View Full Version : A1 manual focus/IAF button technique

Trish Kerr
March 21st, 2008, 07:39 PM
I'm wondering about best techniques for focusing on the fly.

I'm still struggling with this. With one hand on the monopod, that leaves the one hand free for all adjustments.

I'm finding I'm relying more on the focus ring and using the IAF button far less as with my hand on the ring, I have to move it too unnaturally get to that button.

But in situations where you're trying to capture bits of conversation or action in various parts of a large room in a documentary style setting there are always a few seconds lost adjusting the ring. (or at least for me as I tend to pull it out of focus a bit more before I move into the correct position)

I'm thinking I may need to rethink my approach. I have a tendency to want it perfectly sharp - fine when you have time to set something up proper, not so good when you're on the fly.

Wondering if anyone has hints, tips or approaches to how they deal with this.

So far I've stayed away from Autofocus almost entirely (in fear of the dreaded focus hunting footage) but I'm not sure if this is too strict at the expense of getting the shot in unpredictable situations.

Or should I just retrain to have one trigger finger ready on the IAF button at all times.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Trish

Allan Black
March 21st, 2008, 09:09 PM
So far I've stayed away from Autofocus almost entirely (in fear of the dreaded focus hunting footage) but I'm not sure if this is too strict at the expense of getting the shot in unpredictable situations.

Trish

Trish, I did a day out with an extremely pro camera guy who used my A1, he was manual for everything but anything instant/up close/handheld he went autofocus without blinking an eye.

Cheers.

Shiv Kumar
March 21st, 2008, 09:46 PM
Trish,

Are you using a wide focal length? Or are you zommed in a bit?
How far are you from the subjects?
Are you a lefty?

Jack Jenkins
March 21st, 2008, 10:00 PM
Trish, I feel your pain, I too am manual all the way, but for those quick shots its tough to quickly get HD for sure in focus. I have been trying to train my finger to find that IAF button but its kinda in a weird place. One solution I was thinking about was adding something to the button so it is more apparent to my fumbling hand.

It would be cool if the AIF button was on the manual focus ring.

Bill Busby
March 21st, 2008, 10:29 PM
Just remember the IAF button is just above the shutter wheel, which obviously has a distinct feel. After studying & getting used to all the different textures & locations of the buttons, etc., I can pretty much locate all blindfolded quickly. Pretty much I said :)

Richard Gooderick
March 22nd, 2008, 04:14 AM
Same problem too when using with my fig rig but worse: it needs two hands.
I don't understand why Cannon dropped push autofocus via a lanc controller on the A1.
My XL1 and Sony A1E did it.
:-(

Paul Mailath
March 22nd, 2008, 06:07 AM
I don't understand why Cannon dropped push autofocus via a lanc controller on the A1.

I thought the ZR200 Lanc controller worked with the A1 - it's got push AF

Colin McDonald
March 22nd, 2008, 06:16 AM
But in situations where you're trying to capture bits of conversation or action in various parts of a large room in a documentary style setting there are always a few seconds lost adjusting the ring. (or at least for me as I tend to pull it out of focus a bit more before I move into the correct position)

Join the club. I'm practising picking it up and then finding the IAF button without looking in the hope I'll develop a better motor memory eventually. (Mind you that technique hasn't worked so far in finding the air con controls on my Seat Alhambra without looking so I'm not too confident).

If you go the wrong way first more often than not you could always try reversing the direction of the focusing ring.

Lou Bruno
March 22nd, 2008, 07:26 AM
I use a LANC controller which has foucus controls. Since this camera allows a manual overide in AUTO, I have never had a problem tweaking any slightly off focus with my VARIZOOM.

Same problem too when using with my fig rig but worse: it needs two hands.
My XL1 and Sony A1E did it.

Trish Kerr
March 22nd, 2008, 07:38 AM
Trish, I did a day out with an extremely pro camera guy who used my A1, he was manual for everything but anything instant/up close/handheld he went autofocus without blinking an eye.

Cheers.

So in this case, the method is flip between the manual focus ring and right to full auto focus. (no mention of the IAF button) This seems like a viable option. Does anyone else use this method?? Or go autofocus all the way in certain event situations?

Sounds like most people are sticking to manual and are utilizing the IAF button far more than I've been. At least the subject would gracefully come into focus with this approach - I'd better start working harder at locating it blind. The button would have been great on the ring indeed!

