View Full Version : Best workflow for 16:9 24F->NLE->Letterboxed DV

Sean Evans
March 16th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but I'll get better at this. I swear.

I'm participating in a little 48-hour film festival at the end of April, and I'm trying to plan as best I can since the window for the production process is so short. I'm planning on shooting all the footage on my XH A1 in 16:9 HD 24F, capturing to Vegas 8 for editing on my PC (probably) and then rendering back to DV tape for the deliverable. The rules for the contest are slightly vague on this, since they read that the result has to be NTSC and, if you shoot it 16:9, the render should be letterboxed (implying 4:3, I guess). http://www.48hourfilm.com/filmmakers/rules-filmmaking.php (Rule N)

Any ideas on the best way to do this? Should I allow Vegas to remove the 2:3:3:2 pulldown on import, and then have it reinserted on the render? Am I losing so much resolution in the letterboxing, that I should abandon that idea and just motion track the timeline rendering it as 4:3? I'm very very new at this, so if nothing I've asked makes sense, don't hesitate to say so.

*edit* Sorry, I just realized since I'm shooting HD, there's no pulldown in the original footage. Still curious about the letterboxing, though. *edit*

Greg Hartzell
March 16th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I'd post this in the Vegas forum, since your question is pretty specific to your NLE.