View Full Version : Sony Z7U Owners - Lens Issue - Please Read

Marshall Levy
March 15th, 2008, 09:18 PM
For everyone who owns the Z7U....

...check the following:

1>Auto focus
>>>How long does it take to focus, regardless of zoom level? Is it locked on or does it like searching? Extremely slow. Some users are experiencing up to 3-second delay to lock on a target, others are experiencing no auto focus and constant searching.

2>With the lens in Servo mode (switch is in the front bottom left), do the following:
a. Zoom into something, regardless of what, but use the actual ring (holding onto the little knob)
b. Let the camera focus and then just tap the knob.
c. Does the image shift / move at all?
*. It appears that the lens is very loose and this issue, while Sony might say it's normal, would totally screw up certain shots, in that the slightest touch changes the view by about 1/32nd of an inch based on the LCD screen.

I'm gathering an approximate number of people who are experiencing this issue as it seems to be consistent with almost all cameras currently available. I'll be talking to my Sony reps this week to find resolution on some of this.

PM, post, or call me w/ any questions.

Jaums Sutton
March 16th, 2008, 06:23 AM
1>Auto focus
>>>How long does it take to focus, regardless of zoom level? Is it locked on or does it like searching? Extremely slow. Some users are experiencing up to 3-second delay to lock on a target, others are experiencing no auto focus and constant searching.

2>With the lens in Servo mode (switch is in the front bottom left), do the following:
a. Zoom into something, regardless of what, but use the actual ring (holding onto the little knob)
*. It appears that the lens is very loose and this issue, while Sony might say it's normal, would totally screw up certain shots, in that the slightest touch changes the view by about 1/32nd of an inch based on the LCD screen.

2> Do this in manual or auto mode?
2> a. Hold onto what little knob?

Marshall Levy
March 16th, 2008, 07:38 AM
2> Do this in manual or auto mode?
2> a. Hold onto what little knob?[/QUOTE]

***Either manual or auto, as long as the lens is set to Servo mode

***The knob is the little "thing" to help move the lens ring...not sure how else to explain it...black, about 1/3", round, on left of zoom lens, goes up and down.....

Marshall Levy
March 17th, 2008, 08:49 AM
This issue was just confirmed by Sony as not being normal. Some cameras have a tight mechanism, others are loose and have play to them.

So...this is what needs to be done at this point...

Call Sony at 1-800-883-6817

Follow the prompts, mention the issue, and have it documented, as well as requesting a follow-up call and what you would like in terms of it being fixed.

They have confirmed that this should not be happening, so now it's just a matter of getting them to do something.

Bruce Reynolds
March 21st, 2008, 12:06 AM
mine is lose also, I have been shooting every in manual since my 1st wedding that I was having some much trouble staying in focus on auto whereas my FX1 never does this. I don't know how close yours can be to an object and still focus even in manual but mine at 2.7 ft want focus on a cd when the zoom ring is at 52.8, I have to turn it down to 30 to be able to focus. I would think a $6000 camera with a better lens would prove to be better then a $3000 camera???? I like to shoot in auto when things are changing fast and this camera drifts in and out of focus all the time so I switched to manual or use my FX1.

Marshall Levy
March 21st, 2008, 01:31 AM
With 650~ views, there are no posts to this? Makes no sense.

Here's another fun issue that I've now seen myself and others have been experiencing...

Film several short clips with the CF device and the beginning few frames will appear jagged or another color for some reason, and upon stopping recordation, you will lose part of the end of whatever is filmed. Some files cannot be brought into Premiere, either.

It's really disappointing that these issues are common throughout EVERY camera and nothing is being done about it yet...I'm supposed to be getting a call this coming week so we'll see what happens, but everyone who owns these cameras really needs to call Sony and make a case. Otherwise, nothing will get done.