Colin
I am going to try practicing turning the ring opposite.

Shiv
Fully zoomed out it's not as much of a problem focusing - it's more if you are quicky zooming in to a med or more shot from say 5-10 feet away.

Fig rig - is the ZR200 the best lanc control as of now? I didn't think any of them worked on the IAF button.

thanks for all the tips and comments so far everyone. Very much appreciated. I'm finding the more I film, the more picky I get. : ) Originally it was enough just to hold it straight.

trish

Lonnie Bell
March 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM
Lou,
which Varizoom do you use?

I have never used a zoom control, but intuitively they seem they would work well for ZOOMING in and out...

However, I just haven't convinced myself that very fine gradations in focus, especially HD could be done using a LANC... would you please elaborate?

(there just seems to be something so organic about grabbing a lens and smooth focusing - can you do this with a LANC - that smooth slow or ramp focus?)

Thanks Lou,
Lonnie

Lou Bruno
March 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Lonnie,

I am using the VZ STEALTH attached to my DV RIG. I can assure you that it works like a charm.

We are lucky to have a camera that allows the AF to be overidden manually. All I do is slightly tap the focus control if I am a "little" out of focus and I can get a PERFECT focus. When using the peaking and magnifier it really helps....but I only use the peaking feature.

Trish Kerr
March 22nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
forgive if this is a dumb question - haven't used a controller yet - do you keep the camera on manual focus when the lanc is attached or does it disable all related functions anyway once connected?

Trish

Annie Haycock
March 22nd, 2008, 02:40 PM
Hi Trish

You can keep the camera set up just as you like it, the lanc doesn't interefere with existing settings, it is just used in addition. You can go back to using the on camera controls even with the lanc attached. The best thing with a lanc is that you don't get a judder when pressing the record button, the way you often do if you press the on-board record button with the camera on a tripod. My ultra-cheap lanc stopped working (after five years) and I can see immediately which shots were taken after it stopped working. Now I have to decide if I get another cheap one, or dig out some spare cash for a more sophisticated one.

Shiv Kumar
March 22nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
Fully zoomed out it's not as much of a problem focusing

Right, that's was I was getting at :).

I think you should practice with both auto as well as manual. Most conditions indoors will allow manual focus to work just fine especially when wide or medium (I've found). It's when the iris is stopped down due to bright light that the auto focus has a hard time.

Besides, you can still use the IAF button when autofocus is on. So you get the best of both worlds.

Richard Gooderick
March 23rd, 2008, 05:13 AM
I use a LANC controller which has foucus controls. Since this camera allows a manual overide in AUTO, I have never had a problem tweaking any slightly off focus with my VARIZOOM.

I agree with you Lou. This works fine when there is time to focus.
And the zoom creeps imperceptibly with my Bebob Zoe if I want it to. Better than using the controls on the camera. So that aspect of using the lanc is great.
However I miss the push autofocus function via the lanc in the kind of situation where I am moving around and filming a situation that is changing fast eg a group of people learning map reading skills outdoors, where framing/composition changes second by second.
In that kind of situation there isn't the time to focus manually but I know that if I press the IAF button and put the subject in the middle of the frame that the camera will focus on it.
The A1 falls short in this kind of situation compared to my other cameras. I haven't used it with my fig rig because it lacks IAF via lanc.
After reading the posts to this thread I feel I should experiment with the autofocus. I normally shoot in manual.

Annie Haycock
March 23rd, 2008, 07:03 AM
So the next question is which LANC controllers do have a push IAF button - or one that can be programmed to control this on the A1?

Lonnie Bell
March 23rd, 2008, 07:24 AM
Hi Annie,
I would like to know this as well. I have researched this forum and there are a couple of issues it seems. There was a firmware update from Canon to address LANC issues with non-Canon LANCs. But, since this update I haven't found any threads indicating which controllers "now" will work with focusing. They all seem to work the zoom properly, it's the focus that is the mystery. There are hints that Canon's ZR2000 will perform our focus concerns it even has an IAF button, but I can't find out whether it works properly, and one poster even alluded to it searching focus when used (which would be hugely problematic on a run & gun), but again I couldn't confirm if this was pre or post firmware update.

