View Full Version : first clip (and post)

Morgan Maassen
April 1st, 2008, 12:20 PM
hello,
my name is morgan, i am 17 and have had my xh-a1 since december. shortly after i purchased my xh-a1, i was invited to go surf and shoot on the north shore of hawaii. below is the clip i made, please watch it and let me know what you think!

www.bogus08.com/hawaii.mp4

(4:30 and 75mb)

Jim OBrien
April 1st, 2008, 01:29 PM
Looks nice! Your camera work is very smooth. That's not easy went shooting something so far away. Were those timelapse sequences done in-camera or in editing?

Jim Miller
April 1st, 2008, 04:04 PM
Great job! I agree with Jim - very smooth - which is a real challenge on those long shots.

Morgan Maassen
April 4th, 2008, 12:09 AM
thanks! for the timelapses, i just shot them on tape and sped them up in FCP.

Jay Hobbs
April 4th, 2008, 10:22 AM
If this is your leisure stuff ... then I'd like to hire you and move you to my area! LOL Keep up the good work, looks like you're a natural.

Steve Kachocki
April 4th, 2008, 08:02 PM
24 frames? or 60?

A well done piece of video and great music as well. I second other people's comments that you are a natural with the camera.

nice work.

Morgan Maassen
April 5th, 2008, 05:28 PM
thank you, everyone. i shot this in 30f, and made it for fun.

Bob Thompson
April 5th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Great stuff Morgan, now waiting for the 2nd video

Ben Leitschuh
April 6th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Great stuff Morgan. As a fellow surf photographer, I can really appreciate what it takes to go out and shoot some worthwhile footage. Of course filming the North Shore when its firing helps. Love the action at Pipe and the high angle shots of Waimea? One thing I've noticed while shooting surf with the A1 is that letting the camera have any control over the exposure is very bad. This means using full manual with AGC and AWB turned off. I'm not sure what was left on in your video, but it looked like the exposure was compensating for the harsh bright light reflecting of the white wash making for abrupt changes. Hardly noticeable though. Nice job with the edit as well. Looking forward to seeing more. The hardest part of being a surfer/photographer is staying out of the water, keep it up.

Shiv Kumar
April 7th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Morgan,

That's a very well done video all around. You have some promising talent. Keep it up!