Bruce Reynolds
March 21st, 2008, 12:30 PM
I get the same thing on short clips, if I bring them into Premiere and you look at the 1st frames they are red, if I try and play these in Premiere it crashes and I get message "sorry a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere to shut down". I shoot a lot of short clips during bridal prep and photo sessions. On long clips its ok. Some clips start off green then fade into the picture and there ok. The tape is ok. My friend John has the same trouble with his but Edius will play them. I have sent some of these clips to Sony to look at. I lost the Sony # I'll have to call Aramtos to get it but the tech I sent the clips to is Dominic at dominic.pellegrino@am.sony.com.
I have recorded lots of short and long clips by just pushing the record button on the back of the MRU unit and they all were ok.?? I also tried the MRU unit with my VX2000 coming out the firewire and the camera won't control it but you can use the rec and stop button on the MRU unit. Records SD avi and when brought into Adobe or Matrox the clips need to be renderd--Bruce

Stephen Gradin
March 21st, 2008, 01:35 PM
I'll be shooting a wedding with 2 of my new Z7U cameras on Saturday and I'll report on both of these issues on Monday. On initial testing, both with focusing and with importing footage into Adobe Premiere CS3, I have not had these problems. In fact, so far I am very pleased with the cameras. The real test, of course, will be this weekend. Stay tuned...

Ian Campbell
March 21st, 2008, 11:10 PM

It's really disappointing that these issues are common throughout EVERY camera and nothing is being done about it yet...I'm supposed to be getting a call this coming week so we'll see what happens, but everyone who owns these cameras really needs to call Sony and make a case. Otherwise, nothing will get done.

I look forward to hearing what Sony has to say to you next week about the Z7U issues. If your experiece is anything like mine . . . be prepared to fight to get Sony to take the proper action that their customer bases deserves --especially when an entire production run is defective. Feel free to email me.. Aside from other Sony model problems, we just opened two new Z7U's to find they have both the focus problem and the lens issue. Haven't had much time to play with them, but one camera doesn't hunt for focus as much as the other.
Ian

Marshall Levy
March 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM
03/24 UPDATE

Oh, if only everyone knew how many hours I've spent on the phone....ridiculous. Here's the story for those that want something done about this...

>You MUST MUST MUST call Sony and report the issues if it's affecting your cameras. They didn't have enough calls to warrant a mass repair / recall as of last Friday and for all of those who own the cameras that ARE experiencing any of these issues, it's quite foolish not to make it known.

>Will have an answer from Sony mfg (from Japan) sometime today or tomorrow.

>Current status - Sony is gathering info to do a repair/recall/fix on some models based on resellers and are currently trying to determine if it was certain batches or all cameras. If a recall does take place, S/H will be covered by Josh/Cindy. For specs, either contact one of them or myself.

>Other fun issues - rolling-shutter - I think it's blown out of proportion A LOT but it's horrible when it happens - spoke w/ a Sony rep last Friday about this, too.....we'll see what happens.

Stephen Gradin
March 25th, 2008, 02:59 PM
After shooting with the Z7U this past weekend, I have an update. I have not seen all of the footage yet, but I plan on editing this week and will see all the footage in short order. I'll do a follow up, if something else is worth reporting.

1. Yes, there seems to be problems with auto focus, which is too bad. I have not discerned why this happens, it seems sporadic. I was under low light conditions when it happened. I remember the background was brighter than the foreground subjects I was filming. I've had this problem before under these conditions with other auto focus cams, but it really is obvious with the Z7U. When it happens, you'll know it. Actually, I'm glad it's obvious. I would not want to be upset looking at out of focus footage on a monitor, days after I thought everything looked fine in the viewfinder. I do manual focus almost all the time anyway, so this does not really bother me too much. But it would be nice to use it once in awhile (folks walking towards/away from the camera, etc.) I do like the constant feet distance readout in the viewfinder (when you slide the zoom ring to manual position). I use that on wide lens, when there's no time to zoom in/out (since the zoom motor is a bit slow). I'm wondering if this problem is at all related to the fact that this camera uses CMOS chips, with the rolling shutter. Does anyone know if the V1U has this problem?

2. I did not have any major trouble with the CF memory cards. I use Sandisk 16 gig, 133S cards. I DID NOT use Cache recording, but I did use Syncro. I try not to stop and then start recording quickly, unless I mistakenly stop before I should. It appears the card needs a couple of seconds to save each shot, before recording the next shot. I did have one clip, about 60 seconds, that would not play properly in Premiere. I have no idea why. It would play in Adobe Bridge okay, but would freeze Adobe Premiere and also disable my HD monitor display (screen goes to black). I use Matrox RT.X2 with Dell 24 inch HD Computer display monitor. I didn't need that clip, so I just deleted it from my hard drive. If I really needed it, I have it on tape. All my other clips seemed fine, no dropouts, very clean. Only thing, it took longer than I thought to download footage to computer. Not so much the actual transfer, but the indexing and conforming that Premiere does. That took about as long as the transfer.

