View Full Version : Sony HVR-HD100 VS GY-HD100

Randy Johnson
March 1st, 2008, 04:52 PM
I own 2 GY-HD100's I do weddings I am kinda dissapointed with my decision to get those cameras because of 2 things 1. The low light capabilitys 2. It seems like I put myself in a very limited line with lack deck options and such. plus my Firewire ports died on both my cameras and I find myself needing a deck. Before I go any deeper into the JVC line I wondered how the HVR-HD 1000 compared to the JVC are the pictures the close? is the low light performance the same? for the price of a deck it may be worth it for me to sell my GY-HD100s and get a couple Sony HVR-HD1000s.

Thanks
Randy

John Bosco Jr.
March 1st, 2008, 06:20 PM
I own 2 GY-HD100's I do weddings I am kinda dissapointed with my decision to get those cameras because of 2 things 1. The low light capabilitys 2. It seems like I put myself in a very limited line with lack deck options and such. plus my Firewire ports died on both my cameras and I find myself needing a deck. Before I go any deeper into the JVC line I wondered how the HVR-HD 1000 compared to the JVC are the pictures the close? is the low light performance the same? for the price of a deck it may be worth it for me to sell my GY-HD100s and get a couple Sony HVR-HD1000s.

Thanks
Randy

The Sony hd1000 is a good camera, but it doesn't compare to the HD100. The Sony camera is an entry prosumer camera costing under $2k. The HD100 is a high end prosumer camera which cost above $4k. The low light performance is about the same; however, the Sony has a 10x lens to the JVC's 16x. Not to mention that you have lots more control with the JVC hd100. Heck, you cannot even select the gain on the hd1000. If you want a cheap replacement for you hd100, you are not going to find it.

JVC HD100 advantages over Sony hd1000:
Three Sensors
Manual 16x lens
2 built in ND Filters
24P
Selectable Gain
More custom adjustments
XLR audio Jacks

Possible advantages of Sony hd1000 over JVC hd100:
Price
Battery Life
OIS - Optical Image Stabilization
Sony's Nightshot and Super Nightshot (Shoot in extreme low light but at a cost of grainy, colorless images)

When it comes to under $5k high end prosumer shoulder mount high definition cameras, there's nothing currently out except JVC gy hd100 and now the hd110.

Robert M Wright
March 1st, 2008, 07:07 PM
The two cameras share very little in common (aside from being shoulder mount cameras).

The GY-HD100 records 720 lines, progressive footage only (24p or 30p), while the HVR-HD1000 records 1080 lines, interlaced footage only (60i - with no progressive modes available). Both are technically HDV, but I don't think there is any device out there that can actually read tapes shot with both cameras.

The GY-HD100 is a very manually controlled camera. The HVR-HD1000 has about about as much manual control available as a consumer camcorder.

I haven't shot with either camera, but I would be really surprised if the HVR-HD1000's single 1/3" CMOS sensor could perform nearly as well as the GY-HD100's three 1/3" CCD sensors, in low light.

If you want to switch to using another camera that would be a somewhat less drastic change, but produce tapes compatible with many other cameras and decks, you might consider the Canon XH-A1.

Randy Johnson
March 1st, 2008, 07:13 PM
Great thanks for the info. Im just a little frustrated my firewire ports died on my 100s and it going to cost about $1,500 each to fix(the price I could get a sony HVR-HD1000 for) plus the only deck solution for the 100 is the $2,500 deck JVC has, sony has alot more options. I guess i'll just ride the JVC train out.

Robert M Wright
March 1st, 2008, 07:18 PM
You might want to check out this thread, for another possible repair option:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=112792

Randy Johnson
March 1st, 2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the link, I found a couple places that said they could fix it for about $600 or so but now its kinda tough call. $1,200 to fix both my camcorders or just put out $2,500 and get a deck and not have to worry about getting them fixed. I think I need to see the way JVC is going at NAB something tells me there going to try and get rid of tape somehow.

Robert M Wright
March 2nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
You might also consider the possibility of picking up a used HD1 or HD10 to use as a capture deck.

Randy Johnson
March 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
HD1 ? HD10? what are they?

William Hohauser
March 2nd, 2008, 11:10 PM

Thanks
Randy

Considering that I did a two camera shoot with both of these cameras, I crown myself able to answer your questions reasonably well.

First off the HD100 has a more robust image compared to the HD1000 but that's due to the differences between 3 chip and one chip cameras. However, the HD1000 has modestly better low light capabilities but that is also due to the differences between 3 chip and one chip cameras.

The overall quality differences are noticeable to me but possibly not to your clients or for your work. If you are used to the control the HD100 gives you while shooting, the HD1000 will be frustrating as it's a consumer HDV camera in an altered body. The lack of balanced XLR mike inputs may be a problem. The HD100s are great cameras despite the problems. The HD1000s are very good cameras despite their limitations.

The two cameras actually mixed together very well during the edit. I had to boost the chroma and do some video level adjustments on the HD1000 footage to get it looking good next to the HD100. I kept the HD1000 on close-ups since the single chip has a harsher image with details.

