View Full Version : Create peak files in a different path (Pro 8)

Daniel Browning
March 31st, 2008, 12:59 PM
How do you configure Vegas to use a different path when creating peak files (.svk)? Right now it uses the same path as the media file itself, which causes a lot of seeks and reduced performance compared to a sequential operation to a second scratch or project array.

Edward Troxel
March 31st, 2008, 01:04 PM
You don't. They're always created in the same folder as the original media.

Daniel Browning
March 31st, 2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks.

Are there any other programs that can create Vegas-compatible peak files?

Edward Troxel
March 31st, 2008, 02:00 PM
Why? Vegas would just create them in the same folder as the original media again.

Daniel Browning
March 31st, 2008, 02:34 PM
Why? Vegas would just create them in the same folder as the original media again.

Because it would be much faster to create them on a scratch disk and move them to the media folder. As it is I can't even break 10% cpu utilization, even with 320 MB/s read and 100 MB/s write arrays (because it wont use my write arrays).

Danny Fye
March 31st, 2008, 02:48 PM
You don't. They're always created in the same folder as the original media.

Maybe something to add to the next version/update of Vegas?

I don't want to try to specify all the functions I have noticed this but I have noticed that there are a number of times when Vegas was using the same drive for I/O for a number of things it does when it would be much more efficient if it used a separate drive.

I've even seen it use the C: drive at times even though I chose a different drive for temp files. After rendering an hours worth of video I noticed that Vegas is copying a file on the same drive. So even at 100% there is still a few more minutes before it is done.

I guess one could get a raid 0 and solve at least part of the problem but I do not want to take a chance with a raid 0 system.

The goal is to make Vegas use of hard drives as efficient as possible. Sorry to say but right now it isn't. :(

Another thing to add and a little bit off topic is a much more efficient way of rendering *.wmv files. I don't know what the process is but it is very inefficient.

Don't get me wrong, in spite of some issues, I still love Vegas!

Danny Fye
www.vidmus.com/scolvs