View Full Version : Hyperfocal Distance?

Stephen M. Webb
February 25th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Can anyone explain to me some of the practical implications for knowing hyperfocal distance? What are some situations where this information would be useful?

My main curiosity is concerning if this could be useful for eliminating or reducing the need to have precise rack focus during a dolly move. I'm shooting on a Panasonic AG-DVX100 and the size of the camera is prohibitive for racking.

This may just be amateur crazy talk, but it seems that if you were pushing in and set your lens such that the subject were towards the infinity end of your DOF, your camera move could be the length of the hyperfocal distance and still keep the subject in focus.

Does that make any sense whatsoever?

Jim Andrada
February 26th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I think in theory it should work, although everything won't be equally sharp everywhere in the range. Also, the degree of out of focus objects outside the range of "sharp" focus would be different depending where you were in the range.

For still photography probably not such a big deal as you don't get to watch sligtly out of focus objects become more (or less) out of focus in front of your eyes.

I guess it's a matter of how extreme a move you're contemplating. Why not try it and see if you're happy with the result?

Probably a matter of degree rather than an absolute works or doesn't work scenario.

Just my thoughts.