View Full Version : P2 Copy Times

Dave Beaty
March 4th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I was wondering what other's experiences have been copying P2 cards to their hard drives?

We have found the fastest copy to be the Dual Adaptor to Mac Book Pro. Our 32 GB cards copy in around 18 Minutes when full. I calcultate that to be around 27MB/sec.

We also have the Panny PCD20 and that copies the same card content in 31 Minutes (why slower?) via FW800 = 16 MB/sec

The camera itself is the slowest. One card reported 2 hours before I quit and stuck it in the Dual Adaptor.

Is there a better way?

Dave B

Dan Brockett
March 4th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Hi Dave:

My MBP and Duel Adapter are mirroring your times. There is no faster method available.

Dan

Chris Li
March 5th, 2008, 09:38 AM
In his review of the $4k P2 Gear on another site, Barry Green rated it's download speed (usb2.0) at around 2gb/sec which seems about the same as the MBP/dual adapter .
Using the PC slot on my Powerbook gives me about half that speed - slightly more than 1gb/min., half-hour to dnld a 32 gb card. 1 hr for the upcoming 64gb card ?
Time to upgrade to a MBP, I guess.

chris

David Saraceno
March 5th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Just read today that the new EC 2.0 spec increases transfers times 10x.

Dan Brockett
March 5th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Just read today that the new EC 2.0 spec increases transfers times 10x.

David:

What exactly is "EC 2.0"?

Dan

Dave Beaty
March 5th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I think the bottleneck is the Firewire interface. When we copy between two FW drives or internal to external FW with P2 content, same speeds as from the Dual or very close.

The PCD20 card reader is slower and I was told that this device actually has a PC board inside with a small processor that converts the PCMCIA ports to FW. That's why it's expensive, because it's not just passive. They said it even has lynx code to make that conversion happen.

I want an external harddrive with PCMCIA reader and Anton Bauer mount. One button copies card to HD....and please make the HD removable.

Dave B

David Saraceno
March 6th, 2008, 11:24 AM
It is version 2.0 of ExpressCard protocol/spec with maximum speeds doubling to 5Gbps (gigabits per second).

The upcoming standard is based on PCI Express 2.0 and USB 3.0, and is being developed by industry organization Personal Computer Memory Card International Association (PCMCIA).

The current version is Express Card 1.0.

I was incorrect in the 10x statement. It only doubles the speed.