play too nicely with the A1

Don Palomaki
January 18th, 2008, 08:06 AM
If the camcorder connects to your laptop, but not your desktop, there may be an issue with a driver or setting on the desktop.

Alastair Brown
January 18th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Seems to be a common complaint.

I've resorted to using my HV20 and 7 for the moment.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...ht=canon+xh-a1

Jim Bell
January 27th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Try HDVSplit
http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm
Works great with A1. No drivers to install. Just connect the camera, turn it on, and launch the progam.
Beta, but I have had no trouble.

Annie Haycock
January 28th, 2008, 03:30 AM
When Premier elements refused to recognise the camcorder, I discovered the problem was that I had not switched things on in the right order. The program needed to be running before the camcorder was switched on. I f I did it the other way round, I could rewind the tape, but nothing else.

Just a thought