View Full Version : XL1 and color balance manipulation

Steven Delisi
July 7th, 2003, 10:03 AM
i am an experienced film & video maker, but i am a novice with dv
camera operation. for my current project that is a narrative short, i would like to obtain shots that have a certain warm look based on color temperature results. i read an article where a filmmaker used tinted paper (a different shade of white i assume) to arrive at the color temp he wanted after setting the white balance on his canon xl1. can anyone detail further what he is suggesting? or, how i might white balance to get a warmer color temp? thanks for any advice. regards, steven delisi

Nathan Gifford
July 8th, 2003, 09:05 AM
The videographer is white balancing on something other than white. You can buy something called Warm Cards (http://www.warmcards.com) and do the same thing.

Steven Delisi
July 8th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Thanks Nathan! I have bookmarked the link you sent regarding Warm Cards...I will look into those as well as trying to make my own. Regards, Steve Delisi

Jeff Donald
July 8th, 2003, 04:01 PM
There are instructions on the forums. Just do a search on Warm Cards and you'll find many posts on the subject. Jay Gladwell even listes the RGB values for printing your own (at least I think it was Jay). Do a search, you'll find it.

Nick Hiltgen
July 20th, 2003, 01:56 PM
if you don't want to pay 65 bucks another cheaper thing to do woud be to go to an arts and crafts store and buy one of those multi color books of construction paper. experiment with that and see all the cool effects you can createe (and save 60 bucks)

July 20th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Some months ago I posted a message giving the CMYK color breakdowns to make your own warm cards in CorelDraw or Photoshop. I'm not sure if it's still available... should be, if you do a search.

They work great, by the way.