View Full Version : Ghosting problem!

Rob LaPoint
March 12th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Hi everybody, I just bought an HV20 (something ive been wanting to do since it came out!) I am worried though as I am seeing significant ghosting especially of high contrast areas. I have recorded in all modes (hdv, hdv24, and dv) and have increased the shutter speed. I know what low shutter looks like and 24p cadence and this is nothing like that. Does anyone else have this problem or do I have a bum camera? I will try to post a screencap in an hour or two, just thought someone else might have had trouble with this. Thanks everybody!

Eugenia Loli-Queru
March 12th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Might just be the de-interlacing algorithm of your video editor. For example, if you don't pick a good one on FCP, you might end up with really bad ghosting. Same goes for Vegas when I use "blend fields" instead of "interpolation": http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/images/interlaced.png

Andy Wilkinson
March 12th, 2008, 11:30 PM
What monitor and/or TV are you using to view this ghosting???? Some are much worse than others and it depends on things like refresh rate etc. All I'm saying is that it might be a PC issue, nothing to do with your camera.

Rob LaPoint
March 13th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I went into the garage and dug out an old crt monitor and POOF problem solved! I have never noticed any significant ghosting on my monitors or tv before but it must be there, because its not coming from my camera. Sorry for the false alarm!