View Full Version : Recommend a case for the XDCAM EX?

Chuck Heilig
January 31st, 2008, 11:21 AM
Greetings All!

I was wondering which case you bought for your Sony XDCAM EX. I'm about to purchase one, and I'm thinking I might go for a hard shell case. Let me know what you got!

Thanks!

Chuck

Sami Sanpakkila
January 31st, 2008, 12:13 PM
I have a Portabrace SZW-3. It fits my EX1 with Cinevate rails, the LEX and a lens attached. It fits lots of accessories like all my 6 lenses, canned air, manual, playback equipment etc. Very happy with it. Its very compact. But it is big as is my rig.

Steven Davis
January 31st, 2008, 12:55 PM
I'm a hard case fan, I have a z1 and have it in a pelican.

Dennis Schmitz
January 31st, 2008, 02:14 PM
I would recommend Peli cases, too.

regards Dennis

Henry Dale
January 31st, 2008, 02:27 PM
Mine is in a Peli 1440 -- with the fatuous viewfinder removed, it fits lengthways with enough room behind it for a matte box, the mic is on its end in a hole down through the foam. In the layer underneath the camera are the batteries and a plastic box full of accessories (mattebox flags, 4x4 filters, short mic lead, brush, blower, remote control).

Jamie Baughman
January 31st, 2008, 05:41 PM
Here's the case I got...

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=273&cid=28&perentId=4&ProdLine=4

I shot some stuff at South by Southwest last year and felt like my shoulder was going to fall off after carrying an over the shoulder bag. Decided to go with the backpack this time around!

I'm also planning on using a 12" laptop and firewire drive to pull footage off in the field and there's room for that too.

Thanks

Paul Joy
January 31st, 2008, 08:36 PM
Mine lives in a Peli 1560 where it is protected from most things including the kids jumping on it and being thrown in and out of the car.

I got myself a Portabrace soft case today too just for those times when I want to wander around with the camera and a tripod, that really doesn't work with a hard case.

Paul.

Steven D. Martin
January 31st, 2008, 08:44 PM
I just got my EX-1 today (woo hoo!) and am also asking the case question. I need something I can carry onto an airplane (I'm tired of checking my JVC-HD100 in a Pelican case). The kicker is that every flight I take involves a regional jet, which has really small overhead bins. Suggestions?

Steven Thomas
January 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM
I can't believe you checked in a $6,000.00 USD camera!

Eric Pascarelli
January 31st, 2008, 09:12 PM
I have this undersized Porta-Brace. It's a bit of a squeeze, but the camera is reasonably well protected. There is no forcing needed or anything. The inside tray can just adjust wide enough for the EX1 hand grip. The opening is a little small to easily pull the camera out and in - but it's pretty good as long as you unzip it all the way. There's room for 2 or three batteries, the charger, some cables and a little bit more. No room for an on-camera shotgun mic, though. But if you take it off, no problem, along with a cable.

I bought it because I wanted something really small, like you. It fits easily in "normal" overheads and I think it would fit in most puddle jumpers, too.

http://www.portabrace.com/productB-CS-DV2U

Steven D. Martin
January 31st, 2008, 09:16 PM
I can't believe you checked in a $6,000.00 USD camera!
Hey, I had no choice. That's my point- if you carry on a camera, and the plane can't accommodate it in the cabin, then your option is to gate check it. NO!! The other option, then, is to put it in a big Pelican case and hope for the best. Fortunately it's turned out fine. But one of the reasons I got the EX-1 was the hope that it would be small enough to carry on planes again.

Steven D. Martin
January 31st, 2008, 09:18 PM
I have this undersized Porta-Brace. It's a bit of a squeeze, but the camera is reasonably well protected. There is no forcing [/url]

I generally shy away from Portabrace cases because they look so professional. They have "Steal Me" written across the sides of them. I'll check it out, though.

Eric Pascarelli
January 31st, 2008, 09:20 PM
I am always prepared to check my cameras when traveling internationally - I travel with a bunch of expensive Nikon stuff and very often some obscure airport will have a weird carry-on policy.

When I was in Glasgow (not what I would call an obscure airport, by the way) they would not let me take my cameras on board - no way - not if I paid extra - nothing. So I had to check them, or check my briefcase with my laptop in it!

On that note, I would not feel comfortable checking my EX1 in the Porta-Brace I recommended earlier. It would arrive in powdered form. Definitely need something bigger with more padding.

Eric Pascarelli
January 31st, 2008, 09:26 PM
I generally shy away from Portabrace cases because they look so professional. They have "Steal Me" written across the sides of them. I'll check it out, though.

They make a black version that looks a little less "News Crew."

Steven D. Martin
February 1st, 2008, 06:39 AM
Any sense of the Pelican 1510? Pelican claims that it's their largest FAA approved carry-on case. So- a traveler could plan to carry it on (albeit with a painful search at terminal security screening), then if it cannot be accommodated on board (ala regional jet), it could be gate-checked with relatively little concern.

BUT: will the camera fit in it?

Dimensions: Outside 22"L x 14"W x 9"D, Inside 20.2"L x 11.4"W x 7.5"D

Paul Joy
February 1st, 2008, 06:47 AM
I had a 1510 for my A1, it can be closed with the Ex1 inside, but the camera is touching the top and bottom of the case so any weight on it could damage the camera.

Henry Dale
February 1st, 2008, 07:02 AM
I'm pretty sure the 1510 is the case my friend uses for his EX1. I was considering going for the same one, but opted for the 1440.
I have a couple of photos but can't post them. I'll email them to you if you want.

Mick Haensler
February 1st, 2008, 09:12 AM
I've been using the Cinebags backpack with my Z1 for a year. The EX fits but it is a bit snug with the behometh hand grip. I've traveled overseas several times with this and have always been allowed to carry it on a plane. It fits perfectly in the overhead compartment. That being said, the build is not the greatest. The zippers feel a bit weak and the main storage compartment is a bit cumbersome. The shoulder and waiste straps are very comfortable and highly adjustable. It has room for a lot of accessories and you can strap a lightweight tripod to the back. All in all it's pretty well thought out but could stand to be a bit beefier.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Steven D. Martin
February 2nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
to carry it on a plane. It fits perfectly in the overhead compartment.

How does it fit under the seat?

Craig Hollenback
February 2nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
Most of the yacht racing photogs I know keep their cameras/lenses in Igloo coolers with lots of padding. They're rather water resistant, float well and unless someone is looking to steal beer, they get left on the dock and nobody bothers them. LOL.
I have yet to get my EX1 but it will be this month...can't wait.
Best, Craig

John Snowdon
February 6th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I just flew on regional jets with my EX-1. Often you can ask the attendant to please allow you to put the bag in the closet. Last week, there wasn't room and she suggested behind the last seat in the rear of the aircraft. The Porta Brace CS-DV4 bag fit perfectly behind the seat on the B/C side. I had to wait until everyone deplaned but the camera was secure. The bag fit fine in the overhead on a 757.

John Snowdon
February 6th, 2008, 07:43 AM
On another note, in my 30 year career, I've shot in over 450 cities in the US and across 5 continents ALWAYS checking my cameras that cost $20k - $50k each. To date, I have never had a problem. Same goes for many crews I work with. I use an ATA rated case with foam insert and fill the case with a LCD monitor, batteries, cables etc.

Don't think about connecting or going through Heathrow with a camera bag and a computer bag. You will check one of them.