Thus, I have four specific questions:

1. Which LANCs work with focus with the A1?

2. And if they work with focus control is there a speed adjustment or is it a touch sensitive rocker for the focus control buttons, or is it only one dedicated speed, and if so, what speed - creepy slow or kind of quick??

3. And, is there a specific button dedicated to IAF and does it work well (i.e. doesn't self engage or run a 30 second search party)?

Kind of hoping Chris Hurd will join us, I know he has this camera or at least is well versed on it, and a former Varizoom guy...

Thanks,
Lonnie
p.s. I just picked up a Varizoom Pro L on ebay, and when it arrives I'll test and let you know - it has focus buttons - but no IAF.

Lonnie Bell
March 23rd, 2008, 07:34 AM
...and in anticipation of the next question:

"Originally Posted by Bill Busby
To see your firmware version, place the A1 in card mode, then switch to VCR mode. In the menu, go to System Setup. It should show you the firmware version grayed out."

I believe the latest should read Firmware 1.0.1.0

Jim Miller
March 23rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
That doesn't work for me. No software version shows up.

What works for me is to turn the camera on to VCR mode then switch to card mode. In card mode select menu then system setup.

firmware shows up greyed out - Mine says 1.0.0.0 how do you upgrade?

Lonnie Bell
March 23rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
JIM,
on the handle side of your cam, next to composite out terminal, slide the switch to card (not tape), then put the camera in VCR mode...

Annie Haycock
March 23rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Worked for me, mine is 1.0.1.0

You have to have the camera in card mode - system setup in any other mode won't give you that option. Life would be so much easier if system setup meant the same however you got to it!!

Lonnie Bell
March 23rd, 2008, 12:42 PM
Mine is at the recent upgrade, so I didn't have to fuss here Jim.
If memory serves me correctly, I believe if you call Canon Support, you'll probably have to send it in. Search these threads - it's in here somewhere.

Good luck,
Lonnie

Trish Kerr
March 25th, 2008, 07:19 AM

Does this mean you keep it in autofocus on the camera, and then use the controller to tweak if the autofocus is messing up, ie focusing on a fence way behind the two foreground subjects you are targeting?

No answer from anyone on a succesful IAF button on a lanc controller. Maybe there isn't one that works yet.

Trish

Lonnie Bell
March 25th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Trish,
I will test a few with instant AF at NAB in addition to the one I have coming - which only has focus adjust buttons. Hopefully they will have XHA1's under their displays. Last year I was allowed a backpack in the joint - I'll see if I can bring my A1 in for accessory shopping purchases.

Lonnie

Trish Kerr
March 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Great

Would love to go to NAB someday. Wish I was in vegas now! Yet another storm coming in.

Trish

James R. Leong
March 26th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I tried one of those $29 Digital Concepts lancs. It works quite well with focus and variable speed zoom. You can hold the focus buttons down or tap to focus. There's a display on.off, record, camera on.off, zoom rocker, zoom speed dial. the only thing that doesn't work is Photo button for stills, no IAF.

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/42000095/Images/7/RC-800_leg_350.jpg

Shiv Kumar
March 26th, 2008, 06:01 PM
James,

Thanks for the info and image! I'm sure Trish will be thrilled too :)

I have a question for you though...

Push or tap to focus, you say. Would you explain that som more. I see the picture of the device, but the angle is such that I can't see everything clearly.

I see "N"ear and "F"ar. I just don't understand the push or tap part :).

James R. Leong
March 26th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Hi Shiv

When you press the N or F button and hold, it focuses or defocuses continuously. Then you can fine tune the focus, by pressing the N or F momentarily, press and let go. I find it more accurate than using the focus ring!

Shiv Kumar
March 26th, 2008, 11:03 PM
James,

Ok, I get it now. Thanks for the explanation.

Trish Kerr
March 27th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I tried one of those $29 Digital Concepts lancs. ....

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/42000095/Images/7/RC-800_leg_350.jpg

$29 dollars?? Any idea where you can get these? I can only find reference to a few tripods that have them attached on amazon - can it actually be removed and used without?

Trish

Lonnie Bell
March 27th, 2008, 08:40 AM
By the design in the picture Trish, it has a clamping knob...

