View Full Version : Backpack for the EX1

Jason Bodnar
January 31st, 2008, 10:35 PM
I am looking for a backpack style bag for the EX1, I have one for my DSLR setup and it works great!! I was looking for somthing very similar to this...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/319896-REG/Petrol_PCBP_2_PCBP_2_Papoose_Professional_Backpack.html

I would just order this and make it work but the EX1 dimentions say
(WxHxD) 7.2 x 7 x 12.4" (17.8 x 17.6 x 31.2 cm)

and the Backpack above says

L *: 62 cm */ 24.4 inch
W: 24.5 cm / 9.64 inch
H : 16 cm */ 6.30 inch

I am worried about the difference in Height...

Any ideas?

Jamie Baughman
January 31st, 2008, 11:35 PM
I got this one.

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=4&ProdLine=4

Check it out. Should have room for a computer and a couple other little ancillary items.

Jason Bodnar
February 1st, 2008, 12:40 AM
Jamie, the link got cut off and does not work, did you get the HB-207 or was it the GRIZZLY-3 (CBP-3)

Thanks again!!

Jamie Baughman
February 1st, 2008, 12:47 AM
hb - 205

Try this link: http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=319&cid=67&perentId=1&ProdLine=1

Jason Bodnar
February 1st, 2008, 12:56 AM
Thanks! I will check that out...Would you have room in it for the Letus extreme and rails? They obviously would probably have to be removed and placed in seperately...but would they fit? It looks like a nice one!

Simon Cox
February 1st, 2008, 02:55 AM
I picked up the slightly larger Kata HB-207.

A tad bigger than the 205 - but suits me well. Perfect for carry on luggage if you don't overload it. I get my EX1, a mic, charger, battery, 17" Macbook Pro, iPod, small hard drive, book and sundry carry on items. Great bag - there is also an optional insert trolly if you need wheels.

Piotr Wozniacki
February 1st, 2008, 03:43 AM
Simon,

Did you actually fit a 17" laptop into the 207? I have tried two models: the 207 and the BP-502; they both are said on the Kata pages to hold a laptop of up to 17" size, but in fact only the 502 does. It's huge anf heavy though - I wish I could go with the smaller and over 1 kg lighter 207...

Brendan Pyatt
February 1st, 2008, 10:50 AM
I picked up the slightly larger Kata HB-207.

A tad bigger than the 205 - but suits me well. Perfect for carry on luggage if you don't overload it. I get my EX1, a mic, charger, battery, 17" Macbook Pro, iPod, small hard drive, book and sundry carry on items. Great bag - there is also an optional insert trolly if you need wheels.

great bag! i have been using a lowpro backback but i like the removable wheels!!!

can you confirm that you have got the HB207 on as an inflight bag? on more than one airline? I travel alot and hate airlines haha!! they always give me hassle.

Michael H. Stevens
February 1st, 2008, 11:26 AM
I got the Petrol - just love it. Very well made, stylish, takes a 17" notebook and the EX1 with a matte box on it. A bit expensive at a little over $250 but I'm very pleased.

Jason Bodnar
February 2nd, 2008, 03:19 AM
Michael, are saying you have the Petrol that I opened the thread with and it works with the EX1?

Simon Cox
February 2nd, 2008, 04:17 AM
I have indeed managed to get the 17" Macbook Pro into the bag - its a bit of a struggle though and you do need to be smart about how you pack the bag.

I've taken the bag on several international flights now - every time as hand luggage without a problem - my knack is to check in my cases and always have the backpack over one shoulder whilst doing this - it doesn't look too big that way. Nice bag with good space for the odd extra item.

Piotr Wozniacki
February 2nd, 2008, 04:21 AM
I have indeed managed to get the 17" Macbook Pro into the bag - its a bit of a struggle though and you do need to be smart about how you pack the bag.

