View Full Version : E-Bay Articulated Boom Mike Pole - NONONO

Chris Swanberg
March 7th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I feel ashamed, but I also know no one here is above trying to save a buck... so a word of caution....is in order.

I have seen the painter's pole DIY pole setups... I admit I like the price.... but I mean they were "straight". Then I saw the E-Bay seller who is advertising "articulated boom poles" with shock mount.... Hmmmm $70 plus shipping..... under $100.... sounded good.

I bit.

I got mine.... and my first impression was "MAN is this thing HEAVY!"...

Then I noticed something... which led me to investigate a similarity to a mike stand I had.... yep... you guessed it... the "articulated "pole" is nothing more than a mike boom stand without the base!!! No WONDER it was so heavy!

So what I got for my money was part of a mike boom stand, and a decent little shock mount.... which I will use on my painter's pole.

Live and learn, but I wanted to share.... so others may avoid my bad experience.

Chris Swanberg
March 7th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Just realized this should have gone into the audio forum, hope a mod will move it... sorry !

Nicole Hankerson
February 20th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Does anybody use an articulated pole in their setup? The new set I'm working on actually has them and I like the fact that I can get a good angle and not have to hold the stick over my head really. Great pole but the only thing I hate about it is the fact that the knob that turns to allow the articulated part to move up and down moves a lot and can make a loud/unwanted noise if touched/moved during recording.

Nicole
www.myspace.com/misscc803