3. As far as the zoom ring being loose, I find that somewhat an issue on the professional cameras I use, the Sony 790 and HD 750. So, I am used to that. I don't notice it being too loose on my Z7U's, just a little. Not a big deal, just something to be careful when reaching for the lens to make adjustments. I think the lens is quite nice, with the manual iris switch and temporary auto iris button being where it should be. Just wish it would zoom in a little farther and do auto focus better.

Let me know if Sony does or already has addressed any lens issues or who to contact about the auto focus problem, my only real complaint right now.

Chad Dyle
March 25th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I shot a wedding monday night (yes, monday night) and this problem happened to me. I was recording to both tape and CF at the same time and I plan on posting a clip later today. The only time I noticed it was when I zoomed down the aisle to get the bridesmaids walking up. It also seemed to happen roughly at the same distance. There wasn't anything that I noticed the camera hunting for (lights, candles, sparkly stuff). I've shot in this church tons of times with the FX-1 and XH-A1 and never noticed this.

Bruce Reynolds
March 30th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Have been working with Sony tech Dominic about the CF card recording trouble and the auto focus, he keeps sayng there' not getting these reports but I know 3 people here in Florida that have these problems. The bad clips freeze adobe pro CS2, but work in CS3. Here's is the link I gave to Sony on the trouble with my CF cards on short clips. A video of the 1st 14 clips from the CF card. 22 out of 54 were like these bad ones.
link to video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVJIHy7NA-Q

Marshall Levy
March 31st, 2008, 07:45 AM
Have been working with Sony tech Dominic about the CF card recording trouble and the auto focus, he keeps sayng there' not getting these reports but I know 3 people here in Florida that have these problems. The bad clips freeze adobe pro CS2, but work in CS3. Here's is the link I gave to Sony on the trouble with my CF cards on short clips. A video of the 1st 14 clips from the CF card. 22 out of 54 were like these bad ones.
link to video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVJIHy7NA-Q

I've been in contact with some reps from NJ and Japan and they're trying to figure out a solution to these issues. One of the 'problems', though, is that practically no one has called and made a case and if that remains then it's only natural for Sony to assume everything, on a large scale, is fine. So, until people start making light of these issues who knows what will happen.

Bruce Ostrout
March 31st, 2008, 09:38 AM
I've been in contact with some reps from NJ and Japan and they're trying to figure out a solution to these issues. One of the 'problems', though, is that practically no one has called and made a case and if that remains then it's only natural for Sony to assume everything, on a large scale, is fine. So, until people start making light of these issues who knows what will happen.

I called and waited in queue and then it rolled over to an answering machine and I left the info requested and my issues. 2 weeks later have not received a call back. Right after I called them Josh at VSA called and said he put me on the issues list, so I assume that is good enough documentation....

Steve Gerhart
March 31st, 2008, 11:09 AM
I called and waited in queue and then it rolled over to an answering machine and I left the info requested and my issues. 2 weeks later have not received a call back. Right after I called them Josh at VSA called and said he put me on the issues list, so I assume that is good enough documentation....

Bruce, I feel your pain but hang in there. I actually had one of my best service done by a sony tech in Teaneck, NJ, replaced a tape transport on a 400L and it works better than new, when you have time appreciate a upload on multiple flashes clip
thnx

Brian Rhodes
March 31st, 2008, 01:25 PM

I have had this problem but it was always at the beginning of some clips. What type of CF cards are you using?

Marshall Levy
March 31st, 2008, 01:32 PM
Don't think it has anything to do with the CF cards, at least in part based on some elements I looked at in the review I did....but I have Lexar 300x, Sandisk 16G-133X, Transcend 32G-133X, and some others. The file/blocking issues is completely sporadic in my case....so who knows what's causing it.

Robert Bec
March 31st, 2008, 03:05 PM
I have used the camera and never had a problem because i use it in manual mode use auto outside if you like other then that manual
From always using pro lenses i only feel wright using manual

Rob.

Arnaud Keil
March 31st, 2008, 04:24 PM

Here's another fun issue that I've now seen myself and others have been experiencing...

