View Full Version : nNovia small camera mount w/ Canon XL?

Mike Meyerson
April 1st, 2008, 07:27 PM
I'm looking into buying a nNovia QC-HD recorder w/ the small camera mount (uses Canon BP batteries), to be used with my Canon XLh1 and XL1.

Has anyone mounted it on the Canon XL's wireless receiver plate on the rear of the Camera? I'm sure it can be "made to fit", just wondering if anyone's done it and how much modifying it took.

thanks.

Josh Chesarek
April 1st, 2008, 07:30 PM
I'm looking into buying a nNovia QC-HD recorder w/ the small camera mount (uses Canon BP batteries), to be used with my Canon XLh1 and XL1.

Has anyone mounted it on the Canon XL's wireless receiver plate on the rear of the Camera? I'm sure it can be "made to fit", just wondering if anyone's done it and how much modifying it took.

thanks.

I have the XH-A1 and the QC-HD with the mount. Would some detailed pictures of the small camera mount give you an idea?

Mike Meyerson
April 1st, 2008, 07:37 PM
I have the XH-A1 and the QC-HD with the mount. Would some detailed pictures of the small camera mount give you an idea?

thanks, I know how it's "supposed" to mount with the smaller camera's, but I don't like the idea of mounting the heavier XLh1 on top of it on a tripod...and it's a bad location for hand held work with the XL's. I want to mount it to the back of the camera on top of the XLR inputs.

Josh Chesarek
April 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM
thanks, I know how it's "supposed" to mount with the smaller camera's, but I don't like the idea of mounting the heavier XLh1 on top of it on a tripod...and it's a bad location for hand held work with the XL's. I want to mount it to the back of the camera on top of the XLR inputs.

Yeah, I thought some photos of the unit might give you an idea of what would be needed in terms of mods to do the mount you want.

Mike Meyerson
April 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I thought some photos of the unit might give you an idea of what would be needed in terms of mods to do the mount you want.

If you have better pictures of the unit then are on the nNovia site, they might help. Does the actual tripod mounting block come off? Does the case itself have holes that I can screw the receiver plate into?

BTW...who do you like the QC-HD?

THANKS!

Josh Chesarek
April 1st, 2008, 09:36 PM
The block you are seeing is what the camera sits on. From what I can tell, yes you can take it off, See attached photo. It has screws which wont be too easy to get to as they do not have their own holes on the bottom to access them from below but you can use the center one if your screw driver is not too big. This would remove the center block, the outer part of the block appears to just be some foam padding that could be cut off. The case its self seems solid but I think it would be easy to drill holes into with any decent drill. There are some holes along the side that are used by a bracket that holds the drive in place but they are on the same side the batter mount is on which would mean you would have to move that to use the holes, however, if you take off the camera block, you could possibly reuse those holes which would mount the case to the camera and leave the batter off to the left.

Over all I have been really happy with the QCHD. I wrote a review on my Website (http://www.simplethoughtproductions.com/2008/02/27/nnovia-qc-hd-120gb-small-camera-mount/) which is also found in the DVInfo Articles :)

Mike Meyerson
April 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM
cool...thanks. I could probably just take off that tripod mounting plate and use the existing holes...looks do-able.

another question...how long do the Canon batteries last while powering the nNovia?

Josh Chesarek
April 1st, 2008, 09:56 PM
cool...thanks. I could probably just take off that tripod mounting plate and use the existing holes...looks do-able.

another question...how long do the Canon batteries last while powering the nNovia?

I have not had a chance to do full testing yet but My Canon G battery (5200mAh) has powered my unit for 4 hours and still had over 1/2 left on a battery meter. I have noticed that the make media function and such seemingly work faster when they are plugged into the wall as opposed to when on battery.

Tyge Floyd
August 25th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I know I'm posting on an aged thread, so sorry for that.

Mike, I was wondering if you ever bought the QC HD and Canon mount?
If so how did you end up mounting it to the XL camera?
Any pictures of your setup?
Do you run a wireless receiver as well? If so, how did you mount it?

Josh, I spent some time on your site reading the reviews and such. Some great info there. Thanks.

Josh Chesarek
August 25th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Always welcome. And I have just what you want... or what I wanted... I spinged for a Canon XL-H1A!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachments/canon-xl-h1s-h1a-h1-hdv-camcorders/8736d1219171097-just-ordered-xlh1a-xl-h1a.jpg

I will try to add some more. Basically It attaches with a Tripod Screw through the main hold. I need to refine my attachment method but it works.

I bought a standard tripod screw with a wide head so I can screw it in by hand, and a few washers and was on my way.

Mike Meyerson
August 25th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I know I'm posting on an aged thread, so sorry for that.

Mike, I was wondering if you ever bought the QC HD and Canon mount?
If so how did you end up mounting it to the XL camera?

I did...and I had to return it because it didn't play well with my avid (supposedly some bugs, since fixed in a new version of Media Composer). I was able to mount it on the bracket that goes onto the rear of the camera...just had to drill 1 hole and find the right size bolt.

Tyge Floyd
August 25th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Josh, I would love to see a top view of your setup so I can see how much is hanging over the Canon mounting bracket.
Do you have to remove the whole recorder from the camera mount to change Mediapacs?

I spent an hour on the phone with Adrienne at nNovia today getting some questions about this system answered.

Thanks for the prompt replies, guys.

Josh Chesarek
August 25th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I can change packs without removing it easily and its screen is facing me which makes it easy to control it while filming on a tripod. you could have it take less space going vertical but I liked this setup.

Tyge Floyd
August 26th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks again, Josh. That's the view I wanted to see. I'm thinking I'll mount mine vertically and maybe then it will fit in my camera bag without having to remove it each time.

Josh Chesarek
August 26th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I went with the thumb screw to make it easy for removal :) ill have to look at it when home, but if you mout it vertical I think you will be blocking the on off, and firewire and if you mount the other way, you wont be able to open the bay and easily use the buttons.

Harn Soper
October 1st, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hi Mike,

It looks like you are getting good advice from the clan. I've attached our catalog that has some pictures that might help. If you could send me a picture of the Canon wireless plate you are thinking about, I can ask the wizards in the shop if they can recommend a solution. Sometimes they will do it for you. They like the break from performing minor miracles all day. My email is harn at nnovia dot com. My best, Harn Soper, nNovia.

Mike Meyerson
October 1st, 2008, 05:04 PM
Hi Mike,

It looks like you are getting good advice from the clan. I've attached our catalog that has some pictures that might help. If you could send me a picture of the Canon wireless plate you are thinking about, I can ask the wizards in the shop if they can recommend a solution. Sometimes they will do it for you. They like the break from performing minor miracles all day. My email is harn at nnovia dot com. My best, Harn Soper, nNovia.

thanks Harn...but this thread is from April.