Randy Johnson
March 4th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the response William thats just what I was looking for.

Randy

Robert M Wright
March 4th, 2008, 09:31 PM

The HD1 and HD10 were JVC's first HDV camcorders.

Chris Hurd
March 4th, 2008, 10:00 PM

See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=74 for more info than you could possibly want to know.

Randy Johnson
March 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Can you still get these cameras? Possibly to use a HDV deck for capturing?

Robert M Wright
March 7th, 2008, 01:01 PM
They can be found used now and then. I have an HD10U that I will probably sell sometime this year.

Greg Toope
March 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah the hd1u and hd10u were decent cameras. I have an hd1u which will probably see its end of use fairly soon, as its sole purpose now is as a deck for my old 720p footage.

Johnnie Caraballo
April 20th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Considering that I did a two camera shoot with both of these cameras, I crown myself able to answer your questions reasonably well.

The overall quality differences are noticeable to me but possibly not to your clients or for your work.

The two cameras actually mixed together very well during the edit. I had to boost the chroma and do some video level adjustments on the HD1000 footage to get it looking good next to the HD100. I kept the HD1000 on close-ups since the single chip has a harsher image with details.

Wow do I find this post to be so interesting! It is the exact set up I currently have "found" myslef in.

I guess I need to start from the begining.....

Im obviously new to the business of filming weddings/events. I sort of stumbled upon this as a hobby of creating DVD movies from family photos and home videos. I got so heavily involved in using Apple's Final Cut Studio that I was soon being asked to help edit Public Service Announcements for American Airlines.

This led to a business of "editing" other peoples videos. Many have told me to get into the wedding business since the end product would be very unique compared to what is currently being provided.

An unckle in NYC gave me a JVC HD100 with all the accories you could possibly imagine. He got it for his son to shoot a Rap Video and once that fell apart it all just sat in a closet never being used.

Since I have one free camera I decided to buy the Sony HD1000 so that my Dad and I can shoot Weddings/events as a 2 camera operation.

This is my observation so far:
The look of the Sony blows away the JVC. The JVC seems to have a more smooth yet dark flat movie/film like image. Where as the Sony has a crisp hard vivid and bright image.

The Sony just seems more appropriate for Wedding/church events.

When I film and go HDMI out of the Sony to a TV its nothing short of pure 1080 yummy!

Plug the JVC into a TV and I just don't get that "WOW" factor. The image is nice but doesnt blow me away.
One last thing I noticed is that the JVC's LCD does NOT show you what you are filming!! Its horrible!! The LCD shows everything perfect meanwhile the image on TV is totally out of focus!!

At least the Sony LCD shows me EXACTLY what I'm filming.

That's my 3 cents for what its worth.

George David
April 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Johnnie, if you don't like the JVC HD100 maybe I could buy you an HD1000 and then we trade (I'm not joking).

Do you use the focus assist on the JVC? Are you shooting HDV24/30p? I just can't imagine the Sony 1080i consumer cam beating the JVC's 720p hands down. HDMI and component output from both cameras would have an equally wow image factor (other than the motion difference).

William Hohauser
April 20th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I have to agree that the HD1000 is probably better for weddings and events. The HD100 needs a bit more light and is more expensive to accesorize. The HD1000 is low priced and the wide angle lens is only $150 or less. However I am using HD100s for two concert shoots this year and not HD1000s.

That said I want your camera as well. If you ever think of selling give a line and we'll make some deal if the economy hasn't sunk everyone by then.

Johnnie Caraballo
April 21st, 2008, 05:20 AM
Do you use the focus assist on the JVC? Are you shooting HDV24/30p? I just can't imagine the Sony 1080i consumer cam beating the JVC's 720p hands down. HDMI and component output from both cameras would have an equally wow image factor (other than the motion difference).

My Dad did indeed use "Focus Assist" and shot the video in 30p in hopes that it would match the 60i on the Sony Camera. 24p looks horrid - Great for film but way too soft for weddings and just seems dull compared to the vivid colors of the Sony.

Both Cameras hooked up directly to a Plasma TV:
JVC = DVD
Sony = Blue Ray Disc

My Dad and I are seriously looking into have identical cameras and getting rid of the JVC. The JVC has MAD accessories that we don't need or use. The Hard cases for all the stuff is crazy to lug around.
Meanwhile my one soft bag for the Sony fits everything and is more convenient for grab and go shooting.

Johnnie Caraballo
April 21st, 2008, 05:21 AM
That said I want your camera as well. If you ever think of selling give a line and we'll make some deal if the economy hasn't sunk everyone by then.

I will keep in touch after talking to my Dad about it.

Ted Ramasola
May 30th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Johnnie,

Please take the time to tweak and know your JVC. I can understand what your saying because out of the box the JVC looks dull and flat, but once you tweak it using the color settings mentioned on another thread, trust me. You'll have a great camera.

The jvc hd100 a professional camera compared to a consumer camera like the sonyhd1000.

I have both cameras.

one is for weddings and events the other is used for shooting commercials and digital cinema material. Its obvious to an experienced user which is which.

Ted