View Full Version : HVX200 and zeppeliner

Svein Rune Skilnand
April 2nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
They told me it couldn`t be done. So I did it. Tired of having my audio ruined by wind I bought a zeppeliner from Rycote.

The next problem was carrying it all. Tripod, camera, zeppeliner and rucksack.
No hands free. With this setup I don`t worry anymore. The salesperson said there was no way to mount a zeppeliner on camera.

The only problem now is that some people find the camera intimidating and calling it a bazooka. And yes it was a cold day.

Dan Brockett
April 2nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
Svein:

You have a small dog growing out of the handle of your HVX! Get a collar and some food for that pup!

Dan

Ben Winter
April 2nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Was it a cold day?

Doug Okamoto
April 2nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
That's funny that the saleperson said there was no way to put a Rycote Softie on a camera. Probably not as imaginative as you are! You do know that it's better on a boompole though right?

Charlie Campbell
April 5th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Can you say anything about the challenges of getting proper exposure while not letting the whites blow-out in the snow? Tips, techniques?

Svein Rune Skilnand
April 11th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Shooting in these conditions can be difficult. And this praticular day was a bad one. There was slate and rain in the air, with a little sun from time to time.

I usually look for contours in the snow, in this instance the skitracks, and set my exposure so that these will be shown in the viewfinder. Then I see what the subject looks like and adjust maybe no more than an F- stop.

I do this for national TV and have never had any complaints. I also use whatever ND- filter my HVX200 recommends.

I actually find that the HVX performs well under these conditions. My biggest problem is that I sometimes find the viewfinder and the LCD not as sharp as I would like them to, leaving me uncertain as to whether the subject is in sharp focus. Could be my eyes though.