Film several short clips with the CF device and the beginning few frames will appear jagged or another color for some reason, and upon stopping recordation, you will lose part of the end of whatever is filmed. Some files cannot be brought into Premiere, either.

Hello Marshall, can you say which CF cards do you use with the Z7? Make, speed, size?

Marshall Levy
April 1st, 2008, 10:35 AM
For everyone who owns the Z7U....

I need you to check the following:

1>Auto focus
>>>How long does it take to focus, regardless of zoom level? Is it locked on or does it like searching?

If you don't own this camera, do not post. I need to get a list of anyone with this issue ASAP.

PM or call me w/ any questions.

------
03/17 Monday - UPDATE

This issue was just confirmed by Sony as not being normal. Some cameras have a tight mechanism, others are loose and have play to them.

So...this is what needs to be done at this point...

Call Sony at 1-800-883-6817

Follow the prompts, mention the issue, and have it documented, as well as requesting a follow-up call and what you would like in terms of it being fixed.

They have confirmed that this should not be happening, so now it's just a matter of getting them to do something.

---

03/21 UPDATE

---

03/24 UPDATE

Oh, if only everyone knew how many hours I've spent on the phone....ridiculous. Here's the story for those that want something done about this...

>You MUST MUST MUST call Sony and report the issues if it's affecting your cameras. They didn't have enough calls to warrant a mass repair / recall as of last Friday and for all of those who own the cameras that ARE experiencing any of these issues, it's quite foolish not to make it known.

>Will have an answer from Sony mfg (from Japan) sometime today or tomorrow.

>Current status - Sony is gathering info to do a repair/recall/fix on some models based on resellers and are currently trying to determine if it was certain batches or all cameras. If a recall does take place, S/H will be covered by Josh/Cindy. For specs, either contact one of them or myself.

>Other fun issues - rolling-shutter - I think it's blown out of proportion A LOT but it's horrible when it happens - spoke w/ a Sony rep last Friday about this, too.....we'll see what happens.

---

03/27 Update

>I've put more calls in with Sony and nothing has transpired. Not sure what's going on, but I was told that not enough people have stated anything, but I'll see if anything happens on Friday. It's just disheartening with some of this....

---

03/31 Update

>Sony's deciding on what to do with all of the issues....those who purchased teh camera from Josh/VSA will have any applicable shipping charges covered. Confirmed issues are auto-focus (or lack thereof), play in the lens in servo mode, and invalid video files when recording to CF media.

---

04.01 Update

Woohoo!!! Getting somewhere! Just spoke with a Sony rep and it's looking good! Channels are being contacted and Sony is in contact with Carl Zeiss right now. I'm supposed to get a call today or tomorrow with an update on what should be taking place. Issues, as noted, are consistent with every camera. Email/call/PM with questions.

Hedley Wright
April 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM
Just received my (UK) model)

1>Auto focus
>>>How long does it take to focus, regardless of zoom level? Is it locked on or does it like searching?
Seems ok, although perhaps not as fast as my Z1E.

Yes

Marshall Levy
April 2nd, 2008, 05:16 PM
---

04.02 Update

Had a conference call this afternoon with two Sony reps. It was a very good call and quite decent. Here's the story based on the initial issues being noted.

CF Recordation issues - pending. They haven't been able to duplicate it themselves and I'm hoping to do it again. I'm trying to see if I can get a Sony CF card for testing purposes. If anyone, who has had the invalid media problem, has any problematic files, I need them - call/post/PM me as soon as possible.

Auto Focus - while we may not be too thrillled with it, it's the lens and is normal - no problems or issues found. It's just a slow lens that likes to hunt; so film accordingly.

Lens Play in Servo Mode - This was initially brought up by another Z7U owner with regards to the assumption of a lens problem based on the 1/4" extra movement in the zoom ring when in servo mode. I looked at other manual lenses and noticed slight play in them as well. Based on these findings, as well as talking with Sony, the lens play is to avoid overcranking the ring, breaking and/or misaligning the internal gears.

Long story short....the issues that were mentioned and of a concern are, at present, normal operations of the cameras and are not defects.

If anyone is unhappy with this please contact me or your reseller for more information as to what alternatives might be.

Regarding the Rolling Shutter - it's normal based on CMOS technology and has nothing to do with camera functionality.

