View Full Version : Does something like this work with HPX?

Kaku Ito
January 31st, 2008, 08:53 AM
During shooting with 35mm imagers, I'm seeking a reasonable monitor for better focussing.

Would this work for HPX?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/529000-REG/JVC_VF_HP840U_VF_HP840U_8_4_8_4_LCD.html

Robert Lane
January 31st, 2008, 10:01 AM
It might, but it would be a letterboxed image since that is a 4:3 aspect ratio screen.

Here's the perfect fit - it's less money and has more features:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/494382-REG/Panasonic_BT_LH80W_BT_LH80W_7_9_Multi_Format_Color.html

Kaku Ito
January 31st, 2008, 10:10 AM
gawd, since LH80 is a lot more expensive in Japan, I was looking at the alternative. Look at that, a lot cheaper than the price in Japan.

Victor one has 720 horizontal pixel which I though it gives sharper image but didn't look good enough that I didn't realize it was 4:3.

Mike Connolly
January 31st, 2008, 10:42 AM
You can also power the LH80W off your HPX, and use it in viewfinder mode off the HPX with optional connectors.

I've ordered one from the US, as it's almost £2000 here in the UK.

Jeff Heywood
January 31st, 2008, 02:29 PM
The cable to power the lh80 off the hpx is about 375 bucks. Yikes.

You can send the viewfinder overlay to the lh80 through sdi without the fancy pants cable, but if you use focus in red, it unfortunately lets you know your overlay is in focus.

Kit Hannah
January 31st, 2008, 05:00 PM
Hey kaku,

We are actually in the process of developing some true pixel for pixel LCD monitors with HD-SDI in / through for our rig. They'll be a bit larger (probably 15"), but will have excellent color reproduction and many of other capabilities. If you would be interested in something like that, we could talk about getting those over to Japan. Just something we are DIY'ing right now, but could potentially lead to a full on product line at some point.
Kit

Kaku Ito
January 31st, 2008, 07:34 PM
Hey kaku,

We are actually in the process of developing some true pixel for pixel LCD monitors with HD-SDI in / through for our rig. They'll be a bit larger (probably 15"), but will have excellent color reproduction and many of other capabilities. If you would be interested in something like that, we could talk about getting those over to Japan. Just something we are DIY'ing right now, but could potentially lead to a full on product line at some point.
Kit

Kit,

Thanks for offering. Can you make that with 10.6" panel that comes with smaller laptops? I think that is what Bruce is using and seems to be working, but I don't get any answer back from him. 15" will be too large to mount on the cam although it would be great for directors at shooting sight.

Sergio Perez
February 1st, 2008, 01:16 AM
Kaku, what is the price of the BTLH-80w in Japan?

Kaku Ito
February 1st, 2008, 03:48 AM
close to $3K

Kit Hannah
February 1st, 2008, 10:30 AM
Kit,

Thanks for offering. Can you make that with 10.6" panel that comes with smaller laptops? I think that is what Bruce is using and seems to be working, but I don't get any answer back from him. 15" will be too large to mount on the cam although it would be great for directors at shooting sight.

Yeah, we're looking into a version like that, but it's not going to be pixel for pixel, but that's exactly what we'll be looking at, something in the 10" range. That way you can at least get half the number of pixels, which will still be awesome, it just won't be true pixel for pixel. 15" is the smallest I have seen with True Pixel to Pixel. It will be light though. We're trying to build everything as light as possible, because we don't want something too heavy either. It will feature HD-SDI, tons of features, Color Calibration, Anton Bauer or IDX Battery Mounts, and it will be 12 volt so you can run it from the camera (and no, the cable won't be $350). I can't say that it will have every feature that the Panasonic has (probably no waveform monitor), But for most people that will be ok, especially if it's true resolution and it doesn't cost as much. We'll probably have something up and running in the next month or 2, possibly sooner.

For the time being, what we will probably do is put the monitor on it's own cheap tripod. You can get some really nice and inexpensive still camera tripods with x, y & z axis adjustments for less than $100. Once we get everything rolling, we will snap some photos and figure out pricing.

Kaku Ito
February 1st, 2008, 10:48 AM
Hey Kit,

Sounds all exciting. I shoot mostly 720, so 10.6" will be pixel to pixel.
You should get together with Bruce and combine both of your ideas.
Bruce kindly replied me and told me that he is swamped with the back order.

You guys get together and it'll be a dream tag team.

Kit Hannah
February 1st, 2008, 12:28 PM
Yeah, if you are shooting 720, then it will be pixel for pixel...

BTW, is there a reason Kaku, that you shoot 720 as opposed to 1080?

Kaku Ito
February 1st, 2008, 12:29 PM
Yeah, if you are shooting 720, then it will be pixel for pixel...

BTW, is there a reason Kaku, that you shoot 720 as opposed to 1080?

to have longer shooting time and variable frame rate because I mostly shoot mountainbike actions.