View Full Version : Rubber SDI Cap

Paul Joy
January 30th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Well, it's finally escaped. I worked hard to keep hold of it but that illusive little cap which pops off with the slightest touch got away in the end :(

Anyone know of a better designed SDI cap that can be purchased to keep the port free from dust, insects and other nasties?

Paul.

Eric Pascarelli
January 30th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I thought about a BNC terminator - but it would be hard to remove (as hard as it is to remove a BNC cable from that connector).

Maybe that's a good thing?

Steven Thomas
January 30th, 2008, 12:28 PM
A BNC cap would solve the problem. They usually stay on, but the other half of the issue is just remembering where you set the dang thing! LOL

Raymond Schlogel
January 30th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I had read on this forum about others having problems with the cap before I got my cam. On the day it came I literally laughed out loud when after only about 5 mins of playing with the cam I noticed my cap had gone missing. Found it and put it in the box with the paperwork cuz there's really no reason to have it on unless you just really do want to loose it.

- Ray

Eric Pascarelli
January 30th, 2008, 01:32 PM
My cap fell off when I was taking the camera out of the box.

Charles Young
January 30th, 2008, 02:32 PM
What cap?

Mine vanished into thin air in less than ten minutes after arrival.

Oh look probably get 10 for a dollar. http://www.caplugs.com/

or fancy: http://www.surplussales.com/Connectors/BNC-10.html

Sami Sanpakkila
January 30th, 2008, 02:47 PM
My SDI cap fell after the first 2 minutes of tests. I think someone said that there is a cap for the DC power but mine didnt have that on arrival...

sami

Paul Joy
January 30th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I like the one posted above with the attachment chain, would make the camera look very bathroom like :)

Piotr Wozniacki
January 30th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Silicon that never completely solidifies is my method.

Sami Sanpakkila
January 30th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I like the one posted above with the attachment chain, would make the camera look very bathroom like :)

Says the guy who posted the Hot & Cold short! Whats up with this bathroom accessories fetish Paul ;) sorry, couldnt help it... ;D

Paul Joy
January 30th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Whats up with this bathroom accessories fetish Paul ;) sorry, couldnt help it... ;D

You might be on to something there!

Chris Soucy
January 30th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Would one of these be any use?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/48042-REG/Sima_CK1_CapKeeper_1_Lens_Cap.html#goto_itemInfo

Might be a tad oversize but then again.....

CS

Charles Young
January 30th, 2008, 04:26 PM
All of the following fall into one of these categories:
Things I have used duct tape for,
Things other people have used duct tape for,
Things I have imagined using duct tape for,
Things other people have imagined using duct tape for.

Joel Klein
January 30th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Well.... the cap is part of the shipping packaging only…
It’s funny how Sony keeps the price low.... maybe that’s why Sony drop the price with $250.00....

The main issue here is, we can only use a HD cap, a cap that’s made for SP, or interlaced, will not work...

At least we have a NEW SINDROM problem to talk about...

I call this a Progressive problem, since the cap is going off at ones, not just the bottom field…

Enjoy!

Sami Sanpakkila
January 30th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Decapping?

Don Greening
January 30th, 2008, 11:54 PM
This seems to be a captivating problem......or is that decapitating?

- Don

Craig Seeman
January 31st, 2008, 08:21 AM
There's a secret subliminal sales pitch for the camera in each cap. Sony wants them to fall off and be scattered around the world just like those magazine order form inserts.

I stuck black gaffers tape over the plastic cap so it doesn't fall off (and a PITA to untape and use).

Sean Donnelly
January 31st, 2008, 06:35 PM
I like the idea of a BNC terminator, although if you can convince the folks at AJA to send you one of the ones that comes on their downconverter that would pretty much be the best alternative. They're solid plastic, and are slotted to form tension around the locking pins. Panavision NY still has the originals on most of their boxes.

Mark OConnell
January 31st, 2008, 07:13 PM
Funny to see this thread. Mine has been falling off and the day before yesterday finally disappeared for good. I ordered a couple more from Sony.
The part # is 3-285-384-01, the price is $4.53 but the minimum shipping and handling charge is $11- something, so if you go this route you'd be best off ordering more then one. Phone for parts is 1-800-538-7550. I've currently got it covered with some stylish black gaffers tape and I'm thinking once the next two are lost I'll just leave it at that.

Charles Young
January 31st, 2008, 09:05 PM
I found my cap today! On the living room floor!

I stuck it in the junk drawer in the kitchen, along with the JBWeld Vinyl Glue sissors pencils bunch of stuff, At least if I need it I know where to look.

Michael H. Stevens
January 31st, 2008, 10:22 PM
Lost mine first day!