View Full Version : Ripple Dissolve

Rob Wood
April 2nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
I'm having difficulty achieving a good ripple dissolve in Vegas... that effect used in animation and television to indicate a cut to a dream-sequence (commonly accompanied by a harp glissando or metal chimes)

I've seen mention of using the wave plug-in with Vegas on a couple forums but no specific (or general) keyframe settings which this needs to look right.

Would anyone have a recipe? I'm not really keen on having to load AE to accomplish this. Given the number of transitions offered in Vegas I'm surprised this one isn't offered in the presets. Or is it called something else and I'm overlooking it?

thx
rob

Don Bloom
April 2nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
maybe do the dissolve and use the TV wave FX over that? Just guessing but with a little work that might give the effect you want.

Don

Tim Ducharme
April 3rd, 2008, 12:43 PM
Hi, Rob

I use the Video FX called "Wave". I make key frame adjustments to Vertical only (waves, amplitude and phase). I use a simple cross fade and reverse the effect on the second event. For example, you can have the wave effect last for two seconds at the end of the first event and the beginning of the second event with a one second cross fade. The result is a three second effect. I used this for a "day dream" sequence and it worked perfectly.

Good luck.

Jeff Harper
April 3rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks, Tim. Great, simple effect...I really appreciate it!

Rob Wood
April 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Thx for the input Tim and Don... I'm trying to create a few variations and will put your suggestions into the mix.

thx again
rob

Tony Spring
April 5th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Vitascene from Prodad software has some great ripple fx..