I've taken the bag on several international flights now - every time as hand luggage without a problem - my knack is to check in my cases and always have the backpack over one shoulder whilst doing this - it doesn't look too big that way. Nice bag with good space for the odd extra item.

Thanks Simon - that means my Sony Vaio 17-incher must be quite much bigger than the Macbook - it barely goes inside the 502! It's a pity, because otherwise the 207 would be enough for the EX1, and is so much lighter!

Michael H. Stevens
February 2nd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Michael, are saying you have the Petrol that I opened the thread with and it works with the EX1?

No. My Petrol is bigger. It is this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/471045-REG/Petrol_PCBP_3N_PCBP_3N_Cocoon_Backpack.html

Jason Bodnar
February 3rd, 2008, 01:14 AM
Thanks Michael...That looks like a winner, I like it!

Michael H. Stevens
February 3rd, 2008, 01:37 AM
I love it. It is so well made and very comfortable to wear. I split my sticks into two bits and hang one bit on each side - it has straps and pockets for the tripods feet, and it works real well. Looks good too and cheaper than that papoose one.

Steven D. Martin
February 10th, 2008, 09:53 AM
With EX1 and MacBook Pro inserted (and a few accessories), do you think these bags will fit under the seat in an airplane?

Michael H. Stevens
February 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM
The big Petrol I have, that holds a 17" laptop and the EX1 with matte box attached will NOT noway go under an aircraft seat. Most airlines would have you check this in as baggage.

Piotr Wozniacki
February 10th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Same with my Kata BP-502, I'm afraid - too large...

Jamie Baughman
February 10th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I have an HB-205...I haven't traveled with it yet, but I would hazard a guess that it will not fit under a seat, but would fit in the overhead.

So far, I have had a great experience with the bag. I'm carrying around the EX1, battery, charger, cables (they fit nicely in the little area on the top of the bag) and I could easily fit a wireless pack and receiver in there as well as a shotgun mic.

Chip Curry
February 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I saw mention on another post of someone removing the viewfinder to fit the camera in a smaller bag. I have yet to use the EVF and if I found a way to cover the opening would be willing to carry it as an accessory. I broke off one protruding Sony viewfinder and feel like the camera would be more compact without it. Anyone try this? I do a lot of nature videography and need to travel light.

Michael H. Stevens
February 11th, 2008, 12:22 PM
If you need to fly with your camera I would get a small bag for the camera only and check all the other stuff.

Brendan Pyatt
February 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Does the kata 205 have the compartment for a laptop?

From what i can tell on the kata website the 207 does but not the 205.

Bryan Suthard
February 11th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I bought a Tenba case for laptop and EX1. Not a backpack but probably the smallest combo laptop case you could fit the EX1 in.

http://www.tenba.com/pc-953-6-photolaptop-messenger-bag-black.aspx

Benjamin Eckstein
February 11th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I just ordered the Kata HB-207. There is a post on the first page from Simon Cox who has this bag and said it fits a 17" MacBookPro as well as the EX-1. I emailed him about it and he said it has worked as a carry-on bag. I should get it in a couple days and am flying with it in a couple weeks. Will let you all know how it looks, but coming from one user (Simon) he says thumbs up!

Keith Moreau
February 12th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I got the Kata 207, nice backpack well made. Not light, large but well balanced and holds the EX1 nicely. I like the hip straps, like a pro backpack. Not a super amount of extra room, but protects it nicely. I have the EX1 mounted with the left side toward the 'back' side of the pack. If mounted vertically it sticks out a bit too much. I have to get used to the tripod rig it has. Seems with it mounted directly behind it's a bit too much leveraged weight and not comfortable.

