View Full Version : Purchasing PMW-EX1 from other continent

Alessandro Zumstein
March 4th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Hello, i live in Switzerland and want purchase a PMW-EX1. In my country i pay CHF9400 (9050USD) and on BH photovideo i pay 7080USD.
My quesions are:
- Have anyone purchased his PMW-EX1 by BH Photovideo? And what he think about (have the display death pixes after shipping?)?

- It is secure purchase a 7000$ product from other continents?

Sorry for this questions, but i am a student and i have not money for risk

Steven Thomas
March 4th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe B&H Video's policy will not sell it out of the USA.

BTW, B&H Video is probably the largest video distributor, period. They are very strong in the business. I've been buying from them for years,

Now, nothing is to stop you from taking a plane and flying to NY USA to visit.
;)

Dean Harrington
March 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM
You will need support and your dealer is someone you need to have at your back. I live in Japan and have had good service from mine. You buy out of your area, you take the chance of no support.

Jim Martin
March 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Gruezi Allesandro! I got to Zug every 6 months. If you buy from B&H, your warranty will be here in the US. If you can live with that, go ahead. If you get it bad out of the box, I'm sure you can send it back and they would send you another.

tschees,

Jim Martin
Birns & Sawyer

Alexander Kubalsky
March 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM
You will need support and your dealer is someone you need to have at your back. I live in Japan and have had good service from mine. You buy out of your area, you take the chance of no support.

I totally agree with that. Its best to buy local.
Dean, I also live in Japan and bought my EX1 here. Which daeler did you buy from?
Alex.

Giroud Francois
March 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I purchase almost all my video equipement from BH and the little stuffs from ebay (Australia, USA, China etc...)
Since many years everything goes ok, never been disappointed.
Sony makes very good products and support around the world is excellent.
The only problem with the Ex-1 is that US Shop will not deliver outside US (because Sony request) so it is currently not possible to purchase from BH.
Except if you find a friend who will do that for you and send it.
There is a worldwide support you can buy (Mack) that is a bit tricky, but it should work anywhere in the world.

Dean Harrington
March 4th, 2008, 07:41 PM
What about you?

Alexander Kubalsky
March 4th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Actually, having just said I agree its good to have your dealer close by... Im now bipassing my dealer and going directly to sony with maintenance stuff. Saves time and easy to do , here anyway.
Dean, do you have a website or contact address? Dont know any other Ex owners in town.
A.

Joel Klein
March 4th, 2008, 10:40 PM
have a local frind buy it from b&h and ship it to you

Sean Seah
March 4th, 2008, 11:57 PM
OR u can order from Expandore. They are pretty professional. I buy from them locally and they r reg by Sony.

http://www.expandore.biz/sitemap.asp#2

John Woo
March 5th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I bought my EX1 from Expandore 3 weeks ago with 2 years extended MACK warranty which is recognise worldwide by SONY. SO far, I can say Expandore price is one of the lowest and they also ship international. By the way, I am not their employee.

Robb Cox
March 5th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I bought my EX1 from Expandore 3 weeks ago with 2 years extended MACK warranty which is recognise worldwide by SONY. SO far, I can say Expandore price is one of the lowest and they also ship international. By the way, I am not their employee.

Agreed, I bought my EX1 from Expandore 2 weeks ago.. No problems and a great price.

Alessandro Zumstein
March 5th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Hello, i have another questions:
- By purchasing the PMW-EX1 is the Sony Prime Suport included?
- When i have problems with the camera, how it forks? Must i send the camera at Expandmore or can i send my camera to an official Sony service center in my country?
- It exist only one PMW-EX1 camera, or it exist other models (PMW-EX1E/U/P/N) or is the only difference, the AC cord?
- Are there a german and italian user manuals in the box, when i buy the camera by Expandmore?

Oyvind Stokkan
March 5th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Cheapest i could find in europe is creative video .co .uk. Including 2 year prime support and 2 8gb cards. Perfect!

Dean Harrington
March 5th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I totally agree with that. Its best to buy local.
Dean, I also live in Japan and bought my EX1 here. Which daeler did you buy from?
Alex.

Drop me a line; dean@spinfish.tv

Michael Mann
March 5th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Hello, i have another questions:
- By purchasing the PMW-EX1 is the Sony Prime Suport included?
- When i have problems with the camera, how it forks? Must i send the camera at Expandmore or can i send my camera to an official Sony service center in my country?
- It exist only one PMW-EX1 camera, or it exist other models (PMW-EX1E/U/P/N) or is the only difference, the AC cord?
- Are there a german and italian user manuals in the box, when i buy the camera by Expandmore?