James R. Leong
March 28th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Hi Trish.... Some camera stores have this lanc listed up to $75. They do sell a combo tripod/lanc too. However there a few camera dealers on ebay that have the lanc itself, factory sealed, listed from $28.95 to $65.00. just type in lanc in search. One store listed it as XH-A1 compatible. It shows up on amazon as $31.89

Picture of Bubble Pak:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0011ECIUE/sr=8-3/qid=1206684165/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics&qid=1206684165&sr=8-3

Simon Dean
October 13th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Okay, so any ideas if they're available in the UK anywhere? B&H have 'em but the postage is $50!

Paul Mailath
October 13th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I got one off ebay - seems to work okay. The zoom has a 'click' which is annoying and is picked up on the mike - there is no IAF. for the price I think it's fine.

I was actually wondering about mounting a cable on to the camera (XH-A1). remember the old shutter cable for a 35mm SLR? - if you could mount a screw attachment over the IAF button and attach a cable - you'd have a remote for the AIF.

just a thought - I'm not game to try it.

Simon Dean
October 14th, 2008, 03:12 AM
The click is not a problem as it'll be for on a jib. I'm interested as it's so cheap and has focus buttons - not for 'live' focussing, but once it's up on the jib it's nice to be able to tell the autofocus what I'm interested in if it's got it wrong.

I couldn't find it on ebay when I looked, but I'll have another trawl through - thanks for your help!

Paul Mailath
October 14th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Bright new LANC remote controller for Sony Canon Camera - eBay, Other Accessories, Video Camera Accessories, Cameras. (end time 23-Oct-08 17:01:30 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bright-new-LANC-remote-controller-for-Sony-Canon-Camera_W0QQitemZ160291853852QQihZ006QQcategoryZ23780QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Simon Dean
October 14th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks! I realise now that it's because I was using ebay.co.uk not ebay.com - the UK site has nothing it seems.

Ta muchly.

Erick Munari
October 15th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Boy, I can't find where to plug the LANC on my XHA1!!?

Bryce Comer
October 15th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Erick,
Just to the left of the record button is a plastic flap that has the lanc connection behind it. I'm petty sure it's the top one from memory.

Bryce

John B. Nelson
October 16th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks to this thread I ordered the Digital Concepts LANCS from Amazon on Monday and received it today. This is going to make shooting video a lot easier.

I tried it out and all of the controls work perfectly. I haven't tried the "photo" button yet, I normally don't use that function anyway. But for $29, this is probally the best bargain I have found in a long time.

Travis Fadler
October 16th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Man if knew about these Lancs 2 months ago I could have saved $400. Crap!

Jonathan Plotkin
October 18th, 2008, 08:52 AM
1. Which LANCs work with focus with the A1?
2. And if they work with focus control is there a speed adjustment or is it a touch sensitive rocker for the focus control buttons, or is it only one dedicated speed, and if so, what speed - creepy slow or kind of quick??
3. And, is there a specific button dedicated to IAF and does it work well (i.e. doesn't self engage or run a 30 second search party)?

The Varizoom VZ-Rock works fine with the A1. The focus control is a fixed speed rocker switch and works at a useable moderate speed. No IAF.

Phil Taylor
October 19th, 2008, 11:25 AM
The newer version of Varizoom Stealth Lanc Controller (LX) has an Auto Focus on and off selection.

Varizoom VZ Stealth LX for LANC compatible camcorders

Easy to use and offering the complete range of LANC features, the Stealth-LX shares the compact, versatile design of the Stealth, but with three extra features: Autofocus On/Off, Data On/Off and Tape Search.

The LX version of the Stealth has three additional features: Data, Autofocus, and Tape Search. A stylish, lightweight body houses our improved, second-generation proprietary electronics. The pressure-sensitive 'throttle' control allows you to ease into zooms in either direction, hold a steady speed, or instantly accelerate into a 'crash' zoom. The Stealth is completely intuitive and smooth, requiring no setup, power, or operator skill. This unique miniature control offers unmatched convenience, value, and performance.

Throttle provides variable-speed zoom control
Dedicated "rocker style" focus button
Low profile record/pause button
Power On/Off button for toggling camera into or out of standby mode
Switch between auto and manual focus with the 'A' button
Toggle onscreen information (tape time, settings) on and off with 'Data' button
Review taped footage with F+ and F- (edit search)
LED light indicates recording

Curtis Edwards
October 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM
$29 dollars?? Any idea where you can get these? I can only find reference to a few tripods that have them attached on amazon - can it actually be removed and used without?

Trish

They are all over Ebay not high end but.....pretty good for the price!