Simon Cox
February 12th, 2008, 01:24 AM
The Kata 207 is too big to fit under the seats on an aircraft - but fits easily inside the overhead baggage crate. I'm traveling from LA to the UK with it on Sunday and have managed a few flights so far without a hassle. I've certainly seen much larger carry on bags - especially the wheely type cases that people seem to use a lot. Weight wise, with a laptop and the camera (plus the batteries you now have to carry in hand luggage - though I'm not totally sure what the limits are - anyone know? I have one small and two large Sony batts for the EX1), it does go overweight for most carriers hand baggage allowance - so far, both Virgin and BA have turned a blind eye to this in my case. Other people undoubtedly carry heavier bags on board. I tend to pack all other equipment (mics, charger, light etc) separately to keep the weight down.

Hope this helps.

Steven D. Martin
February 13th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Thanks for all this advice. It's great to have a community like this to help make expensive purchase decisions!

My main issue regards smaller, regional jets. Flying internationally is no issue- these are always large jets with plenty of overhead bin space. BUT- in order to connect with these large jets flown from hub airports, I have to always fly a small jet from a small airport (sometimes even larger ones) to that hub. Therein lies the problem.

I have flown before on a Canadair regional jet where there were tiny overhead bins and NO closet space. If there had not been an empty seat beside me, I would have been in a real sticky spot- I would have had to either gate-check my computer, or my camera. Neither would have been an acceptable option.

If there's a bag small enough to put an EX1 plus my 15" MacBook Pro together and still fit under the seat, life is good. If not, it's a Pelican case for the EX1 and I'm checking it- taking the Lithium Ion battery out, cuz they don't like those in checked baggage anymore...

And it's sounding like there's no bag available that will do this. Am I correct?

Steven D. Martin
February 13th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I bought a Tenba case for laptop and EX1. Not a backpack but probably the smallest combo laptop case you could fit the EX1 in.

http://www.tenba.com/pc-953-6-photolaptop-messenger-bag-black.aspx

Could you post a photograph of your bag with the EX1 in it?

Brendan Pyatt
February 13th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Thanks for all this advice. It's great to have a community like this to help make expensive purchase decisions!

My main issue regards smaller, regional jets. Flying internationally is no issue- these are always large jets with plenty of overhead bin space. BUT- in order to connect with these large jets flown from hub airports, I have to always fly a small jet from a small airport (sometimes even larger ones) to that hub. Therein lies the problem.

I have flown before on a Canadair regional jet where there were tiny overhead bins and NO closet space. If there had not been an empty seat beside me, I would have been in a real sticky spot- I would have had to either gate-check my computer, or my camera. Neither would have been an acceptable option.

If there's a bag small enough to put an EX1 plus my 15" MacBook Pro together and still fit under the seat, life is good. If not, it's a Pelican case for the EX1 and I'm checking it- taking the Lithium Ion battery out, cuz they don't like those in checked baggage anymore...

And it's sounding like there's no bag available that will do this. Am I correct?

I travel alot on planes so I can understand your woes. I often travel with a stills camera & a 600mm lens - airlines can be such a pain.

For me I don't like checking expensive items when I travel due to the fact that they go missing. Insurance replaces them when I get home but not when I'm on that trip.

My advice to you would be get a bag that fits your EX1 and is allowed on a international jet. If you are faced with a regional jet that won't take it I would take off your jacket and/ borrow a blanket roll your EX1 in that and put under your seat / above your head.

That said if the EX1 will fit under your seat then I am sure there must be bag of sorts that it will fit in a go under your seat.

Steven D. Martin
February 13th, 2008, 06:30 AM
For me I don't like checking expensive items when I travel due to the fact that they go missing. Insurance replaces them when I get home but not when I'm on that trip.

My advice to you would be get a bag that fits your EX1 and is allowed on a international jet. If you are faced with a regional jet that won't take it I would take off your jacket and/ borrow a blanket roll your EX1 in that and put under your seat / above your head.

Thanks for your common sense answer! Many times I miss the obvious, low-tech solutions!

One of the reasons I purchased the EX1 was that it was smaller and more sturdy than my JVC HD100, which is very gangly and fragile in comparison. I had no choice but to put the JVC in a big Pelican case, check it, and hope for the best. I hope those days are behind me.