Just called Prime Support in the UK (good for us European costomers):
They say the worldwide Mack-support from B&H and other sellers is NOT good for Sony Prime Support. As long as it is not covered by Prime Support they even wouldn't repair a defect EX1 for cash payment. Hard to believe!

George Kroonder
March 5th, 2008, 03:06 PM
The warranty in the U.S. is totally different than in Europe. It is more limited and shorter. Even with MACK-type warranty, which will cover warranty repairs, you will not get the same service as Prime Support.

Should you buy 'overseas/import' you will have no access to Prime Support and will have to use US telephone support (at U.S. Business Hours!) which cannot schedule repairs in Europe. Expect some difficulty.

In Europe Prime Support covers 2 years, parts and labour as well as telephone assistence. It has a repair time of max. 7 days and offers a replacement camera if repairs are expected to take longer. Also the European 'version' comes with the BP-U60 battery instead of the U30.

There were some good introduction deals around here, and feel free to look for them in any EU country, however should you need support it is much easier to have it in your own language and close to you.

George/

P.S. CHF 9400 < EUR 6000 is actually not a bad price...

Piotr Wozniacki
March 5th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Also the European 'version' comes with the BP-U60 battery instead of the U30.

Since when? I had to buy the BP-U60 extra...

Phil Bloom
March 5th, 2008, 06:02 PM
not in the UK it doesn't

Phil Bloom
March 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Cheapest i could find in europe is creative video .co .uk. Including 2 year prime support and 2 8gb cards. Perfect!

Solid company but you are asking for trouble talking about this on DVi due to it's policy of only talking about site sponsors. Creative Video aren't but they are Sony dealers and very good. Got both my XDCAMs from them. Better get that in before the thread is closed!!

Robb Cox
March 6th, 2008, 03:55 AM
not in the UK it doesn't

Nor in the Singapore or Australian versions...

John Bain
March 6th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Robb,

Please clarify - I am a little confused. Is the BP-U60 supplied on Singapore & Australian models as standard?

Michael Mann
March 6th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I'd like to come back to the subject:
If Europeans buy the EX1 in the US or elsewhere outside Europe - is there any chance at all to get the cam repaired IN EUROPE? (Against payment, of course!)
The reason I ask is that Prime support told me they wouldn't repair it even if I'd pay for it.

Phil Bloom
March 6th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Robb,

Please clarify - I am a little confused. Is the BP-U60 supplied on Singapore & Australian models as standard?

He said it isn't supplied as standard

Phil Bloom
March 6th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I'd like to come back to the subject:
If Europeans buy the EX1 in the US or elsewhere outside Europe - is there any chance at all to get the cam repaired IN EUROPE? (Against payment, of course!)
The reason I ask is that Prime support told me they wouldn't repair it even if I'd pay for it.

You send it back to the US via courier, they repair it under warranty then they send it back to you. That is what I did when my HDV deck bought from B&H went down. It's a bit of a pain with customs though

Michael Mann
March 6th, 2008, 01:30 PM
It's a bit of a pain with customs though.
Did customs try to charge you a second time?

Phil Bloom
March 6th, 2008, 01:34 PM
No but lots of hassle both ends, the USA and the UK. If you get charged you can appeal and get the money back. But you have to declare true value and some customs guys can be quite difficult. It slows things down.

The silver support from Europe is second to none and worth paying the extra cash for the camera for.

Example. My F350 had a blown firewire port. They sent me an empty box on the Friday, on the Monday I put the camera in it. They picked it up straight away and sent it to their repair centre in France. Wednesday morning is was back to me fixed.

Think about costs of hiring a loan camera for the 3 to 4 weeks it will be away in the states for.

George Kroonder
March 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM
he European 'version' comes with the BP-U60 battery
Since when? I had to buy the BP-U60 extra...

Sorry, that may have just been an introductory offer from a local reseller then.

George/

Percy Tienhooven
March 8th, 2008, 11:27 AM
George, does the free SxS card from the rebate also aplies in the Netherlands?

Ordered my ex-1 two months ago and the reseller said it will be here next week. I thought i was to late for the rebate stuff but i see they extended it till the end of march? but also for European people?

(sorry for a bit offtopic tho)