View Full Version : Checking hours on an HD110U?

Xiao Yao
January 20th, 2008, 09:13 PM
ok,here's the story, you may find it stupid, I personally feel it is.

I bought a GY HD110U around august last year from US with 5500USD, well, it's still cheaper than what the local dealer offered me. Unfortunately, I realised my country use PAL instead of NTSC. I don know much about videography, don laugh.

Now I'm going to sell away this new camcorder on ebay or somewhere, anyone can tell me how to check the headhour for this camcorder? I want to show my customers that my camcorder is really unused.

Brian Luce
January 20th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Hi, hour meters are easily accessible from the menu. However, before you sell it, at least consider, if you haven't already, that provided you shoot in 720p, you're not shooting in PAL or NTSC. Frankly the PAL/NTSC thing is so 1990's.

Joseph A. Benoit
January 20th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Hello:
bring up the menu on the camera.

goto (OTHERS) on the MENU

Then go to NEXT PAGE

on the bottom you will see

DRUM HOURS/FAN HOURS

THIS WILL TELL HOW MUCH TIME IS ON THE CAMERA

Also you can just go to page 80 in your manual

Joe

Ted Ramasola
January 20th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Xiao Yao

Brian is correct. I live in the NTSC country of The Philuppines. I got a European model HD100E. This had no effect whatsoever in my work since HDV and today's NLE are agnostic to either PAL or NTSC.
DONT use DV. Just use HDV. Even for SD work use the 480P HDV of your cam and your good to go.

No need to sell it. Its a good buy.

Ted

Brian Luce
January 20th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Xiao Yao

No need to sell it. Its a good buy.

Ted

To follow this up, according to the JVC website, if your intent is to deliver SD DVD, you're better off downconverting from HDV as opposed to originating in DV because HDV and DVD use the same 4.2.0 color space.
Keep your camera bro.

Xiao Yao
January 20th, 2008, 11:58 PM
thankz so much dudes!!! I finally realised I must hold the menu button in order to access the menu...hehe, drum hour is 0.

um...so ntsc/pal doesnt really matter if I shoot in HDV. Cool,guess I gotta go for training in order to handle this camcorder. It's not as user friendly as miniDV...

Claude Mangold
January 21st, 2008, 01:35 AM
On the contrary it's quite user-friendly but it's a professional thing as opposed to most mini-dv. and it has awsome capabilities.
Take the time to read the manual thouroughly and schedule some practice shooting - you'll see, it's great.
Good luck !

Michael Maier
January 21st, 2008, 05:11 AM
Right. HD is HD. It doesn't matter if you PAL or NTSC. But just remember, if you are shooting to convert to PAL SD, use HDV 25p or 50p and you will be fine.
But no real reason to sell the camera, as already pointed. Have fun!

Maxene Kuek
January 23rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Just remember, it is a PROGRESSIVE camera and you cannot just swing the camera here and there and zoom as you wish... your footage will look terrible... You will need to think like shooting a film camera and learn the different approach with zooms framing and panning...

Sean Adair
January 27th, 2008, 11:12 AM
hehe - I can swing my camera like a monkey when in 60p!
480/60p too - it's frame rate, not progressive to blame.