View Full Version : HVX200 tips for a student

Jacob Eichert
February 22nd, 2008, 12:12 AM
Hi all I've been lurking for a while and have some questions.

I'm a film student and our film department just purchased our first HD cameras, the HVX200. We're all excited to play with them and learn everything we can. However as students we don't have the opportunity to spend large amounts of time testing, evaluating, and retesting. I get my first chance to really test it out and figure it out in a day or two and I only get 2 hours to spend with it. There is so much to learn about this camera it's a little overwhelming to start into.

Anyway my general question is what kind of tips can you provide to a film student that I can take into the field and feel like I'm a leg up and not swimming against the current. Anything you can tell me will help, even if you think it's super basic. Everyone in the department is learning these cameras at the same time so even the professors and grad students don't know much.

Thanks in advance.
Jake

R. L. Appling
February 22nd, 2008, 12:58 AM
THE ELECTRONIC FOCUS ASSIST - USE IT EVERY TIME.

1. Find the target.
2. Zoom in.
3. Hit the focus assist button. - A window appears on the LCD that super magnifies the POV.
4. Adjust your focus manually to get as sharp an image as possible.
5. Hit the Assist button again (or wait 5 seconds) and the box goes away.
6. Zoom back out to the framing you desire.

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FOCUS RING AGAIN.

DO THIS EVERY TIME.

Take it from someone who learned this the hard way...

(What the? Awwwww Man!)

Keep runnnin' n' gunnin' & Good luck!

TingSern Wong
February 22nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
Do you have a copy of Barry Green's HVX200 book? That's the best thing you ever going to read for that camera. Tells you everything about the camera that is NOT in the instruction manual. Highly recommended.

Jacob Eichert
February 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
I don't have a copy of that book. Where can I get it?

David Saraceno
February 22nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
B&HPhotoVideo sells it.

Or you can google: "Barry Green's HVX book"

:)

Jacob Eichert
February 22nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
Oh wow that's an expensive book. At least for a full time student it is. :-) Maybe I can talk the department into buying some for reference.

I did my first test shoot today and learned a little bit about the different scene file settings and played around with some custom settings. Does anyone have a good custom scene file setup that I could try out and work with?

I was trying to figure out the white balance settings and read in the manual about black balance. The manual doesn't have much about ABB and I wonder if it is something I need to think about. Does it work in conjunction with AWB or completely separate?

TingSern Wong
February 23rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
About the Barry Green's book - there is NO better book around :-). Not kidding.

Put the camera into MANUAL mode. Switch the White Balance to either A or B (not PRST). Stick a white piece of paper in the same lighting condition as you would film ... zoom into the white paper so that it fills the entire frame. Press the AWB button for at least 5 seconds (until the unit says "I got it"). It is that simple to get a good white (and black) balance.

Alaa Ghuniem
February 28th, 2008, 10:44 AM
1- the ND filter
2- did you try the vari method test it it is so nice