View Full Version : Discussion: XM2 vs XL1

Jurgen Geevels
January 25th, 2008, 12:22 PM
hello everyone!

I'm a very proud XM2/GM2 owner, but offcourse I could've bought a second hands XL1.
Now I had some discussions about that with my classmates.
So I'd like to ask some real pro's from the business, what is better/worse compared to a (second hands) XL1?

there main argument is that the lens must be "waay" better because its bigger -_-

Don Palomaki
January 25th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Rating a camcorder as better/worse implies specific uses/capabilities are being evaluated, and a specific alternative camcorder to be compared to for the same capabilities.

A used XL1 is a good camcorder, but it is a more-than-10 year old design, and has corresponding limitations, which may or may not impact specific users and uses.

But some generalities:
The skill of the videographer is generally much more important than the specific camcorder used as far as producing a quality end product.
Used camcorders are usually less costly for a similar capability.
New is usually overall better than used, it has warranty for starters, and will usually reflect current technologies.
Bigger is better for some purposes, but not for others.
Having an interchangeable lens can be a better option than a fixed lens - if you use the capability, but it may be a wasted costly capability if you only use the stock lens.
The XL1 family models have about the best audio capability in its price class.

Jurgen Geevels
January 26th, 2008, 05:27 AM
thanks Don,
but what would you say -overall- is the best, I mean Image quality, ect :)

Don Palomaki
January 26th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Not easy to say, because they are different camcorders with different strengths and weaknesses.

But if forced to make a choice, i would say that for typical amateur use, the GL2 is arguably the better choice.

Dale Guthormsen
January 26th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Jurgen,

don's notes are first rate.

I shoot and xl2 and a gl2. I still love my gl2 and I learned a huge amount from it. I use it for any run and gun stuff, but I also use it as a second camera on event shoots.
As Don said the xl1/xl2 require a lot more knowledge and skill. There have been times where my gl2 gave me nicer video. Now I have a much better grasp of the xl2 and it gives me amazing footage. My main reason for the xl2 is the ability to change lenses!!

Jurgen Geevels
January 27th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Well fact is, in school we use xl1's in the first year, but I got mysefl a xm2 to practice a bit outside and do some small jobs, like weddings.