If you have any additional questions please let me know.

Paul Therrien
April 2nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
So Marshall, you are telling me that other lenses on other cameras like the EX1 or the JVC, or even the larger full size cameras have this play? This is normal?

I have a very hard time believing this. They may deem it normal, but I highly doubt this level of play is normal.

The idea that it prevents overcranking... are you saying it stops someone from hurting the lens in servo mode by allowing it to move? I see, so when you reach for the lens and by accident you brush the zoom knob and the image jumps that is just a SONY warning that if you go further it may hurt the lens? Is that right? Yeah...ok.

Well, that is too bad. We are stuck with a lens that is far too slow to focus, sloppy and loose. Even though some do not have the issue, this is just a normal function? Yeah...ok.

How about just selling the body and letting people order the lens that suits them? Cut the price $1500 more and solve the issue of us wasting money on a lens that is not well designed.

I hope other companies like Canon take note and put out a camera that proves you can actually make a lens without this rediculous play.

2 camera launches from Sony and how many issues total between the 2? It's crazy! I had a Canon A1.... do a search and see if you can find anything about defects and recalls and malfunctioning lenses etc. It didn't happen.

This is just a bad choice in design that got approved by corporate Sony. They should be better and know better because they are better then this.

Just my opinion

Paul

Chad Dyle
April 2nd, 2008, 11:29 PM
How do I "film accordingly" with a lens that likes to hunt? I've shot at the same locations, time and time again, with no problems from the FX-1. The Z7U has lost focus on people walking down the aisle in all of the weddings I have shot with it so far. If this is normal, I'll probably be selling them off real soon for more FX-1's. I really loved their low-light capabilities though :(
I will also be attending NAB this year. I plan on speaking with Sony about this. When reading about this camera months before it came out, I remember the articles talking about the wedding videography industry. If anyone knows that article I'm talking about, please link. I'd like to show it to a Sony rep at their booth.

Steve Gerhart
April 3rd, 2008, 05:28 AM
Hello Chad, I don't own the FX-1 or Z7U but have used Sony 400L and Jvc 5100 and 300u at weddings and never used auto focus because they didn't even have the function. So the FX-1 can lock on a moving subject in low lite and maintain focus? I have trained my guys to zone focus in that situation mostly from 20ft to 7ft shifting focus ring as people walked toward them, that is why the real lens has an advantage for my style

One thing I don't quite understand is this from Sony that states "<I>To address back-focus concerns, the Zeiss 14X and 8X zooms maintain automatic back-focus adjustment (akin to the automated back-focus routine in the EX1's service menu)".</I>

Also the digital “focus marking” in the viewfinder is exactly what I want but I want it with CCD

Any more footage from multiple flashes?

Chad Dyle
April 3rd, 2008, 06:17 AM
Steve,

The FX-1's did have its shortcomings, but I never had a problem. Like I previously posted, we shoot in a lot of the same churches and are familiar with how the cameras react. A bride walking down the aisle shouldn't be a tough shot. I've posted video showing how the camera "hunts" as people are walking towards it.
Another problem we are running into is during the reception. I put the camera on a monopod and hold it a few feet above my head in order to get some large crowd shots. Being that far away from the lcd, I can't see how the focus is holding up. Again, I never worry about this with the FX-1.
We are shooting 90+ weddings in 2008 and I really don't have the time to worry about the camera like this. Maybe I bought this camera to quickly and got over excited from reading the forums. It might have not been the right choice for me.

Juan Martinez
April 4th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Hello I work for Sony,

All manual lenses normally have some backlash on the zoom servo gear mechanism. These gears are straight-cut so the slider on the bottom can mesh or un-mesh the gears (servo/ manual). Therefore, they cannot be made very tight. Helical gears will not have backlash but would not be able to easily engage and disengage. If you look at other lenses you will find that some costing more than the complete Z7 exhibit backlash too. Most likely you are accidentally hitting the post on the zoom ring. I recommend that you unscrew and remove the post. This is common practice by all ENG, Production and Film camera operators.