Zsolt Gordos
February 16th, 2008, 01:19 AM
I have the HB207 for my V1E that is smaller than EX1. If you carry full range equipment (laptop, lenses, mics, batteries, etc) you will need the 207, the 205 might be too small. Also for a 17" laptop I think its tight, even my 12" Powerbook is difficult to fit in the 207 if I carry a lot of stuff.
The InsertTrolley option is a must if you travel by plane - also very useful if you shoot in a city environment - your equipment will be super heavy after a while if you carry on your back (you have challenged your back bones anyways a lot as a videographer...)
The InsertTrolley comes with 2 settings for the wheels, a wider for balanced pull and a narrow for tight places, e.g. the aisle of a plane.

I have developed a simple "cheat" for check in. I would hate to think about what may happen to my stuff if checked in, damage, loss etc.
So I don't even show up at the check in counter with the HB207, I leave it in the car or with the person who follow me to the airport.
I check my other luggage in and carry a small sling bag as hand luggage. After check in I take my backpack and if the staff placed a hand luggage tag on my sling bag, I shift it to my backpack.
It is simple and it always worked for me.
The HB207 is not bigger for size than any other carry all bag but the weight of the stuff is usually more than 10kg, so I have no other choice but do this trick. The backpack will fit in most overhead compartment, you may need to remove the InsertTrolley and fold it up.
Have a nice flight :)

Steven D. Martin
February 16th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I got the Tenba Gen3 Messenger bag yesterday. It's a tight fit, but it works, and there's not a lot of space for all the STUFF you need to take a trip- charger, computer charger, etc. But, I think it will meet my needs- I'll have to play with it a bit to make it work, but that's the way it is with everything.

Steven D. Martin
March 2nd, 2008, 02:11 PM
For what it's worth:

I flew to Berlin with my EX1 yesterday inside my Tenba bag. My worries centered around the regional jet flight connecting to the international flight. The bag fit just fine under the seat in the Canadair Regional jet, but did NOT fit under the seat of the Airbus A330 to Frankfurt! Alas, it went well in the overhead bin.

Long and short: this was a good choice!

Benjamin Eckstein
March 2nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
I just travelled for the week with my new Kata HB-207. It fits everything great (EX-1) batteries, charger, mics, and my 17" laptop. as well as a small USB hard drive. I was concerned about getting hassled by airline people, and it certainly was not light, but I got through everywhere. Took 4 flights and it always fit in the overhead (albeit tightly on a Philly-Boston commuter jet). It is a "real" backpack and worked very well the previous week when I took my camera while snowshoeing.

Sutton Yamanashi
May 3rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Hey Guys - I appreciate your posts a bunch! Thanks!

I am in this boat at the moment - just ordered my EX1 and now trying to get a bag, case, or backpack for my needs.

I currently use a backpack to carry a laptop and books while traveling, and every time I get away carrying yet another (small) item. I also read somewhere that regulations make exceptions for camera bags... is that true? I also remember reading somewhere that TSA & airlines allow one "carry on" item and one "personal" item (i.e. purse, camera, briefcase, etc,). Is that still the case?

If so, I am thinking about getting the smallest camera bag I can find that will fit the EX1 and use my backpack for my laptop and accessories? Any thoughts?

thanks!
-sutton

Justin Carlson
May 3rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
I typically use my HB207 when flying to fit my laptop and any travel items I need while on my trip. I'll then pack my EX1 (with other accessories) in a Pelican 1560 and check it. Then when I get to my backpack to hold the camera as I hike around.
I use to carry the EX1 in the HB207 but I had a couple problems flying internationally and security asking that I check my backpack. And I really didn't want to do that with the camera in it.
If you want to carry the camera on the plane, I'd get the smallest bag possible (without the laptop in it THEN just get a sleeve for you laptop and carry that separate (like a purse).

