View Full Version : Is my Xh a1 broken

Mark Doherty
March 28th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I turned on my 4 month old canon xh a1 last night to receive the scare of my life, when i turn it on in any mode all i get on the viewfinder and the lcd is a blank white screen.

Has anyone heard of this happening before.

Should this be covered under warranty.

Bill Pryor
March 28th, 2008, 11:38 AM
It definitely should be under warranty.

Larry Vaughn
March 28th, 2008, 01:36 PM
It's free, so when you send it in ask to join the XL-XL owners club. The do give priority for members.

Bill Busby
March 28th, 2008, 04:48 PM
... when i turn it on in any mode all i get on the viewfinder and the lcd is a blank white screen.

I'm assuming you mean all shooting modes & not playback mode as well? If so, check your standby/lock switch :)

edit: ooops! I didn't notice the "white screen".

Bryan Gilchrist
March 28th, 2008, 11:03 PM
What mode do you turn it on to? Manual ("M")? If so, then you need to adjust your exposure. Try turning it to the very last option (the green square) and see if you still get nothing but white.

Chris Hurd
March 29th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Also locate the reset button under the flip-out LCD panel near the speaker and press it with the end of a a paper clip -- I believe you need to have the power source disconnected when doing this. If it doesn't work, then it's a trip to Canon service. If it works, then perform a full system reset via Menu > System Steup > Reset All > Yes.