Juan Martinez
Senior Manager, Sony Electronics

Chad Dyle
April 4th, 2008, 10:24 PM
So it seems that Sony has confirmed that the Auto-focus isn't a problem. I only know the wedding videographers in my area, but none of them use the larger "pro" cameras. I guess I thought the Z7U was going to be as easy to handle as the FX-1 with some better features. I really don't like the idea of zooming out while keeping focus of the bride. I guess with some practice I could do it, but this is our busiest season of the year and no real time for practice.

I'll be at NAB next week and I'll talk to Sony then. I have a feeling that my pair of Z7U's will be up for a sale and I'll be buying another pair of FX-1's :(

Paul Therrien
April 6th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Juan,

Thanks you for the info regarding the lens play.

At least I understand the issue now. Obviously it doesn't make me like it, but at least I understand it.

That is too bad it can't be worked out. It just makes it feel cheap, and it allows the image to jump if you mistakenly touch the zoom ring. Which I know I will more then I want to even if I take the knob off.

Thanks again for posting the info.

Paul

Adam Folickman
April 10th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Chad,

Let us know what you find out at NAB.

All,

The Auto Focus issue I have annoying seen on my Z7U and like Marshall, Chad and Paul, I refuse to believe that this is normal. I think that Sony doesn't want to address and own up to this flaw. You notice that Juan didn't give any response about it and Marshall, on your call with Sony, they said this is normal ??!! That is not true, not on a $6000 camera.

Do we have any further course of action that we can take regarding the lens focus problem ?

Adam

Adam Folickman
April 10th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Early this morning I called Sony and left a message for a service technician to call me back. I got a phone call about 10 hours later on today from a service technician at Sony in Teaneck, NJ. I described the auto-focus problems to him and he basically said that the issues I reported are not problems and are normal for the lens on the Z7U. He also suggested I use manual focus more than using auto focus.

I didn't feel it was worth the effort and energy to debate with him that I disagree with him but he told me that if I am not satisfied, I could send my Z7U into Teaneck and they would check it over for me but that he doubts there is any problem with the lens.

So there you have it. I guess I am just going to have to live with it because otherwise, I really like the Z7U.

Adam

Marshall Levy
April 10th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Yeah, it is what it is. Just one of those things we must live with, but I do think it's a failure and oversight on behalf of the camera's production.

Marco Dias
April 10th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I personally think that they should have made the lens on the Z7 built into the body of the camcorder like the FX1/Z1.

90% of users will never change lenses anyway.

I film weddings and a good auto focus on a camcorder is very important.
Things happen fast at a wedding and you need auto focus to get certain shots.

Sony has messed up, I will keep my FX1...

Regards

Bruce Reynolds
April 16th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Marshall, I and my friend in Ft Laurdale have had these issues since we got these Z7 the 1st of March. I have talked to Dominic at Sony and Dennis at Armartos about these faults also have sent them link on youtube to the CF card faults--haven't heard a thing back for weeks.

link to CF card trouble http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVJIHy7NA-Q

I shot 7 minutes-54 clips and 20 were bad. I do shoot real fast and edit in camera so maybe I don't give it time to shut down, I don't know?? the tape is always fine. The above clips are the 1st 14 I shot and it looks like the trouble is the last clip of one shot is on the 1st clip of the next shot. I have already given up on auto focus. If I had known about these promblems I probably would have just bought another FX1 and saved $2,500

CF Recordation issues - pending. They haven't been able to duplicate it themselves and I'm hoping to do it again. I'm trying to see if I can get a Sony CF card for testing purposes. If anyone, who has had the invalid media problem, has any problematic files, I need them - call/post/PM me as soon as possible.

Auto Focus - while we may not be too thrillled with it, it's the lens and is normal - no problems or issues found. It's just a slow lens that likes to hunt; so film accordingly.

Lens Play in Servo Mode - This was initially brought up by another Z7U owner with regards to the assumption of a lens problem based on the 1/4" extra movement in the zoom ring when in servo mode. I looked at other manual lenses and noticed slight play in them as well. Based on these findings, as well as talking with Sony, the lens play is to avoid overcranking the ring, breaking and/or misaligning the internal gears.

Long story short....the issues that were mentioned and of a concern are, at present, normal operations of the cameras and are not defects.

If anyone is unhappy with this please contact me or your reseller for more information as to what alternatives might be.

Regarding the Rolling Shutter - it's normal based on CMOS technology and has nothing to do with camera functionality.

If you have any additional questions please let me know.[/QUOTE]