Dan Wells
May 6th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I use the CineBags backpack with the EX1, and it will fit the camera plus a 15 inch Macbook Pro, both chargers, a couple of batteries, and some other small accessories. I am almost sure it will NOT fit a 17 inch laptop, because the 15 is already tight. I haven't flown with it yet, but my best guess is not under the seat, but yes to a normal overhead bin (it's a great deal smaller than the rollaboards executives routinely shove in the bins).I bet it'll even go in a regional jet overhead bins, although maybe not the tiny ones on some prop planes.

-Dan

Sean Seah
May 27th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Petrol has 2 options for backpacks
1. PCBP-3N (Cocoon 2) USD270
Nice and comfortable, 17" LCD but no wheels
http://www.petrolbags.com/products/Camera_Bags_I/PCBP-3/PCBP-3.htm

2. PCTB-3 USD350
Wheel type. Looks nice for air travel for the overhead compartment. Able to backpack as well
http://www.petrolbags.com/products/Camera_Bags_I/PCTB-3/PCTB-3.htm

Kata
3. HB 207 - USD265
Said to be well build and nice too. Options to add wheels!
http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=286&cid=67&perentId=1&ProdLine=1

Sean Seah
May 27th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Could someone post a photo of the EX1 in the Kata 207 bag? Thks!

Dave McCallister
May 27th, 2008, 11:33 AM
With and without shotgun/Rycote filling in space by camera handle

Velcro mounted bags hold SxS cards, cables and Zoe lens controller

Any suggestions welcome as to a better way to use the 207!

Dave McCallister

Alexander Kubalsky
May 27th, 2008, 07:07 PM
With and without shotgun/Rycote filling in space by camera handle

Velcro mounted bags hold SxS cards, cables and Zoe lens controller

Any suggestions welcome as to a better way to use the 207!

Dave McCallister

Dave, Do you have the naked lens of the EX resting straight against the inner lining of the backpack? Wont it rub against it an scratch? Or do you have a cap on it? I have the same backpack and usually carry it with the hood piece on.

Jamie Baughman
May 27th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Dave,

I have the same backpack and pack the camera the exact same way you have i with the exception that I keep the lens hood on so the cam takes up all the room top to bottom in the bag with the other sections on the side (just as you do).

Great bag.

Sean Seah
May 27th, 2008, 09:20 PM
thks for the quick response! I cant get to see the real thing here until I buy it! Will check out the Petrol bag thou.. the Cocoon is the same price range.

Dave McCallister
May 28th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Dave, Do you have the naked lens of the EX resting straight against the inner lining of the backpack? Wont it rub against it an scratch? Or do you have a cap on it? I have the same backpack and usually carry it with the hood piece on.

In order to fit the wide angle lens in the case I had to take off the lens hood. I use either a clear 77mm protective glass or a UV-Haze filter so the lens is not exposed. Maybe I can find a better way to do this and keep the hood on.

Jon Braeley
May 28th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Not sure if you can see the attached pic, but this is my kata backpack - being carried by my Chinese translator - she is less than 5 feet tall and weighs 95Ib, but she loves carrying my fully loaded backpack!
I havent seen this bag for a few years and I wish I had 2 more of them. This holds the cam, with lens hood, 3 mics, 3 batteries, chargers, xlr cables, 15inch Macbook Pro, 150G portable hardrive, a rain slick and sandwiches.
You get a set of wheels that slide thro the back, if it gets too heavy - but it feels light as a feather on your back, which is the point, especially for me, filming in mountain regions.
This will fit into overhead comps on the plane. No idea if this bag is still made though.

Sean Seah
May 28th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Hi folks. I tried the Petrol Cocoon bag today. It is VERY comfortable and the EX1 fits well. However I think the Kata 207 looks more ruggard in comparision. Other than that both are very good in the sense.

Sean Seah
May 28th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Hi Dave, I noticed u have shock mount for the mic. Sorry to OT but do u have a photo of the setup of the mic? I am considering how to mount the ME66. Thks.